Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Repo weapons vs. original

I have a question. How can you tell a repo weapon, cape eyt from the real thing??? How easy is it to be fooled??
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

I am no pro at detecting repos from originals, but it almost always seems like a difference in feel and (believe it or not) the weight. The repos seem to feel lighter. Maybe thats just me...
    My Jedi name is Merdar Iyu
    Chewie? Chewie!!! Have you even seen Star Wars?!!
    "Lev, have you ever heard of Evil Kenevil?" "No, I never saw Star Wars"

I'm pretty sure all our vintage CL figs have authentic weapons but I've never seen or felt a repo weapon and was curious. Thanks very much
    It is never to late to be what you might have been. (George Eliot)

Courage is as often the outcome of despair as hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, all to gain (Diane De Poiters)

how can you tell vintage weapons from reproductions/new weapons?

seems like a lot of ebay 'vintage weapons' for sale could be reproductions or new stuff. how can you tell the diff? thanks.

Usually, it's been my experience that well-done repros are difficult to spot just by looking, but can almost always be identified by the so-called drop test.

Vintage weapons were made from a softer plastic than their repro'ed counterparts of today, and make a richer sound when dropped onto a hard surface. It is very obvious, actually.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yes, I agree this is the best method. Unfortunetly you can't exactly do the drop test on an ebay auction . Best way to tell is ask. Chances are a seller will respond right away if you call his stuff fake. There is always a matter of trust on ebay, but if you get them and think they are fake, then you can always try to call the seller on it and get your money back.

Good visual tests are very helpful If it looks to shinny, it's probally a fake. If it's a stange color that you don't recognize (like gray or dark gray) it's probally a fake. If the sabers are true red or yellow it's probally a fake (remeber the sabers for Luke and Vader where a kind of pale color). If a seller has tons of one kind of weapon it's probally a fake.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your search for vintage weapons.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

There's other thread floating around with more tips and tricks. But the drop test is over all the best. I've heard some rumors about some repos out of Japan that use the same type of plastic as the original, some you can't tell the different. Again its a rumor I've heard.
    Another one I have is texture. Real lightsabers (non telescope) have a texture. Repos a very smooth, but a light touch or lick it (don't ask) will reveal the real.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Too bad Hasbro won't go back to these weapons especially the imperial blaster. They seem more accurate in scale than POTF2 versions and sturdier than the new rubbery ones.

Repros just suck

Now that I am on my quest to get a set of loose vintage figures, I find this repro problem is a real pain in the bum. While I can dig the idea that some folks want to complete an old figure without paying a lot for a weapon, I really hate being in the position of trying to recognize fake from legit, so much so that I wish they had never decided to make repros!

BTW- about 5 threads lurking in around could be merged into this one. I found this when I searched for "repro"
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Re: how can you tell vintage weapons from repro/new weapons? replica or original?(mer

I'm not finding my thread (I sure it not this one), but this site about repros is one of the best. I learned more in a few minutes there about real and repro accessories than hours spent here and other sites. It not complete and they know it, but its still a very good resource.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane