Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: how can you tell vintage weapons from repro/new weapons? replica or original?(mer

I have one vintage fig and its luke and its MOC, and its paying for my college

Re: how can you tell vintage weapons from repro/new weapons? replica or original?(merged)

Nice find LusiferSam. That site looks like a great resource for vintage collectors. When I started to reassemble my vintage collection a few years ago I had no idea how much of the repro stuff was out there.

Sy Snootles lip synchs

Re: how can you tell vintage weapons from repro/new weapons? replica or original?(merged)

I've seen that site. It's pretty good. What ticks me off is the number of dealers out there who sell grey repros and say nothing about it. I guess the best thing to do is buy from sellers who are obviously ditching their childhood collection. Those folks are pretty easy to spot. Also, some dealers will say the weapon is a repro, so if you look at their other auctions I think it is safe to say they are legit.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

If there are scars right beneath them, they are probably fake. Not that it matters.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The reason why I will probably never buy a vinyl Jawa is due to the fact that the price I'd be willing to pay would either mean 1) it's a fake, or 2) the seller is clueless. There are more fake sellers out there than clueless ones, I think.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I'm not sure on this fake/repro thread was dug up versus any of the others, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer View Post
    Spotting a fake vinyl cape - the repro capes I've come accross are only smooth on one side - the other side was rough textured.
    The vintage ones were smooth on both sides.
    This is not correct. Original vintage capes are textured one side and smooth on the other. Run your fingernail lightly across a side, one should give a zipper like sound and one nothing.

As for as weapons and the like go, The Jawa's Armory is the best site I've found for helping id repros. Man, this is a really old thread. One has yet to mention the drop test as a first step.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

That's because there are about 5 other threads that are about 5 times better. Perhaps we could have them merged.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    Original vintage capes are textured one side and smooth on the other. Run your fingernail lightly across a side, one should give a zipper like sound and one nothing.
    This is ture. You can see a cross-hatching pattern on one side of real vintage vinyl capes.

As for weapons, to spot a fake you must be very familiar with what an orginal looks like. You must know all the details because it is in the details that the fake can be spoted. Also color can be a good indicator. Especially if it is the absolute wrong color. Like a grey Leia blaster, or a blue jawa gun. Also, some fakes are painted. Like the wicket spears, if you take a fingernail and scratch at them, the brown pait comes right off.

Then there is the brittleness of the fakes. You can feel the difference when you hold it. If you try to flex it a bit it will not bend easily and it will most likely break. I did this in a toy shop once. The guy asked if I thought the Lando Skiff pike was a fake. It was funny colored and was low on detail. So I told him I thought it was fake and showed him the bend test against a pike I felt to be orginal. THe orginal bent a bit the fake broke in half. "See, a fake!" At first the guy was real mad that I broke it, but it confirmed that it was a fake and he would never have knowing sold a fake anyway, so he was glad I disposed of it.
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716

Quote Originally Posted by sjd9299 View Post
    As for weapons, to spot a fake you must be very familiar with what an orginal looks like. You must know all the details because it is in the details that the fake can be spoted.
    The devil is in the details. And the details can be a devil. I've run across some very, very high quality repros that look, feel and sound just like the real thing. sjd9299 if you haven't checked out the Jawa's Armory site you should. I've learned more about repros there than anywhere else.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam View Post
    The devil is in the details. And the details can be a devil. I've run across some very, very high quality repros that look, feel and sound just like the real thing. sjd9299 if you haven't checked out the Jawa's Armory site you should. I've learned more about repros there than anywhere else.
    Thanks for the reference. I did not learn anything new here and I was disapointed to not find many of the well known weapon variations such as the Rancor Keeper's staff, or Bib Fortuna's staff. They don't even list Romba and Wicket as having different weapons. It is a good picture reference though and shows some good repros.
    I am Toyhunter80's
    Check my vintage weapons trade list. Updated post 19: http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/sho...078#post519078
    I collect and play Star Wars Miniatures too. If you have some to trade check out my trade page
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=654716