Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome R2-D2

Gold Dome R2-D2

I recently came across a beautiful, nearly perfect, vintage R2-D2 with a gold dome. I've seen some sporadic references to a gold dome R2-D2, but I'm wondering if this is a true variant. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks!
    Yoda - "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you."

To be honest, I've never heard of one. Is that the only difference from the "regular" one? (same sticker on body? white color of body? clicking sound when dome turns?)
    "That's what Sheev said."

I know a little bit about this. I've tried to find a picture to post so every can see what we're talking about, but keep coming up empty. Any way it looks just like the regular R2, but the dome has a gold tint to it. I've only seen this on the original R2, not the sensorscope or pop-up lightsaber versions.

My feeling is this is not a true variation. But rather a discoloration. It's a bit like the 'green limb' Chewbacca. I see not reason to believe it's a true variation. In terms of what happening, there should be a layer of clear varnish over the metallic paint on the dome. Metallic paints chip and flake very easily. As the varnish ages it yellows and now you have a clear yellow hue over a silver background. The result is a gold tint.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Thanks for all of your input! It could be yellowing from age, but there is almost no wear on the dome at all and everything else (sticker and plastic) is perfectly white and the limbs are as tight as I've ever seen on an original R2. It's like it just came off of the card. I've posted some photos next to another R2 that I have (the gold dome R2 is the one on the left), but the color difference isn't very noticieable. Like Lucifer Sam said, it just has a gold tint to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3742.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	22843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3743.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	22844   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3744.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	22845  
    Yoda - "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you."

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...48389672FzbzQZ

It's the one on the right, you can see the gold hue on the chrome. I don't believe vac-metalizing ages, so it's likely to be something else.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks for the additional pics! That's exactly how my R2's dome looks and compares with other R2s. My camera just doesn't show it very well.

Sure thing. I wish I had an answer for what the story is with these, but I don't know what's up, I just know they exist. I've seen them at trade shows before, it looks like standard vac-metal with a thin gold-hued clear material over that, like a sealant with an antique tone.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Ok I found a thread at RS that talks about this and has photos. There's a couple of really good photos clearly showing the gold tint. Also the a prototype looking gold plastic dome, which is not what we're talking about.

I'd agree with JT about the vac metal itself shouldn't age. The clear coat the protects the vac metal could age however. What's bother me is why. Most of the gold dome R2 I have seen are super clear and very white. If it's aging only why is it only the dome? What is the COO of you're R2s roberr22?
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Ok, those photos add to what I suspected, that it's a sealant or some other type of topcoat that is this color. You can see areas where it doesn't show on out-bent curves where it'd be the thinnest, and you can see areas where it's concentrated on inward-bent curves where it would have pooled. My guess is this is due to multiple factories running these, and one of them ran a different material than the others which had different properties. Even if it's a sign of aging, it's also still a sign of true variant.