Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Well, last night's TOS remastered ep, Patterns of Force, was great, they didn't have a lot of fx shots to do but the ones they did seemed pretty good, especially the beginning and end fly-bys. The ep itself felt a little rushed, I suspect a little of that comes from the excised 2 minutes for syndication, but it's still a solid tale.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    He was raised as a young child by humans, I think that'd fit pretty well. Plus, in '87 it's not like there was much Klingon to compare it to, just a few movies and the guys who created it (James Doohan came up with the sounds and Marc Okrand the language) didn't work extensively with Dorn to make his pronunciation right.
    Actually, the Star Trek I and III are fairly awesome in their accuracy with regard to pronouncing Klingon, but I still say the other Klingons we could compare Worf to in the series were just as bad.

They weren't very consistent with the borg in general though - originally they're born borg and only the technology is what they're assimilating.
    Yeah, but I'm willing to forgive them since that changed for BoBW.

He wrote some B5 and then dropped the ball with Trek? I can only assume either he got caught up in the fan interest in the series or the publisher or Paramount made demands of him. And I'm shocked to hear he wrote Imzadi and then went on to do sex drivel, I really liked Imzadi, it was one of the first bigger novels to fit right with the canon, and Imzadi was very nuanced and mature about those relationships. That's a shame that it fell apart.
    It's pretty cool that you liked Imzadi. I haven't read it in years, but it's the only Trek novel I've read twice and the first time I read it I finished it in a day. My mother read it and said she was surprised it was written by a man. I always remember when Riker is told he's drunk and he responds that that is a nasty rumor spread by people he's tripped over. Yeah, to this day I have no idea what started what you aptly describe as sex drivel, but I guess the Enterprise writers read and enjoyed it since every episode I forced myself to watch of that series involved someone spreading anti-bacterial gel over a very cold T'Pol, though I'll hypocritically point out that having Hoshi topless and holding her breasts was excellent writing. I might have watched a few moere episodes of that.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace View Post
    Actually, the Star Trek I and III are fairly awesome in their accuracy with regard to pronouncing Klingon
    Well, they should be, that's the movies that James "Scotty" Doohan and Marc Okrand created it for, respectively - in ST1 Scotty came up with sounds based on the English dialogue the actors were speaking that matched the mouth movements, while in ST3 linguist Marc Okrand went back to Doohan's work on ST1 and used it to create an entire language.

It's pretty cool that you liked Imzadi. I haven't read it in years, but it's the only Trek novel I've read twice and the first time I read it I finished it in a day. My mother read it and said she was surprised it was written by a man. I always remember when Riker is told he's drunk and he responds that that is a nasty rumor spread by people he's tripped over. Yeah, to this day I have no idea what started what you aptly describe as sex drivel, but I guess the Enterprise writers read and enjoyed it since every episode I forced myself to watch of that series involved someone spreading anti-bacterial gel over a very cold T'Pol, though I'll hypocritically point out that having Hoshi topless and holding her breasts was excellent writing. I might have watched a few moere episodes of that.
    I haven't read it in years either, and I never read sci-fi novels twice, no idea why. I guess I like time-travel stories in general, and this one resonated hard.

My guess is the sex drivel in the books is meant to pander to the romance novel audience whom they feel will be more loyal than regular trekkies. As for the shows (from DS9 season 6 and beyond), they seem to be trying to get both the soap opera crowd and the teenage boys out for lust crowd.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.