Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A darned short movie?!

In the latest issue of the Insider, Rick McCallum made some startling announcements. First, that EP3's script is 102 pages long (an average-length movie's script is usually clocked at 120...although, the script might also be so short because there are some huge-scale battles in the movie and Lucas doesn't provide a blow-by-blow account of them), and he also straight-out stated that Episode III will probably be the shortest movie in the series!

I can't help but wonder if this will be good or bad. For one thing, we don't exactly know just how much shorter EP3 will be. Maybe it's only five minutes shorter? I hope!
    It might be a good thing -- because good and important scenes will get precedence on being put into the final cut, which reduces the chances of superfluous bullcrap scenes slipping in (like the picnic scene in Episode II).
    Sure, I'd rather have a short, intense movie than a long, drawn-out, dull one, but I sure hope this won't be some 80-minute movie like Phone Booth, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin2121
    In the latest issue of the Insider, Rick McCallum made some startling announcements. First, that EP3's script is 102 pages long (an average-length movie's script is usually clocked at 120...although, the script might also be so short because there are some huge-scale battles in the movie and Lucas doesn't provide a blow-by-blow account of them), and he also straight-out stated that Episode III will probably be the shortest movie in the series!

I can't help but wonder if this will be good or bad. For one thing, we don't exactly know just how much shorter EP3 will be. Maybe it's only five minutes shorter? I hope!
    It might be a good thing -- because good and important scenes will get precedence on being put into the final cut, which reduces the chances of superfluous bullcrap scenes slipping in (like the picnic scene in Episode II).
    Sure, I'd rather have a short, intense movie than a long, drawn-out, dull one, but I sure hope this won't be some 80-minute movie like Phone Booth, either.
    Tough call. Frankly, AOTC was vastly improved with the cuts made for the IMAX version so it's heartening to think that maybe George got it through his head to stick to the main story this time. Also, there really isn't that much to cover in Episode III without delving into sequences filmed mainly to please over-enthusiastic fanboys (ie, seeing Anakin post-fight in some Vader getup, seeing Luke delivered to Tatooine, seeing Dagabah/Cloud City/or Alderaan for some silly OT tie-in reasons, etc.) Episode III certainly could be very much to the point and still be entertaining so long as Lucas gets some help in the script polishing department just like the old days. Won't happen, of course, but we can remain optimistic nonetheless.

Actually, 120 pages is long for a script nowadays. For the past five or years script size has really gone down to around 90 pages for a 2 hour which is good. A 120 page script can often times make a 3-4 hour long movie and a lot gets cut out. Trust me, I know.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Not sure about this. So many loose ends to be wrapped up. They've got to cover the duel between Anakin and Dooku,then the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan,the whole twins thing,and so on.If they can pull all of this off,then I guess we've been wrong about these guys all along.

Whoa! We don't necessarily KNOW that there will be a duel between Anakin and Dooku. The only action scenes that we're certain about are the 40-minute-long final battle of the Clone Wars at the beginning, the epic duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and the scene in which Mace Windu dies spectacularly.

I presonally wouldn't mind Episode III being a shorter movie. It means if you're watching all the movies in order, there won't be too long to wait until you get to the good part of the story .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Pendo
    I presonally wouldn't mind Episode III being a shorter movie. It means if you're watching all the movies in order, there won't be too long to wait until you get to the good part of the story .

PENDO!
    Once I cut the crap out of the other two (via the newest digital technology), I-III will be even shorter!

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin2121
    Whoa! We don't necessarily KNOW that there will be a duel between Anakin and Dooku. The only action scenes that we're certain about are the 40-minute-long final battle of the Clone Wars at the beginning, the epic duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and the scene in which Mace Windu dies spectacularly.
    If there is no duel between Anakin and Dooku,how else will Anakin become a Sith apprentice? Besides,what better way for Anakin to get his revenge for loosing his arm?

Yeah hamsterboy, my bets are still on Anakin snuffing out Dooku.....probably during the end battle of the clone wars at the beginning of the film.
    ubi mel ibi apes

I don't see the visit to Alderaan as part of a naff OT tie-in thing. It was always planned to have Alderaan shown in the birth of the rebellion. Bail always was the guy to stick his neck pout against Palpy. Hence the reason for Alderaan biting it and the animosity between the Imperials/Vader and Alderaanian senator Leia. There are other things that are silly tie-in stuff but the whole Alderaan inclusion makes absolute sense to me. Rather that than another trip to Naboo. And I agree that there's no reason to see Dagobah either. Being told that Yoda has escaped is enough. I think the delivery of Luke to tatooine is needed for the kid audience though. Being that there's a twenty year gap between the trilogies it just makes it crystal clear to kid viewers that this is where the child went and grew up. Naff to adult viewers but not unneccesary. For me though I would have the movie go there. Not a long winded sequence but just a quick glimpse of Beru holding the child and silhouettes of Owen and Obi. Obi wandering of into the wilderness. Then obviously end on some shots of the growing Imperial forces and menacing technology.....