Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I got a new Pioneer Hi-Def Plasma a couple of days ago, so I just finished watching ANH and ESB. Man, plasma televisions have some amazing color, and these are colorful films.

Having seen both again, I feel ESB could use yet another face lift on the digital scenes. Video games now look better than that Cloud Car flying about. ANH holds up surprising well, although I wish they would get rid of that Ronto walking in front of the landspeeder in the foreground.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

If I could do anything I wanted, I wish I could add a few lines to Obi-Wan's "confession" to Luke on Dagobah. I'd like him to talk about Padme. For two reasons. First, because no one ever talks about Padme. Second. Luke does not, in fact, have "too much of his father in him" He has Padme in him too and that is why he succeeds where Anakin failed. He is born of both of them and that makes him great.

If I could REALLY do anything I wanted, I'd rotoscope Emp Luke and Vader out of the Death Star and have their final Duel take place in the Emperors thrown room on Coruscant. Thats where it should be. In fact I'd scrap the Death star completely and have the space battle take place above Coruscant and have Han and Leia and everyone fighting in the streets. Wouldn't that be nice.

Instead of Luke being brought to Vader. Vader could be waiting for him in the ruins of the jedi temple.

I watched ANH last night and thought of one other scene that could have used improvement: The escape from the Death Star space battle. It always looked like the Falcon was just sitting there waiting for the TIE's to come at them. They should have redone that.

For the most part, I think the changes and additions were good. The Greedo shooting first didn't bother me in terms of how it affects Han's character. Han is clearly reaching for his gun and the shots are almost simultaneous. The fact that Greedo missed at such short range is a problem though.

I'll agree that the line in ESB about Artoo not tasting good should have been left in. The line about Vader's shuttle didn't really bother me because I probably didn't notice the change.

For ROTJ, I don't like the new song in Jabba's Palace. I do like the new end theme, but I also like the Ewok song as well. Perhaps if there was a way to include both. I think the new song works better with Luke and the spirits. Perhaps start with Yub Yub and then fade into the new theme.

I think I argued about this before in another thread (I think JT disagreed), but I think that in DVD release of ROTJ, the Rancor scene looks much improved. It doesn't look like Luke is being filmed against a film backdrop so much anymore.

I would like to have seen more product placement....

Nascar like decals on ships, Yoda throwing back a Sam Adams with his frustration over Luke's training...maybe some sleek Ray Ban's for Han or Lando and definitely a bib on Jabba that said "Joe's Space Crab Shack."

And if Lucas really wanted a different song for the end of ROTJ why not Prince's Party like it's 1999?
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    And if Lucas really wanted a different song for the end of ROTJ why not Prince's Party like it's 1999?
    I think Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" has a much more Star Warsy feel to it.

Actually, I believe the Special Editions would have been fine if they weren't touted as the new "definitive" versions of the movies and were just considered alternate versions of the films. I think Lucas claiming that these versions were superior and thus should replace the movies that had been going strong for decades, really rubbed people the wrong way and made the average person more unforgiving of the changes than they would have normally been.

Anyways, I would have loved to see the B-Wing sequence added back into the Endor Battle in ROTJ. Maybe then we could finally get a new human B-Wing Pilot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bwing_spacebattles.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	15517  
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Yeah, I am way down with a few B-wing action sequences thrown into ROTJ! The footage doesn't currently exist, as I understand it, they mocked up that one still and got started with elements, but didn't put together a full FX shot ready to insert. Now it doesn't matter, just take the elements and models, pop them into the computer and throw the rest together.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Actually, I believe the Special Editions would have been fine if they weren't touted as the new "definitive" versions of the movies and were just considered alternate versions of the films. I think Lucas claiming that these versions were superior and thus should replace the movies that had been going strong for decades, really rubbed people the wrong way and made the average person more unforgiving of the changes than they would have normally been.
    I never really felt that way. I thought that ANH really needed to be fixed. When you compare the effects of ESB and ROTJ, ANH really seemed to pale in comparison, at least in terms of the space battles. The other two movies didn't need it so much, though I like what they did with Bespin. I'd be happy with the original ROTJ if they insert the improved Rancor scene in it.

I agree with BB but understand Power's opinion....

What needed "fixed" was digital clean up on some already great sequences, like space battles, Rancors, Bespin landscape, etc.

What didn't need "fixed" was adding stuff that didn't need added, Greedo shooting first, a poorly exectued Jabba/Han meeting, full-shot Wampa, Hayden Skywalker ghost, etc.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    What didn't need "fixed" was adding stuff that didn't need added, Greedo shooting first, a poorly exectued Jabba/Han meeting, full-shot Wampa, Hayden Skywalker ghost, etc.
    You know, I probably didn't really notice Greedo shooting first when I saw the Special Edition the first time. I can't remember. I know from viewing the original version on the DVD that there's just an explosion and a cloud of smoke, so it is just implied that only Han shot. I don't have a problem with Greedo shooting first, but unless Han kicked him under the table or something was wrong with his gun, I don't see how he would have missed.

The meeting with Jabba was cool, but Jabba didn't look right, and the second attempt Jabba looked even worse. Also, the dialogue pretty much duplicates the Greedo scene. I don't mind having the scene in there though.

The Wampa scene and Hayden as ghost I am indifferent about. It's fine either way.

I know from viewing the original version on the DVD that there's just an explosion and a cloud of smoke, so it is just implied that only Han shot.
    Actually, the scene is properly set up, you see Han unholster his weapon under the table while the conversation starts getting more deadly, there's the blaster sound and then you see Greedo explode in a cloud of smoke, then you see Han holding his weapon under the table just as he holsters it - cinematically, that's a complete tale even if you don't see the blaster bolt fly from the gun.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.