Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Anybody buy an X-Box?

Although I have no initial desire to get an X-box, I was wondering if anyone did buy one and what you think about it.

From the demos at stores that I played, I really had no desire to buy an unproven system, from an unproven comapny (at least in console gaming), with no good launch titles.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I don't have one wouldn't want one either. My advice to you is to run as far away from the xbox s possible. It's made by Microsift and that means it's going to suck.I heard the xbox crashes a lot, sort of like what Windows does.

Funniest thing happened today. I was in Wal-Mart seeing if they had Gamecube controllers, and some kids were playing the X-Box demo. They were talking about how cool it is and what not, then BAM! the screen flickers and goes blank. Store guy walks up, says it happens all the time.

This has happened to 3 X-Box demos in stores around me so far. Its the funniest thing I've ever seen. People talk about the x-box now, but within a few years, it'll be gone.

Remember Jaguar, 3DO, Neo-Geo? Didn't think so.

Hey, let's not badmouth the Neo-Geo just because the X-box sucks. I love my Neo-Geo, that sucker is easily the closest thing to arcade quality at home you can get, especially if you don't like polygon-based gaming; only its ridiculous price is the painful part (that and SNK didn't really let programmers loose with most games to push the limits).

That lockup story on the xbox is hilarious, I tried to play one last night at TRU but the graphics weren't impressing me and the controller looked fugly (and there was a gamecube display w/ Rogue Leader right next to it ).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Man, there is no way I'd ever bash the Neo-Geo. I got one a few years back when a friend of mine moved. But I remember when the system first came out, it was compatible with the actual arcade game unti you'd find in an arcade, or pizza hut or whatever.

They had some killer capcom games on the neo-geo that you couldn't get on any other console if I remember correctly, but the titles escape me for the moment.

And I love 'dem Capcom fighers.

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    Remember Jaguar, 3DO, Neo-Geo? Didn't think so.
    I remember the Jaguar. I wanted one but I was too busy playing my Super Nintendo.

The X-Box looks like an alright system , but it doesn't compare to the playstation 2. The X-Box isn't on my "things to buy" list and probably never will be.
    Get over here Leia , and stop making out with your brother !

Originally posted by Wolfwood319
    People talk about the x-box now, but within a few years, it'll be gone.
    I don't plan on buying one either, but I don't think Microsoft will give up on it either. Microsoft typically puts out garbage for the first couple of iterations, but by the third version, they've usually got something as good or better than their competition, or their competition has mysteriously disappeared.
    Thomas Lane
    tlane@parlant.com

I got one on lauch day and I have been very pleased with it. Other than the controller. The buttons are difficult to find and are too close together.

As far as the games, there isn't a lot other than HALO. Halo is a God among first-person shooters. It has great depth, insane amounts of multiplayer modes and options.

The fact that there are 30 characters moving around with no slow-down is completely amazing.

I also like Dead or Alive 3. The graphics are nothing short of spectacular. I am not the biggest fighting game fan in the world, but it is awesome. Madden 2002 is very good as well. Just slightly better than the PS2 version in my opinion, mostly because of the much faster load times.

I haven't had my X-Box crash yet, and I haven't seen anyone elses either, so I will reserve my judgement on that until I do.

I love how it is so trendy to hate Microsoft. They haven't done anything to me, and I don't blame them for trying to have a Monopoly. That is what business is all about, though you're not quite allowed to achieve that ultimate level anymore. As long as they put out good games for the system, I'll be happy with the X-Box and Microsoft. Same with the PS2 and the Gamecube. All I want is a good game. I don't care who makes it.

As far as the 3DO goes, I enjoyed mine, even though I spent 700 smack-a-roos on it. There were some really good games, SUper WIng Commander, CPU Bach, Twisted, Madden, Monster Manor, The Horde, and Return Fire. I wish Trip Hawkins hadn't been a moron.

The Jaguar, well, that was a mess. I didn't buy one, but I borrowed my friends for about 6 months. I kept trying to give it back once the Playstation came out, but he wouldn't take it. That is not a joke, it's true. There were a few decent games, Syndicate, ALien vs Predator, Tempest 2000, and Doom was really good.

I had a Neo Geo once, but it was the same system that made its way through about 30 peoples hands. It was nice to look at, if you are a fighting fanatic. I hated the joysticks, they were as big as the system, but hollow. They make tons of noise when you are playing Samurai Showdown in your friends bedroom at 3 in the morning while his parents are asleep in the other room.

At least I never bought a CDI. Yuck.

Anyone remember when Matsu****a was supposed to take over the video game world with the M2? Just curious.

BAH!!! Screw X-Box and it's evil creator Bill Gates. Besides Halo and Munches Oddysee, I have no urge to play the X-Box (yes, Obi-wan is coming out, but it doesn't look that good). The X-Box is going to bomb just like the Dreamcast. And when it does, I'll buy it for $49.99 and get a few off it's ONLY good games (uh, Halo) for around $9.99. X-Box barely has an 3rd party support and it's controller is about the size of a footbal (and the system about the size of a football field). PS2 will be whizzing on X-Box's grave within the next two years and Gamecube will be hucking the eggs at the tombstone!

yukface27@hotmil.com
    "Flanders was a zombie?"

-Homer Simpson

Dar' Argol is a good guy to trade with!!!