Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Schooling

Home Schooling

Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children. We have been looking up stuff on line for a few days. I was wondering if anyone here is home schooling there kids or is being home schooled or has been home schooled. Any info on it would be appreciated. Is it expensive to do, how much time do you spend a day on it, stuff like that. Thanks in advance.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Hey,
    I'm home schooled,I take online cases.What grades are your kids going into?Try a search under "school in a box",Thats what I searched and I came across Flvs.net.It's for middle & High schools.

[FONT=book antiqua]-CTM-[/FONT]
    Last edited by CloneTrooperMace; 08-18-2003 at 06:15 PM.
    Signature Disabled

I don't know much about homeschooling except this.

Based on all of the home schooled kids I met working at Borders, just make sure they get lots of social activity if you do. Little League, Soccor, community events, ballet, summer camp, or whatever. Because 90% of these kids do not know how to interact socially.

I think a lot of important lessons are learned in public/private school, that can't be taught at home.

Just my opinion.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lando In My Pants
    Based on all of the home schooled kids I met working at Borders, just make sure they get lots of social activity if you do. Little League, Soccor, community events, ballet, summer camp, or whatever. Because 90% of these kids do not know how to interact socially.

I'm doing just fine with it,I go to the store or something every week and I'm fine.If they want to meet someone take them to Wal-Mart,Take them to the sea food section and you got Sea World as a trip.

-CTM-
    Signature Disabled

I teach 4th grade in a public school. Don't worry--I'm not an "ANTI-HOME SCHOOL" teacher!

I think it would depend on the grade(s) your children are in and which state you live in. I believe that each state has its own requirements that you and your wife would need to meet. This may include standardized testing (which would probably be done at your local public school) or some other proof to show that your kids are learning.

As far as the grade level, it is probably "easier" for you to learn and teach elementary school curriculum instead of high school physics, for example. It will still take time for you to thoroughly understand and then choose the best method of presenting the material to your children.

Also, make sure you've examined your reasons for wanting to home school. If it is beacuse your local school is awful, sometimes you can request that your children attend a different school in the same district. Are you looking for a religious education and cannot afford a private school? You can always supplement the education that your kids would receive at the local school. These are just some other options to consider-- but home schooling may still be your best option. It's up to you to decide what is best for your kids.

I would also agree with Lando, and make sure your kids are in some other activities in the community to get to know other kids.

Good luck with whatever you decide!!!

Oh, by the way, here's teaching lesson #1:
    You said:
    "Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children."
    It should be "My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our children."

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Teacher
    Oh, by the way, here's teaching lesson #1:
    You said:
    "Me and my wife are thinking about home schooling our children."
    It should be "My wife and I are thinking about home schooling our children."
    And aint aint a word either
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

First off, I think socializing them will be very important, KH, but that's been said to death here.

Try and find other people with kids your age - maybe even some who are homeschooling or considering it, and liaise with them to find out what they've discovered (resources, experiences, etc).

Im 100% convinced our kids are going to public elementary school when it gets to that point (2 years until #1 is ready), because that's what my wife and I did. We both enjoyed school and have good rememberances of it.

There's also the free time you'd be passing up - selfish, but a consideration nonetheless. Good luck, that's a big thing to be considering for sure.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Home schooling seems to be a growing choice for a number of America's families and that is fine so long as parents give a 110% commitment to their children and their studies.

Obviously the benefits include one-on-one instruction. As a teacher, you have to try to cater to 21-25 different students and perhaps as many learning styles during a 6 hour day. It is very hard to give each student the attention they deserve and need. Another advantage would be a faster pace of covering the cirriculum. With one or two children being home schooled, you need not dilly long on reinforcing certain standards that the state demands teacher's do, once a child has mastered it. Home schooled students often are given an accelerated cirrculum, and cover much more material in a year than your average public schooler. It is no surprise that if you watch the annual Scripps-Howard Spelling Bee in Washington D.C. that it seems a majority of the contenders are home-schooled.

But as I said before, a parent must be committed to home schooling and not fall into the trap of taking days off or being lackadaisical when it comes to the pace or discpline. The parent must try their best to follow a rigourous schedule. And yes, home schooled children do seem to be a tad bit socially awkward then their public/private schooled peers. A parent must try their best not to isolate their children when they are in a home school environment.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.

Well, kidhuman, like the others have said, there's many factors to consider, but what's most important is probably making sure the kids spend as much times as possible with peers.
    After all, what use is all the education given to a home-schooled kid if he grows up incapable of interacting with people his own age?

I've known home-schooled kids in my earlier days. Some of them had dads that worked a lot, so the only real role model/influence in their lives were their mothers....and they'd spent little if any time in public schools, around kids their age....so they weren't socialized. Really, to be honest, virtually everything that can be wrong with a human being, aside from being, say, morally corrupt, was wrong with these kids!! One of them is 19 years old and still can't talk to girls....or even other boys, for that matter. I really fear for them...

I've been homeschooled for 6th,7th,10th,11th and now my Senior year.Personally,I think homeschooling depends on the kid(s) and their parents.Both need to have high motivation and the ability to follow through with their tasks.As for the pros,I personally have found my reading skills and verbal skills have shot through the roof,and I like the one-on-one attention given to me.Another aspect would have to be the ability,of once the children are older,to move into "specialized" academic programs suited to their interests (I.E. Medical Professions,Weatherperson,etc) but still continue with "traditional" subjects.

As for the social aspect of homeschooling,children in my opinion still in elementary school need to interact with others their age to learn social skills.However,for middle and high school I think that many important social skills have been learned and the parent can help the kids out otherwise.If you are really worried about not enough social interaction,have them join a sports team or a local Homeschool Group in your area.They normally have planned meetings and field trips where kids and parents can gather around to share ideas,plan field trips,etc.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!