Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to suggest to a new collector?

Just today, I was asked by someone what I would recommend for a new collector. Where do you start? Vintage stuff can be expensive, but there are only about 96-ish figures compared to the new lines which are relatively inexpensive but there are a gazillion of them.

Of course it comes down to priorities, whether to be a completist or just concentrate on the characters you like, but with so much product out there now, where do you start?

The Hasbro rep at SDCC told me that they release resculpted core characters primarily for this demographic: the new collector. It gives them the chance to get some of the core characters without paying exhorbitant 3rd party prices.

What would you tell a new collector?

I'd tell him/her that I get first pick of the product, and they can have the picked over leftovers as I have been collecting way to long to get the few items coming to the retsil stores to let them have anything but the Lott Dodds.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!

Seriously though, look through the older POTF2 stuff and gauge how you feel about certain pieces, then track them down. A lot of POTF2's aftermarket is pretty low right now, most of it was eventually released in mass quantities except for Zuckuss and Han/Tauntaun. Try not to get sucked into being a "completist", it's ultimately unrewarding when Hasbro starts putting out product you actively dislike and your collection still DEMANDS that you buy it. Buying someone's whole collection may net you a few choice pieces, and since you have almost nothing, you won't be duplicating purchases - just be extremely careful as to what you're actually getting. POTJ is great, expect to pay a little more for that even though it shipped pretty well for its run.

If you are going to concentrate on only Saga, why? Ok, if you're going to concentrate on Saga, don't even bother with the stores for anything released from December 2002 till July 2003, it's a waste of gas and nobody has anything anymore that isn't old junk or unpopular new stuff. Go with e-tailers. Try not to pay too much, it's not worth double, and watch for handling/shipping charges, some places try to get you there. If you do decide to try your local stores, do it when it's convenient for you, don't let the hobby control your life.

Above all else, don't buy from anybody who gets Saga figures from your local stores - don't reward these scalpers for artificially manipulating the already-depleted local market, these guys are taking the figures out of your hands, when you pay them it's paying them to do it again and again. And even though 2003 Saga has been somewhat hard to find, the line is not doing that well on the aftermarket, don't get suckered by a high ebay auction, check the overall closing prices on finished auctions first.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I would recomend to the collector to pick up some of the common saga pieces that appeal to them, and to focus on the POTJ line. With the trend hasbro has been keeping on resculpts I would not recomend that they go back to the POTF line unless they saw them dirt cheep. This way while they are collecting the more recent, cheaper stuff it will give them a chance to grab some resculpts before they decide to go back and spend the bucks on the older stuff.

If they want to get 12" stuff I will only ask them if they are rich, because if they want to get all of them it will cost over over two thousand bucks through the second hand market to get them all.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

I would suggest to them to study the market. Don't pay high prices. Wait patiently and buy whatever catches your eye. And don't be suckered into buying crappy Hasblow toys you don't like.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

I would have to say know what you want. If looking to pick up many pieces for a somewhat decent price, try buying lots off ebay. For new figures, i would say avoid ebay and be patient. And most importantly have fun.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

Pick out your favorite characters, and go from there. DO they want to set up scenes? or collect MOC? Those are some questions I would ask first. If they want to set upscenes then start with what they want to do first. If they collect MOC, get the ones they think lok the best first.
    Last edited by Kidhuman; 08-24-2003 at 03:33 PM.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Well, if they are going to OPEN them, or just appreciate a definitive sculpt of each particular character, then I'd suggest this:

LUKE

Tatooine -get the new Saga re-release, or blast shield if you want
    Stormtrooper - find the POTF2 one, better yet, get the DS Escape 3pak
    Stormtrooper belt (Tatooine), get a discounted MF Gunner Station online
    X-wing pilot - get POTJ
    Ceremony - find the POTF2 one
    Hoth - wait for the new one that goes with the Wampa
    Bacta - go online
    Snowspeeder pilot (if you collect vehicles, find the one with Dack online)
    Bespin - get the POTF2 one
    Dagobah - get the POTF2 one (sure he's a little buff, but I like the figure)
    Bespin Defeat - get the Saga one at KB discount
    Jedi - wait for the new one to come out
    Endor - if you want the speederbike, get that online. If not, MMCoin
    Death Star II - get the Final Jedi Duel 3-pack online

YOU'RE DONE WITH LUKE

HAN SOLO

ANH Vest - get the current Saga re-release of Cantina Han
    Stormtrooper - online prices for the mail-away aren't too bad. 3-pak solves it
    Stormtrooper belt -POTJ
    Flight Gear - Gunner Station has hs headset, but not essential
    Hoth - new Saga rules!
    Bespin - POTJ Bespin capture
    Carbonite - wait for a definitive "deluxe" version not yet made
    Unfrozen - get the Jabba's Palace for a unique Han
    Endor - POTF2
    Endor Raid - Saga on discount at KB

YOU'RE DONE WITH HAN

PRINCESS LEIA

ANH - get the current Saga re-release, or the Leia Collection one.
    Ceremony - get the Leia Collection softgoods one (hide Luke)
    Hoth - get the Rebel Forces 5 pack coming soon, with R3, TaunTaun
    Bespin - get the Leia Collection softgoods one (hide Han)
    Bespin Escape - get the POTJ one
    Boussh - wait for a possible new version, but the POTF2 one was great
    Slave - get the sailbarge deluxe one on clearance (TRU.com)
    General/Endor - wait for a better version, unless you want the speederbike
    Ewok Princess - get either the Leia Collection or POTF2 one. Either is nice.

YOU'RE DONE WITH LEIA

CLASSIC OBI-WAN

Get the POTJ lightsaber training one.
    Get the POTF2 one
    Get the 25th Anniversary v. Darth Vader one!

APPRENTICE OBI-WAN

Get Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul 2-pack!
    Get Naboo Obi-Wan

MASTER OBI-WAN

Get Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan w. droid
    Get Deluxe Kamino Fight Obi-Wan w. landing platform pieces

YOU'RE DONE WITH OBI-WAN

Notice I've skipped bad figures?

Anyway, you get the idea: get the definitive characters and their best sculpts. Then get any extra characters you like, working from the most recent, backwards.

Pick niches you like: Cantina Aliens is a favorite. So is Jabba's. Get all the characters that belong to that collection.

Or build Imperial, Rebel, Separatist armies, collecting all the different figures.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Every collector is different. These are questions I'd ask the person. If they can answer them, then they've answered their own question.

What's the reason you want to collect SW toys?
    Is this a hobby or primarily an investment opportunity?
    What would you like to collect? Everything SW or just your favourite figs?
    What do you plan on doing with them? Display, play or both?

I collect basic figs and only ones I like. I avoid droids and most non human figs. I don't care about variations. I buy one packaged and one loose. I can play and display the loose one. I also display the packaged one which will go to my 3 month old son when he's older. My wife has a POTF2 colelction which will go to our 4 year old daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    PRINCESS LEIA

ANH - get the current Saga re-release, or the Leia Collection one.
    Ceremony - get the Leia Collection softgoods one (hide Luke)
    Hoth - get the Rebel Forces 5 pack coming soon, with R3, TaunTaun
    Bespin - get the Leia Collection softgoods one (hide Han)
    Bespin Escape - get the POTJ one
    Boussh - wait for a possible new version, but the POTF2 one was great
    Slave - get the sailbarge deluxe one on clearance (TRU.com)
    General/Endor - wait for a better version, unless you want the speederbike
    Ewok Princess - get either the Leia Collection or POTF2 one. Either is nice.

YOU'RE DONE WITH LEIA
    They also made General/Endor Leia as a MMC, so if you don't want the speeder bike, that would be a good one to get. Both her and Luke were better versions with the coin (although the helmet wasn't removable, so then add the version released 2 years ago).