Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRG
    Sorry D-

But Dylan sounds MUCH better on record than he does live (if you can believe that). If you are not intimately familiar with the lyrics to his songs, you stand ZERO chance of understanding his lyrics live.
    i don't know......i've seen him in concert and have a few of his "live" CD's and i have no complaints. of course almost anyone is going to sound a little better in the studio versus a live peformance, but not many pro singers could of sounded as bad as jennifer lopez does live. she was so bad i kinda felt sorry for her.

Hey LBC, you hate actors with albums?? A few years ago my friend, who works in studios, recorded a second "Bruno" album with bruce willis...

It got shelved indefinitely, but it exists, THAT's the scary part....
    'nother mention whom no-one's mentioned, Mick Jagger... he also would die in the proverbial wet paper bag, live or studio
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Britney Spears,Christina A.,Boy Bands,Hillary Duff,Pink,Rappers all sound bad to myself live.I guess the pop/R&B cant cross over live.Just about any actor/actress-turned-singer is bad as well,stick with something you know how to do
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

roland gift of fine young canibals, had an amazing studio voice. every track they did, he sounded magnificent, truely amazing.

however, having had the chance to see em' live on several occasions in the mid to late 80's, each of the shows i saw, his voice sounded like crap. off key, very weak, just pure rubbish. not anywhere near how he sounded on disc.

i know he became more interested in becoming an actor, but i always wondered if the reason why the band has been dormant for over a decade now, is due to the fact that gift just doesn't have a voice left to sing with.
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

Derek-

You must have attended/listened to some of his "good days". I'm a HUGE Dyaln fan, know most of his catalogue, but have been to shows where I've been severely disappointed, unable to understand a mumbled word. Of course, I've also seen shows where he's sounded absolutely brilliant (in relative Dylan terms, of course).
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Ironically I saw some article on TV yesterday about a "magic" device that can make anyone's voice sound perfect in the studio.. DUH!!!
    There've been "magic" devices like that for a long time, there was even analog stuff that could do a pretty good job of it...
    I think that's the problem with the industry... the Label makes most of it's money off of album sales, the artist moreso off of concerts... as long as an album can be released that sounds good enough to move mass units, it's done its job... when folks come out and realize that the artist stinks on ice, they figure it was mebbe an off night or whatever... no-one wants to believe that a fave artist is really just a fraud... our lady peace is TOTALLY like that... Sad truth, mainstream music is made for folks who don't even understand music...
    This might explain the discrepancy between golden-throated studio stuff and utter caterwauling live that so many here have noted
    Being a good musician (or singer or whatever) has nothing to do with mainstream popularity, so don't be surprised if bands don't sound "just like their tape", cos most "music" is more fantasy that performance

Metal RULES!!!! \m/
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by EricRG

Dylan sounds MUCH better on record than he does live (if you can believe that). If you are not intimately familiar with the lyrics to his songs, you stand ZERO chance of understanding his lyrics live.
    my favorite dylan comparison song, just to see how bad his voice had become, is to listen to "it's alright ma, i'm only bleeding" from the concert for bangladesh album, then listen to him sing the same song on the bob dylan 30th anniversary album............yoiks! jar jar could do better

"id awrigh mah immmmmmm uhly beedin'"

huh?
    0 /// /// F=MA~~~~~~~~~~~~
    what's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding

GET Jennifer Lopez THE H*** OFF THE RADIO!! She has Absolutely no vocal range. The notes/tones she sings don't vary much on the musical scale. She is horrible!

I agree with Jeddah who said she should stop saying she is simple, and from the Ghetto. When I first heard her "my love don't cost a thing" song I thought she said "My Love Don't Come for Free." After hearing about her personal life, it appears that that her love DOES cost something. .

"I'm just Jenny from the block."-Bull S***

AA
    B.M.D. 2/29-4/22 Remembered, Loved, and Missed -ALWAYS

Me fail english??? That's un-possible

Hello......My name is Boba Fett......You killed my father.......Prepare to Die!! -Boba Fett to Mace Windu in Star Wars
    Episode 3 - Return of the Princess Bride

Still Hatin' the Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    Ironically I saw some article on TV yesterday about a "magic" device that can make anyone's voice sound perfect in the studio..
    Mab, remind me to retype the essay I just lost on the heavy reliance on the Antares Autotune in todays music (all genres). If I get time at work tomorrow I will repost.

jeddah
    eVerlasTing

I just wish that all these flash in the pan artists would stop calling themselves MUSIC ARTISTS when all they do is sing someone elses songs. For crying out loud, is it too much to ask that you play at least one instrument?

Over the decades very few music acts have standed the test of time when no one in the group plays an instrument. Sure acts like The Supremes are considered classics but they are a very small percentage of the artists out there. For their time The Beatles were a "boy band" but they wrote and played some killer tunes. Now these modern versions are thinking of themselves as the same caliber but they bring nothing to the industry other than a pretty face and that will fade over time.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.