Hybrid View

"Singers" who can't "sing"

yesterday on comedy central i was watching a re-run of saturday night live and it's musical guest was jennifer lopez. i'm not a fan of her music, but also don't despise her and ben affleck as it's currently popular to do so.

anyway, on saturday night live, the musical guest actually has to sing...no lip-sincing is allowed...and i was amazed at how bad jennifer lopez sings. i'm not talking about her style of music, but her complete lack of singing ability. it was probably the worst live perfromance i've ever seen a "professional" singer give. she has no range what so ever, and her voice is very flat. her studio recordings are obviously digitally altered. how she ever got a recording contract boggles my mind. of course she's pretty, dances well and looks every bit the part of the traditional pop singer....but that voice is terrible. she sounded like some regular talentless person you would see at a kariokee bar.

so, without bashing a singer just because you don't like their "style of music", have any of you witnessed anything like this, in person or live on TV?
    (...and caesar, you can't say "billy corgan" as it's well known he can't sing live or on tape!"

ok.. if Caesar cant say it.. I will .. Billy Corgan! Same place.. same deal..
    The live performace the smashing pumpkins.. just down right terrible. I figured Saturday night live.. they shoulda tried harder..

other than that.. none that I can think of...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Salsa Shark.. I think were gonna need a bigger boat..[/FONT]

Tonysmo, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Dereks above question on talentless singers.

That, and 50 cent. I heard him singing live on SNL and some beach thing on MTV, and I was not impressed.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Snoop Dogg, but I am not convinced he's even trying.

J-Lo has always wobbled my mind with her music career. Her and Britney Spears pop right to the top of this list for me. Anthony Kiedis can't find his notes very well either, he can sing, but even his live stuff on TV is just all over the map while he searches for the right note.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Woah woah, see, Billy Corgan KNOWS he can't sing well, which makes it all the more dandy. Plus, which performance we talking here?!?!!? I thought hte last few appearances i saw of Corgan & Co on TV were good. I think the version of "Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings" was kinda iffy, but tis been a while. Though, everytime i see Corgan live (with whatever band), he always sounded good.

Anyway, I have to go w/ about 90% of rappers can't sing worth a damn. It's not that they can't sing well or whatnot, but it's hard to tell who's saying what when there are 15 people onstage w/ microphones. Like Steve Harvey said in "Original Kings of comedy", "40 damned people onstage, all have mics!! The temptations, 5 people, one mic! no matter what they did, they always came back to the one mic!"

Gwen Stefani comes to mind as well. Man, she sounds so horrible, it makes me want to cut my ears off.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Britney Spears, 5 dimes A.K.A. 50 cent, Pink, Puff Daddy, JLO, and many more.

Let's see..............Corey Taylor. Only when he is not under the influence.
    He messed up at a concert when doing WAIT AND BLEED. He destroyed the magic!!!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

i know billy corgan dosen't have a good voice, but the thing is, he pretty much sounds the same regardless if it's live or on tape, so that's the reason i mentioned him from the start.

....another singer who comes to mind is faith hill. she sounds really good on the radio or cd, but i've seen her live on "VH1 divas" and on a few awards shows, and her voice is a little better than jennifer lopez's, but not much better. she too has obviously had her voice enhanced in the studio.

....another is third eye blind's stephen jenkins. i really like his music, but everytime i see him live on letterman or leno, he sounds horrible, but i've seen them in concert a few times and he sounded good, so i'm not totaly convinced he's "cheating" in the studio like jennifer lopez or faith hill..

Quote Originally Posted by Tonysmo View Post
    ok.. if Caesar cant say it.. I will .. Billy Corgan!
    Thanks, I hate that whiny c**t's voice.