View Poll Results: What percentage of SW figures do you think are bought by kids?

Voters
459. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 30%

269 58.61%
  • 30-40%

129 28.10%
  • 41-50%

36 7.84%
  • 51-60%

10 2.18%
  • Over 60%

15 3.27%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I voted 30-40% ... but we'd all better cross our fingers and hope that it's better. "Adult" toy collectors are a fringe element. I can't imagine a company surviving off of our dollars alone ... not when it comes to a license like this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    Last I heard from a source, it was right around 30%. You couldn't prove that by my area though, it seems to be 0% kids and 1% collectors, nobody ever seems interested in the line anymore.
    I'd been reading through all of these posts thinking that ... and then I read it and laughed. For the most part, I don't see anyone buying Star Wars toys at all when I'm out. I don't see anything for them to buy, so I suppose the debate is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    However, I don't think this is a solid defense for Hasbro's shoddy practices. From what I hear, kids seem to want what we want: lots of army builders, cool aliens and robots (even if they have no idea who they are), neutral sculpts, and more characters and outfits rather than the same ones over and over.
    I'll single this point out as being "it" as far as I see. I have a 5 (2 months from now 6) year old boy. He has a nice sized pile of Star Wars toys (a little of everything from over the past 7 years) that get their share of abuse and play. He's watched the movies ... but they don't have very much to do with his play patterns. He does what he wants with the toys and plays with the various characters how he likes ... despite the limited play value that Hasbro has molded into many of their more recent efforts. Kids do want toys that they can really play with ... they don't want little spring loaded mini-McFarlane statues that melt in warm weather or need a special stand (not included) to make them stand up. If a kid has to fumble and struggle with a toy to make it do something for too long, he/she will basically end up loosing interest (HEY! me to.) That probably sums up Star Wars for most kids.

I've spent the past year around all of my son's friends ... been to the birthday parties, spent a few hours a week in the classroom. I've listened to them talking and watched them play. I've seen what they have in their grossly over filled toy boxes and for sure, there's plenty of "action figures." Sure, there's some Star Wars in there ... but it's just part of the pile for most kids. What Steve said about it being a "movie year" is totally important. I remember reading a few years ago that the Japanese toy company Takara was near to bankruptcy because in Japan to have a successful toy line of any kind you MUST have a cartoon or television show to support it. Apparently in Japan you've got to pay huge sums of money to have your show broadcast ... Takara couldn't afford it anymore and was just about ready to fold. Same applies to Star Wars here and everywhere ... if there's no "show" to support it, then it dries up. The "show" is what gets the kids hooked on the toys, the quality of the toy is what keeps the kids interested. Likewise, the amount of effort that the toy company puts into promoting and generating enthusiasm for the brand is crucial. I remember a few years ago, Bandai drove a huge truck painted with Gundam logos, full of toys, models and costumes around to promote Gundam. You could play the video games while waiting in line to look inside ... brilliant. My son was 3(?) when we saw that and he still talks about it today. What about Star Wars? Well ... I suppose the new cartoons will generate interest. When they start to promote the next movie there will be more interest. I suppose it all depends on how Hasbro handles it and just how dedicated they are to the idea of making toys for kids, that kids want to play with.

I've had my doubts about their sincerity. Most of the toys that we've gotten since episode 2 has come out, have been very play-unfriendly. Flimsy plastic (best for getting that wanabee McFarlane detail quality, but awful in just about every other kind of way), gimmicks that limit and in most cases hamper the play value of a toy, accessories that break too easily, too many versions of key characters too soon, key "army" characters being nearly impossible to play with because they can't hold their weapons, stand up or even keep their heads on for more than an instant. My frustration as a toy collector and as a parent who still ... given all of the current short comings, encourages his child to play with and enjoy these toys ... has mostly to do with the fact that I know and have seen that Hasbro is capable of better. The toys from Episode 1 and the POTJ line were brilliant (some of the Saga stuff too) ... I'm hoping very sincerely that the toys to come will get back to and perhaps exceed those standards. If so, I'll be the first to praise Hasbro's efforts ... if not, then I will not be one of the people standing around at ToysRus saying ... "What happened to Star Wars?"
    plasticfetish.net

Here's another observation. Look at how the toy line changes back too more original trilogy characters in non movie years. We, the older collectors associate with that while many young people, especially kids do not. They know it is part of the story but don't feel the same way we do about it. Anyway, the point is this, kids do not have the attention span for action figures like we do. (Now I'm generalizing here and I know there are exceptions.) To further this point though, remember for those of you that are old enough how SW was the number one movie for months and months after its release. It's because it wasn't on as many screens as movies are nowadays and people sometimes had to wait 6 months before seeing it for the first time. We that were kids at that time got the toys and PLAYED with them. We didn't have this digital library that is the Web for information. AND we didn't have video games, well at least not until near ROTJ. We had to make due with toys, and we did. I know I played for hours on end and my mom never had to look in on me to see if I was being bad. (Although sometimes she would check in on me just to make sure I was okay as I didn't make a whole lot of noise when playing SW other than the occasional laser blast of ship blowing up.) SW was around for so long, that we got used to the idea of it always being present and we looked forward to getting more figures to complete the collection to have even MORE fun playing with MORE characters from the scenes in the movies.

Nowadays, a movie is a hit one week and gone the next. There's NO time for it to remain popular long enough for toys to sell well and for a long time. You wonder why some movie toy lines come out weeks or months in advance, it's so the companies can make any money they can off of the prospect of a hit movie. Look at Hulk for instance. It was hoped to be huge, so toys were made. It didn't do well in theaters but had the manufacturer and retailers waited for the movie to be released they wouldn't have made ANY money off of that venture.

Star Wars remains the exception because of COLLECTORS! There was no other movie during that time that had such an impact on young boys and even some girls as well, as Star Wars. When the modern line first started hitting shelves, fans from that era lit up. And fans who had only known of the movies from VHS found something to have from the movies. So that includes people from 20-40+. Kids today do really connect the way we do with SW. They really only know the prequels and those not that well either. TPM was only on the charts for a few weeks (mostly because of it being the first NEW SW movie) AotC even less. So you can see where kids do not have the association like we do with the story. Again there are some excetions, but they are just that, exceptions.

There may be that parent who buys SW for their kid, but I'd venture to guess that many of those either collect themselves or get for their kids to live vicariously through them, because they (the parents) are indeed fans themselves.

Okay, there's so much more to say on this subject but I should leave it for others to ellaborate on. What do you fella's (and ladies) think of what I've said here?
    Move along, move along

Quote Originally Posted by jedi master sal
    What do you fella's (and ladies) think of what I've said here?
    Not that I haven't said enough, but I agree with you.
    The vintage stuff was special ... because it was unique. I do believe that it lived beyond being merely a fad because the toys were great to play with. Hasbro has been guilty of unwisely trying to force a "unique" quality on the more modern toys. Kids don't see the difference between this and any other toy fad, so they turn away. They look for the next quick thrill ... I did the same thing as a kid, but always had the good Star Wars stuff to turn back to when I was bored with the rest.
    plasticfetish.net

I think adults are going to like the Clone Wars cartoon series.

I know kids will see it, but I'm not sure if they'll schedule their lives around the Cartoon Network schedule like uh...well...uh....someone who looks like me, might.

With all the comments about popular cartoons, as well as CCG's, you'd think Star Wars would do well to tap into that more than with only 3 minute cartoons! I can't speak for RPG players or CCG'ers, I'm not sure what SW is doing in those areas, however, last I saw, they did not have SW Manga-style cards, which is probably where it should be, competative with Yugi-oh. With all the new Jedi and Dark Jedi, any company can do anything with Star Wars now (if set during the Clone Wars). Heck, if people knew what NJO was, they could have a bunch of Luke's Jedi vs. the Vong and bounty hunters working for the Peace Brigade.

Hopefully, CW (and it's awesome!) will spur a full 30 minute SW series from any era, and it will take off with action figures. I'm not sure movie-purists will be happy with what SW becomes, but the EU is SW's survival!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSteve
    What it comes down to is being a movie year or a non movie year...
    I dunno, it might have swelled a bit last year, but I don't think it was the major change they were expecting. I think the whole concept of the Action Feature was an attempt to try to get those kids to check it out, but I haven't heard fantastic numbers there and I haven't seen results. By July 2002, the line seemed to hold little interest with the kiddies around here.

When I was a kid, a large part of playing with Star Wars and GI Joe figures was that they interacted with something larger - vehicles and playsets. Unfortunately, both have fallen out of popularity of late because they're more expensive to buy and take up more shelf space and require large packaging, but I think they're a big part of what's missing today in toys.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I don't know if I do or do not agree with JediTricks about the vehicles.

I love:

Jango's Slave-One
    Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter
    The Republic Gunship!!!
    The Federation Tank is back in stores. (a really cool vehicle!)
    The green Jedi Starfighter (SaeSee Tiin's?) is in stores now, too).

and we're getting:

Anakin's Jedi Starfighter
    the Geonosian Starfighter with an exclusive pilot!
    the Hailfire Droid with 32 missles!

The speeders had nice crash features for low end of the price range.

Dooku's and Anakin's speederbikes should be out there (yeah).

The N-1 fighter, a great ship, might be re-released.

The TIE fighter's in KB's here in San Diego.
    The A-wing's at least on Target.com.

All of these could fit on one bookcase if you squeezed them in, not that kids would get the $230 plus to assemble a fleet that big.

(both dollars and space for the 30 inch wing spanning Gunship wasn't applied in that example)

But heck, for $60 bucks in vehicles or less, I could have a heck of a fight with Jango and Obi-Wan's ships, or something similar like an N-1 vs a Federation tank.

What is the typical kid's toy budget though? Or parents' toy budget for their kid?

Baseball gloves cost nearly $100, as does assembling other league equipment for your average young sportsman. You sign up for the team and get lucky at try-outs, and you end up with a $500 bill before you wash the grass out of your hair.

A Gameboy costs less than a baseball season, so I see where they are going with that.

Star Wars *could* be enjoyed for a little less, but it leads to spending a lot more as all of us down $700 on April 23, 2002 know.

The average time spent playing "foil the challenge" presented by Hasbro's twist-ties on your Screen Scene figures is a lot less than it takes to beat a computer game. So the latter entertains for longer. But remember the Tatooine skiff? Kids could have fun for hours trying to untie those knots!

Anyway, it's not lack of vehicles. It might be lack of funds and an alternative to "day care."

A Gameboy costs less than Little League and holds the attention span longer than the SW toy. So who knows what's going on in sociology these days?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The kids I have, and the kids I know because of them, like Star Wars, but aside from just one of them, the rest are really really into Yu Gi Oh at the moment. Before that it was Digimon and before that it was Pokemon. Anything having to do with a Gameboy is and has been hot for a few years and of course the newest console systems fill in the other gaps. I just don't see any kids of late playing with "toys" the way we used to.

I mean, when I was a kid, my brothers and I played with Legos (actually played with them...not build a prepackaged model and let it sit), Hotwheels, and Star Wars action figures and ships. Kids today have so many other options, including Cartoon Network (I mean, when I was a kid, we had Saturday mornings for cartoons and maybe Tom and Jerry after school and that was it) to fill their time.

Oh, and of course, the last time I saw anyone else in the Star Wars aisle at retail store was weeks ago. I know they've been there as the newest stuff is picked through, but from previous experience, it is most likely morning collectors trying to snag everything before the rest of us have a chance to have a fair shot at it. But kids? Rarely seen browsing the Star Wars stuff.

Around half during a movie year, and then declining steadily from the release of the movie to about a quarter until the hype starts up again. Pure guess though.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    The kids I have, and the kids I know because of them, like Star Wars, but aside from just one of them, the rest are really really into Yu Gi Oh at the moment. Before that it was Digimon and before that it was Pokemon. Anything having to do with a Gameboy is and has been hot for a few years and of course the newest console systems fill in the other gaps. I just don't see any kids of late playing with "toys" the way we used to.

I mean, when I was a kid, my brothers and I played with Legos (actually played with them...not build a prepackaged model and let it sit), Hotwheels, and Star Wars action figures and ships. Kids today have so many other options, including Cartoon Network (I mean, when I was a kid, we had Saturday mornings for cartoons and maybe Tom and Jerry after school and that was it) to fill their time.

Oh, and of course, the last time I saw anyone else in the Star Wars aisle at retail store was weeks ago. I know they've been there as the newest stuff is picked through, but from previous experience, it is most likely morning collectors trying to snag everything before the rest of us have a chance to have a fair shot at it. But kids? Rarely seen browsing the Star Wars stuff.
    What? Me and stillakid agree? Heaven help us..........LOL

I do agree that with all the things out there, kids can not concentrate on what is in. Everything is in. They have there heads spun in so many directions that I am suprised they are still attatched. When we were kids, I really only remember 2 lines of toys that stuck around, Star Wars and G.I.Joe. You either collected one or the other. Very rarely did I see both at someones house until around 1986 when SW pretty much died out.

Kids now adays have Transformers, Max Steel, G.I. Joe, Sw, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, TMNT, and whatever superhero movie comes out Friday to pick from. Plus all the things on Cartoon Network. My step-son has Star Wars figures, but i gave him most of them. He has bought a few himself with B-day and X-mas money. If I didnt have them I don't know if he would even look at them.

Plus with the lack of Sw available in most areas, I havent seen a soul besides myself digging through a SW peg to see if I can find one I havent got yet.

Maybe with the Clone Wars cartoon it might pick up. If they are stillonmly three minutes(I dont know if they made itlonger or not) it wont. To kids it will be the time to go to the bathroom befor Ed, Edd, and Eddie or Courage come on.

And Tycho, Kids can not aford to have allthe coolships and what not. They are too expensive for kids nowadays. I remember when I was young and such that I treasured my Millenium Falcon and Tie Fighters. Kids nowadays get these big toys ans destroy themwith in days of having them. I refuse to buy my stepson anything big and expensive for that reason. We bought himthe Spider Man playset for Christmas last year. It took me more time to put it together for himthan it did for himto destroy it. It has been sitting in his toy box since Dec. 26. If they didnt have all these little parts(missles, etc) than maybe it wouldnt be so bad. But they lose the missles and everything else 20 minutes intoplaying with them and then they do not want it because it doesnt work anymore. Plus they are so cheaply made, they cant handle the abuse kids put it through.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

You think kids play with these things differently than how we did?

I think it'd be hard to prove.

I'd shoot rubber bands at my figures to make a fire-fight happen.

I never lost my Y-wing's missle, but it hit my Death Star on many bombing runs!

Never lost R2's little launching lightsaber, let alone any of my Luke's.

I took them outside to play with. When my mom's flower garden was muddy from the sprinklers, it was totally Dagobah. I was somewhat successful in preserving R2's stickers My x-wing faired pretty well, too. It can still make the laser sound.

It took a nerf football to knock the AT-AT over! But I got my spiral practiced pretty good.

Nothing damaged, nothing missing or broken.

My parents were always taking their chances on getting me anything, but by ROTJ, I was spending my own money from my odd jobs to buy stuff for myself.

Teach kids to earn stuff, they'll respect it. Even if they do throw a football at it

There's never a garauntee, but I asked my parents if they'd replace my AT-AT if I lit it on fire. They said no, and told me not to play with matches, so I never really did neither. Well, technically...