Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I love The Phantom Menance

I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but I thought I should share with you that The Phantom Menace is my favourite Star Wars film.

Is there anyone, anyone at all (come on, don't be shy), who would agree with me?

I don't know why, maybe it's just that I'm still reliving the day I first saw it and the excitment of a new film after 16 years, maybe it's the fact we see so much more of the SW galaxy. Either way it is an amazing film and I reckon George should be proud of it.

I never tire of watching it, whereas AOTC (a good film of course) isn't as watchable for me, but I can watch TPM over and over again...almost constantly.

I love TPM so I'm in agreement with you there.
    However my love for the two prequels is the opposite of yours - for me, AOTC is 10 times more watchable than AOTC, I just love Episode II that much more.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself - since November 2002, I have not even once sat down to watch Episode I and II back to back.
    I watched TPM last summer the day before another theatrical showing of AOTC but that's the closest I came to a doubleheader . . . I must correct that problem SOON.

I think TPM is awesome but it's still my least favorite of the Saga . . . barely. I know ANH gets a lot of credit and as great as it is I start losing interest after the escape from the Death Star. Still, the Obi-Wan scenes are my favorites, the Tatooine stuff is to die for, and most of the Death Star stuff is cool -- so I definitely rank ANH before TPM.

For me to rank TPM as 5th out of 5 is not meant as a diss toward the movie, it's just that I like the others more.

Quote Originally Posted by RussUAE
    I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but I thought I should share with you that The Phantom Menace is my favourite Star Wars film.

Is there anyone, anyone at all (come on, don't be shy), who would agree with me?
    I totally agree, TPM is your favorite SW movie.

For me, I can't sit through it anymore, though it's slightly more tolerable to me than AOTC - I have seen TPM 4 or 5 times as often as AOTC.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I totally agree, TPM is your favorite SW movie.

For me, I can't sit through it anymore, though it's slightly more tolerable to me than AOTC - I have seen TPM 4 or 5 times as often as AOTC.
    It is funny you should say that. When ATOC came out, I liked it better than TPM. But, I watched ATOC for the first time in a while again last night. I found it incredibly annoying for some reason. Every time I've watched it, I've liked it less and less. On the other hand, I actually liked TPM more every time I watched it. Don't get me wrong, I still like the original trilogy way better.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Well I think TPM is a great film. I like it more than AOTC, ANH, and almost better than ROTJ. I like it just for the complicated plots and all those infinate tiny details put there just for SW fans. And although allot of people rag on the story it really was just the setup, and it was a complicated one at that, so I can see how many don't like this film.
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

I too love TPM, more so than AOTC . Of course it is still nothing compared to the OT, but so far out of the PT it is my fave, I just hope Episode III will be better .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I too love TPM and many on this board should already know this. My favorite Star Wars movie is ANH but second is TPM. I love the characters of Sebulba and Watto. They are both awesome CGI characters. I believe Lucas did a great job with TPM.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

TPM is a great movie. So is AOTC. It doesnt beat out the Ot though. Ithink TOM is better because Hayden isnt acting like a child. At leastJake Lloyd is a kid ansd he had that going for him.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff
    I like it just for the complicated plots and all those infinate tiny details put there just for SW fans.
    What was complicated about it? What tiny details? Enlighten me!

I finally got around to watching the TPM and AOTC DVDs back to back IMMEDIATELY. Well, I watched TPM and then the deleted scenes and then AOTC and its deleted scenes.
    And what a treat this experiment was ! :happy:

I still love AOTC loads more than TPM but I really enjoyed watching it again. I'm surprised to read of more and more fans who enjoy TPM more than AOTC. Even the people who hated TPM seemed to say something like "even though AOTC is not good, it's still better than TPM (even though that's not saying much)."
    Whatever though! If you like TPM more than AOTC, I respect that.

I have to say, even though I loved TPM since the beginning, I don't mind saying that thanks to AOTC I love it even more. I know that some people are of the opinion that a film should be good on its own and not rely on another movie - but like I said, I loved TPM already and yes indeed I think it's even better with AOTC in the can now.

Here's one example:

I always thought that the "farewell to mom" scene was probably Jake Lloyd's best scene. I really like that scene and it makes me sad - I could hardly stand to say goodbye to my mom for 8 hours at that age, let alone an unknown amount of time.
    Also, I assumed since 1999 that Shmi would probably die and Ani might really never see her again.
    Well, at least he gets to see her briefly a decade later.
    I'm not a big fan of the 10 year gap between films but I think it works here. Showing Ani's last 2 meetings with his mom on screen really helps to pull the films together for me.

So basically what I'm saying is that the Jake Lloyd goodbye scene works for me all by itself. But as much as I love Hayden Christensen's goodbye scene in AOTC, I can't help but think of it during TPM, thus letting me enjoy the scene EVEN MORE.

The same goes for the OT . . . ANH by itself can be pretty contained and straightforward but when I watch it in light of what I found out in ESB and ROTJ, I can find more depth there.