Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question customizing astromechs...suggestions?

I'm not big into customizing, beyond swapping cloaks around on figures, but with the cheap availability of the Sneak Preview R3-T7 figure, I can't help but think it would be fun to buy up a few and paint 'em -- an easy way to get the numerous astromech droids I want, but that Hasbro is either not making or are including with figure multipacks (i.e., the Hoth set). I not only want to make some of the astromechs from the movies, but droids with my own color schemes, like [color=hot pink]hot pink[/color] (j/k).

Any advice, primarily on what kind of paint to use, would be most appreciated! I am particularly curious about how to paint R3's clear dome the silvery-white color seen on R2-B1. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Twodot Tatooine
    I'm not big into customizing, beyond swapping cloaks around on figures, but with the cheap availability of the Sneak Preview R3-T7 figure, I can't help but think it would be fun to buy up a few and paint 'em -- an easy way to get the numerous astromech droids I want, but that Hasbro is either not making or are including with figure multipacks (i.e., the Hoth set). I not only want to make some of the astromechs from the movies, but droids with my own color schemes, like [color=hot pink]hot pink[/color] (j/k).

Any advice, primarily on what kind of paint to use, would be most appreciated! I am particularly curious about how to paint R3's clear dome the silvery-white color seen on R2-B1. Thanks in advance!
    I used to paint model cars -- Ferrari's and such I would recommend TESTORS paint -- it works great on plastic -- and there are many colors to choose from. You can fing testors at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Also -- get a "real fine" brush to paint some of the details -- they work great also.

As far as getting a cool effect on R3's head -- try seperating the "insides" of the head from the dome. Choose a bright color (hot pink in your case -- haha ) and paint the dome from the inside -- then add the silver details to the eye piece and the panals on the outside -- this might give it a cool effect. Now you got me wanting to go try it -- have fun and post us a pic when you get done !!!
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

use Acrylic based paints....they clean up easier too
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

Don't use enamel paints. It's still sticky on the surface.

I picked up several POTJ R2s when they were $2 at KB and customized them. Really just dirtied it up to appear as if R2 was on Tatooine.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the sound advice, Val & OC. Now I just have to pick up a few extra R3 units and decide on some color schemes.

Yestertoys R3-T7 $3 non mint.....go crazy...freight is always $5.80....worth the price...

All right, all right! I had my eye on those at Yestertoys for a while, but I was holding out until I could visit an out-of-the-way Wal-Mart I know of that often has older figures marked down. I HATE paying shipping! But I went ahead and ordered 4 of the R3's today. Works out to about $4.50/figure, including shipping. Not bad, like you guys said.

Now I just have to wait a couple of weeks for them to come in. Yestertoys usually gives sterling service, but they are almost painfully slow at shipping the product out.

Plus..you will beat the EP III rush for the new colored clear headed R2 or R3 droids