Maybe Sam Jackson shouldn't be publicly discussing Mace's death?

I only ask because of what went down with AOTC.
    I recall hearing all the hype about how Mace would get to use a lightsaber and see some battle. I was really excited by that and I looked forward to seeing it in a few years.

Saying that Mace would get to fight and use a lightsaber is one thing . . . but then I saw Sam and George Lucas on the MTV awards (for some movies, I think) and I think it was for "Best Fight" ? ? ? Well if I do remember that appearance correctly, George said to Sam that maybe he would be up on the stage next year accepting the award.
    And what happened? It seemed the AOTC fight was really cut down and I remember some fans being disappointed in the brevity of Mace's "big" fight, myself included.

Don't get me wrong, I think his fight with Jangers works fine. Quick and to the point, that's his style. Yet that wasn't the original impression I had so I admit that my expectations were not quite met. Deflecting endless laser bolts from droids and then easily dispatching a bounty hunter in short time was NOT what I thought George was suggesting as "Best Fight" material.

This brings me to the point of my thread because now Sam is making the rounds promoting his current film releases and the subject always seems to turn to Star Wars for a moment.
    And what do we hear?
    "I told George not to kill me off in weak fashion . . . We shot my death scene and I'm not going out like a punk."
    Great, I hope not! :happy:
    As intensely as they may have shot those scenes and as elaborate of a battle he may have while he makes his last stand, there is NO guarantee that George won't hack it to death in the editing room. He seems to change his mind a lot and I would not be surprised if he decided to change the scene(s) . . . instead of Mace fighting Vader intensely and for a lengthy period of time while doing some other heroic act simultaneously - maybe George decides mid-editing that he wants Vader to cheap shot him with an ambush or something?
    This is all speculation on my part but I think there is a valid question here.

Still, I think the paired down AOTC fight could work to George's advantage here. If Ep3 DOES have Mace fighting fiercely and going out in a very difficult way then I think it could be a nice development from the previous 2 films:

TPM - Mace sits around looking bored and doesn't even show up for the Naboo arrival scene because he has a stand-in.
    AOTC - Mace stands around looking bored while defending against battle droids and then quickly drops the hammer on a lesser foe.
    Ep3 - Mace suddenly is not bored as he faces a REAL opponent and after fighting at length, he dies heroically or gives his life for the greater good.

Yeah, I think I like that character development.

i just think sam jackson should shut up about his whole "death scene" in general. why is he allowed to discuss things like this in every interview he gives? lucas is one of the most secretive directors around, yet he lets one of his stars run around blabbing that he gets killed?

i'd think some people wouldn't like to know this stuff. what if liam neeson had done the same thing after he finished filming episode 1? i recall some people gasping in the theatre when maul ran his saber thru qui-gon, but with the way jackson is blabbing, everyone will know he dies two years before the film is released.

......and i wasn't impressed with mace's skills with the saber. jackson may not look like he's in his 50's, but he sure moves like an old man.

I don't mean to be rude but...

I think Sam Jackson shouldn't have been asked to be in Star Wars at in the first place! "I want a purple lightsaber", "I don't wanna die like some punk", "I want... I want... I want...". Just shut up... PERIOD!

Just Kidding... Erhm- mostly...
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

It's not like it's a big surprise, though. In AOTC, there are hundreds of Jedi, in ANH there are two (one on-screen). Something's gotta happen between Episode II and IV to make that happen, and guess what! They die!!!
    I don't think it's bad that Sam talks about Mace dying, as long as he doesn't get too detailed.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

We all know he dies. It is not even a spoiler. The only thing he says is that he "dosen't go out like a punk." That could mean anything since it is Sam Jackson talking. My only question is why does George kiss Sam's @$$. All the time Sam asks for something and George just gives it to him. Heck, if I even ask George to be an extra in his film George would say NOOOOO!!! and get the heck out of Skywalker Ranch.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Sam Jackson... feh.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Well I'm a big fan of Sam Jackson so I'm glad to have him in the movies and I love the enthusiams he shows toward these projects.

Keep in mind that I ask this question not from a spoiler perspective because I could care less about spoilers - I only ask it in light of the last movie and how the hype for Mace's fight was really overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by plo koon 200
    All the time Sam asks for something and George just gives it to him. Heck, if I even ask George to be an extra in his film George would say NOOOOO!!! and get the heck out of Skywalker Ranch.
    Is this a serious complaint?
    Comparing one's self to an established actor is not a very good way of pointing out how "favored" Samuel L. Jackson is.

I could buy that argument when the NSync issue came up, because those guys have zero movie cred . . . but with Sammy he is a person of importance.

George and Secrets

The necessity of keeping details about the saga secretive went away after ROTJ. At that time, people were clamoring to learn every little detail they could about the series after A New Hope blew everyone away.

But with the new series of films, George (initially) underestimated the potential audience and promoted (and filmed) The Phantom Menace in a way that gave away a lot quite unnecessarily (ie. the advanced one sheet). His built-in audience was there and looking back, he had nothing to really worry about.

Of course after the mass disappointment with Episode I (that George admits to on the DVD), he realized that he needed to continue with the promotion in a way that he would never have even considered with Empire or Jedi (HYPERSPACE, Sam Jackson interviews). In fact, now he has to follow the lead from other Hollywood films and promote the crap out of Episode III. I'm sure that he'll have no problem repaying the investment anyway, but massive profit isn't a given anymore.