Hybrid View

Toys R Us Flagship Store in NYC

Just figured I'd post something about this store in case anyone was curious but didn't feel like waiting on the lines to get in...

Only SW merchandise they had as of this afternoon was a couple of Tie Interceptors and a bin chock full o' recent POTJ figs (first time I've seen more than 10 figs at a time anywhere in NYC). No FX-7 wave yet - bin consisted of Emperor's Wrath Vader, Luke X-Wing, new Han, Saesee Tiin, Amidala Theed, K-3PO, Mon Calamari, IG-88, and even a few Sandtroopers left toward the bottom of the bin.

For anyone interested in GI Joe stuff, they had a ton of the exclusive Headquarters at $59.99 a pop. IMHO, with the quantity they had it will be on clearance in another 6 months.

The store itself is a zoo since it's in Times Square (my advice is to go right when they open, or after 6:00 PM), but the anamatronic tyrannasaurus rex is kinda cool, and the ferris wheel is a nifty touch. Unfortunately it seems like more of a tourist attraction than an actual retail store, as the place was packed with people, but only saw three people standing at the cash register to buy stuff on the way out.

Hitman

TRU in Times Square

WOW! I didn't realize the store had opened yet! I'm going to have to make my way down there and have a look see. I live within a few blocks of the 14th Street Union Square TRU and it's total and utter CRAP.

I haven't seen a legit starwars toy there since May '99 when EP1 was released. And even then the employees were shifting the stuff out the back door to Forbidden Planet, the comic book shop down on 13th near the movie theater.

I'm glad to hear they have something though. I'll keep my eyes out for toys there come christmas. I can't wait to score FX-7 in a store rather than having to shell out Xtra $$$ on the internet (Ebay, etc.) Boy that would be sweet....

-JD
    http://www.streetmusicny.com

"Street Music" (Directed by JD Marlow) is a documentary short about performance in public spaces, focusing on NYC street and subway musicians. Check out my web site for more information about the film!

Its funny you guys mention the new store in NYC. it was my last job i did before i left my job. i designed the bathrooms in the store. i have yet to see them!

Well. I got to see my work in the new MANHATTAN TOYS R US and i might say, i am impressed. nice white P.O.L.L.Y stalls!!! anyway, not a hell of alot of star wars there.

Can't say I've checked out those stalls, but whoever designed the traffic flows out on the sales floors needs to be shot. I was there yesterday during the full holiday rush, and they had to stop one of the up escalators because of a pile-up at the top because people had noplace to go.

Just to save everyone else a trip - had plenty of Tie Interceptors; Deluxe Nudie-Lukes & Nudie-Mauls; Shmi wave, Luke X-Wing wave, and Saesee Tiin wave; but not much else.

Hitman

I went to the TRU times square store at opening today and found the whole Fx-7 and Eeth Koth waves. I had to fight off a bunch of scalpers and they were gone within 5 minutes of the store's opening, so if you want them get there early.