Page 114 of 175 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1742
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Kids' buying trends have been steadily declining in freeplay as they become more and more dependent on predetermined play patterns (aka they buy stuff they already know how to play with because they're emulating a movie or TV show the toy is based off of). Kids generally don't buy what looks cool anymore, there's huge competition in the toy aisle and nearly all of it is a strong kid-theme license right now, and that which ain't dies quickly and moves on to KB's discount aisles.

I haven't seen 1 kid interested in Marvel Legends in years, nor Justice League figures nor DC Superheroes, these lines are mostly driven by collector interest. But at a certain level, there are comic characters who get through to kids without any media support because they're the top of the game and infused into the society's current mythos - Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. And it's no surprise then that all 3 of those franchises have separate lines catering to kids over collectors - Superman has the movie spin-off line, Batman has the "The Batman" cartoon line, and Spider-Man has Spidey Classics and Origins (notice that only Spidey survives without direct movie or cartoon support, just an interesting side-point) - and these lines have something else in common, they all are designed for play over display, they have action gimmicks and less articulation than ML and DCSH (both of which are somewhat less fun to play with because the articulation takes too much time to get one from one cool play stance to the next).
    Around here at least, all of the lines you mention there are all the rage and all of the informaton I've been able to gather has each of those lines being pretty good sellers. Also, super-heroes in general are "infused into the society's current mythos" which is precisely the reason I think each of those lines does so well. This coupled with the fact that Marvel Legends in general has been a major success in the past continuing right up to the present (and I have seen plenty of kids interest in the line any time I've been in the toy departments of various retailers) and your average consumer, child or otherwise, I doubt will make the distinction between these characters and Marvel's. When I was a kid I always heavily favored articulation over any other feature I could imagine; as did my younger brother, as well all of my eighteen younger cousins and just about any other kid I knew. I see kids play nowadays and I don't think all the extra articulation bothers them at all. In fact, I can't imagine any child being handed a toy with this level of articulation only to refuse under the pretenses that he might somehow be expected to bend each leg at the knee twice. Any child that for whatever reason would rather not bother would probably play without giving much thought to posing the figure.

Actually, retailers' buyers are pretty in tune with that stuff, they do a lot of marketing research before jumping in too heavily. If this Marvel Toys "Legendary Comic Book Heroes" line does well at all, it'll be because of Hasbro's incompetence with ML over its own merits, but I suspect when ML dries up it'll just take that entire type of market down with it - Legendary Comic book Heroes and DC Superheroes will both quickly fold.
    Again, I hate to disagree here but all the evidence I've seen regarding what retailers' buyers are or are not 'in tune' with indicates just the opposite. Near as I can tell all the trouble the toy industry has had in recent years is directly related to the fact that buyers are seriously uninformed about their business.

Yeah, I'd love to see these get figures like this! However, both characters aren't comic book heroes primarily, The Phantom is a comic strip character and the Shadow is a radio character.
    Phantom was a comic strip character. Shadow was a radio character. If you know of any news papers or radio stations that are currently running the adventures of the Phantom or the Shadow, please direct me. I'd get a kick out of the nostalgia of seeing these heroes in their original formats after such a long time. However, I could forward you recent issues of either hero in comic book format; both of them have appeared fairly consistently in comics for the past twenty years at least. Regardless, both still qualify for this line either way, and both are still very popular with comics audiences, which I'm sure includes the makers of this line.

Also not really a comic character, but it'd be awesome here. These 3 characters are always underappreciated.
    http://www.papercutz.com/zrr/zrr_moreinfo.html

Zorro's also had a pretty good run at a regular series with Topps comics as recently as the mid to late nineties, a comic which actually spawned a toy line of it's own from Playmates. Again, he still qualifies as far as I'm concerned (and since we're deconstructing my personal wishlist.)

Actually, Mage got a pretty decent line back in the late '90s.
    Graphitti Designs only made the one Kevin Matchstick figure and most fans were a bit disappointed by their effort and would openly welcome a better version of the character and a chance for his friends and enemies.

Please bare in mind that my previous post was my own personal wishlist of characters I would personally like to see in this line. Your own mileage may vary, and in spite of the sentiments I'd still like to see these guys made regardless of whether or not it actually happens. If and when the line works out Marvel Toys is gonna want to expand past the initial two assortments (naturally) and these are the characters I'd like most to see make the cut. I'd say my chances are still about even.

I do digress however, as absolutely none of this matters in the least unless and until we see how the line does when it reaches retail. Besides, I highly doubt that any misgivings here will have any bearing on the fact that it's already happening anyway. All in good fun, eh wot?

(I promise JT, I am not picking on ya! Nothin' but love!)

Also, super-heroes in general are "infused into the society's current mythos" which is precisely the reason I think each of those lines does so well.
    I strongly disagree, that's why we have mountains of ML figures from both Hasbro and Toy Biz clogging shelves around here, the less well-known they are, they less they sell.

Again, I hate to disagree here but all the evidence I've seen regarding what retailers' buyers are or are not 'in tune' with indicates just the opposite. Near as I can tell all the trouble the toy industry has had in recent years is directly related to the fact that buyers are seriously uninformed about their business.
    Look at the epic amount of junk retailers aren't buying from Toy Fair every year. They follow trends pretty carefully, they dialed back Pokemon after its run slowed, they tread cautiously into the phony Transformers lines, they knew that females and neimoidians were choking the life out of Star Wars and said they wouldn't buy any more Ep 1 toys if those 2 categories were included. They're not trend-leaders but they are somewhat adept at following trends.

Phantom was a comic strip character. Shadow was a radio character. If you know of any news papers or radio stations that are currently running the adventures of the Phantom or the Shadow, please direct me.
    I'm guessing you missed the part about "primarily", whether or not they're currently active in either medium they are still PRIMARILY not comic book heroes because PRIMARILY they're from other media. Primarily.

However, I could forward you recent issues of either hero in comic book format; both of them have appeared fairly consistently in comics for the past twenty years at least. Regardless, both still qualify for this line either way, and both are still very popular with comics audiences, which I'm sure includes the makers of this line.
    If by "fairly consistently" and "very popular" you mean they've made next to no impact or sales in the past 60 years they've been printed in comic books in the rarest of rare times they get out and they're so unnoticed they almost qualify as "underground", then yeah.

BTW, the last to paragraphs I just made also apply to Zorro, and the Zorro toy line from Playmates was based on the short-lived cartoon, not the comic book. I actually have a few of those Zorro figs from Playmates, action gimmicky and over-muscled but entertaining none the less.

Graphitti Designs only made the one Kevin Matchstick figure and most fans were a bit disappointed by their effort and would openly welcome a better version of the character and a chance for his friends and enemies.
    You sure about just the 1? I came across that figure in my collection on Saturday while cleaning, thought there was a couple others in the set, couldn't find the damn bat.

Anyway, I'd like to see this line succeed, but everything I've seen in the toy industry over the last 15 years says otherwise.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JJB came from the Toy Heavens and graced me with this link of some pics of wave 3 of ML:

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?c...3&itemid=10739

Pics include:
    -Black Knight
    -Astonshing X-Men Cyclops
    -Danger
    -Marvel Girl - Rachel Grey
    -Brood Queen (BAF)

Figs that weren't shown yet: X3 colossus, Bucky, Captain America, and Hydra Soldier. I'm really loving this lineup thus far.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I still think they're horrible-looking, but those look way better than anything from Wave 1 or 2.
    [FONT=Arial Narrow]
    [/FONT]

Has anyone seen the Icons Punisher yet?

Marvel Girl looks passable. But, then again, the prototypes shown at Comic-Con in July all looked awesome, and we see how the line turned out.

Who the hell is "Danger"?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's weird, when I first clicked the link it didn't work, but now it does. They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of these. The materials and paint are still pretty poor here as well. The BAF Brood looks a little weird with those goofy thick teeth.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Marvel Girl actually looks like a decent sculpt.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    Who the hell is "Danger"?
    She's from Whedon's Astonishing X-Men - the Danger Room come to life (not as bad as it sounds).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

"Not as bad as it sounds"? Are you referring to the concept, or that half-wit writing an X-Men book?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Since I first heard of this line up, I've begun to anticipate Marvel Girl the most. I notice three things in rapid succession: the figure is in exactly the outfit I wanted, it's a surprisingly good head sculpt for Marvel Legends, but it does look a little cartoony.

Danger looks better than I expected, but I'm not sure if I would ever get the figure. We've needed a new ML Cyclops figure for some time, and this one looks pretty nice. Black Knight doesn't look too bad.

Those are the only figures I have any real interest in. I'm glad we got to see them. I was worried we were only going to see Hasbro ML-2.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06