Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

New Battlestar Galactica. Seen anything?

I am decidedly out of the loop on the new Battlestar Galactica. I'd heard recently that it will be on the Sci-Fi Channel. I'd seen Richard Hatch at a show about a year ago talking up the revival and heard nothing again until very recently. I did see the cover to a magazine recently that showed the Vipers (they look pretty much like the originals, which is kind of cool). Has anyone seen anything else about this?
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

From what I understand, this is not the version that Richard Hatch has been pushing for. Both Starbuck and Boomer have been made female, and there are even stranger changes a foot. I'll see if I can find the info I read on it. Here's the IMDB page though.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0314979/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Ok, I dug up the Official page for the new series. It has some video files of the new show, as well as some pictures. But I found a ton of pictures on another site. I'll toss both up for you. Nice to see they kept the Cylon design pretty much the same.

http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/trailers/index.html
    http://www.genreonline.net/Battlesta...os_Sci-Fi.html
    http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_1_Sci-Fi.html
    http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_2_Sci-fi.html
    http://www.genreonline.net/Galactica_3_Sci-Fi.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Awesome! The pictures and trailers look stunning. I too am glad to see that the Cylons as well as their fighters and the Vipers are all the same. None of the pictures or videos that I watched gave a shot of the Battlestar so I wonder if they plan on making any changes to it's appearance? I would hope that they keep it the same as they did for the other space vehicles.

During the orginal show the Battlestar was only one ship of a fleet of Earth ships, any idea if the fleet idea is part of the new show? I also didn't see any mention of Richard Hatch being a part of this series, in front of or behind the camera. Anyone know if that's the case or if I just missed it?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Looks good! And you can't go wrong when you've got an underwear model on the ship.

Bummer that it's being shot in Canada, though. Thanks NAFTA!

I thought the Cylons were able to look like humans now. (If accurate, this reeks of "worst plot device possible" to me!)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There are some undercover Humanoid Cylons, I guess. And there were humanoid looking Cylons in the old series. Of course that was Galactica 1980 which sucked on toast, but still.
    Moore promises that these sorts of contradictions have been addressed in his new version of Galactica. Other elements have been significantly modified. The new Cylons, for example, look like humans, and there is a significant reason for this. "Human-like Cylons are better from a creative standpoint because the backstory now is that the Colonials created the Cylons," Moore points out. "The Cylons went off and developed on their own ... and then they came back in this new form. There's a stronger tie between Cylon and human; it literally is parent and child now. That creates a different resonance in the piece, because it's really your children that you have responsibility for, that you've created in a very literal sense, and that have now come back to haunt you. I think that's just richer territory."

For the pundits who may suspect the decision was made due to budgetary constraints, Moore concedes that although cost is always a consideration, this time cost and creativity truly went hand in hand. "The discussion did begin with, 'Okay, what are the Cylons going to be?' but once we started looking at doing humanoid Cylons, we realized that, creatively, it was a much better idea anyway. It creates many other possibilities. They can infiltrate human society. Will they lose themselves in human society? Will they begin asking existential questions such as 'Who am I?', and 'Is there a God?' Those are fascinating things when they are ostensibly a synthetic lifeform." Despite this fresh take, Moore promises that the original Cylons will appear in the new Galactica. "The original Cylons are still in the story, but in very small roles ... they're not really the newest, coolest model of Cylon anymore."

The new version also departs from the original in other dramatic ways. Thanks to their experience with the Cylons, the Colonials are wary of new technology-a thematic element that plays well in our own increasingly technology-dependent society.
    Humanoid Cylon #6

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 09-01-2003 at 09:28 AM.

As much as I'm disappointed that the original Cylon's won't be as visible in the new BSG I won't complain too much if they all look like Humanoid Cylon #6. That's just the poor ol' fanboy in me coming out.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Erhm... isn't that a picture of the actress who plays Starbuck?
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

SUPER WEAK! Why not just have the miniseries' story take place on Earth so to save on the costs of locations, or have the crew travel around in late '70s Ford Grenadas, or have only 2 main characters who ride around on lame so-called 'futuristic' motorcycles like "Star Trek meets CHiPs"... oh wait.

Their reasoning for all this is so heavily-trodden in sci-fi too, why did they have to pick a path so hackneyed? And the real kicker is how they then pat themselves on the back for their creativity, like this hasn't been done before a thousand times.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.