Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Patriot

The Patriot

I loved The Patriot so much that I wish they would have made action figures!

It wasn't "that kind of movie" but it was... plus it's my own country's most important moments in history (thought Patriot and Benjamin Martin's story was not a true story in particular).

But "The Ghost" and all the other characters like Colonel Tavington were all larger than life. OK, Generals Cornwallis and Washington were really as large as life since they were real. Tavington might've been. I didn't research it.

But the costumes and uniforms were so cool!

Before "The Patriot" I so much wanted to see a movie about the Revolutionary War! Emmerich did a fantastic job!

I think it was perfect, though probably too bloody and violent for kids to watch as an educational tool in school. If I was the teacher, I'd send home those Parental Consent forms because "The Patriot" is worth it!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Ah, drat!! I thought we were talking about the horrid Steven Seagal film version of, "The Patriot"! damn!

I assume you're talkinga bout the Mel Gibson movie? if so, i hated it w/ a passion, probably his worst movie ever, in my opinion. It was basically, "Braveheart: a few centuries later"
    1. regular guy doesn't want to fight
    2. regular guy forced to fight
    3. regular guy suffers tragedies
    4. stuff happens, people die, the end.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
    I remember when Heath Ledger met his end in that movie, all the girls in the audience, including my g/f at the time, were on the verge of tears, while all the guys in the theater kinda looked at each other and rejoiced silently.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

yeah, i saw most of it... this made the braveheart trilogy complete... braveheart (pratically the best movie ever...) gladiator: braveheart in rome, and the patriot: braveheart in america...
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

I disagree. I didn't much care for Braveheart, it was too Hollywood for my tastes. And I thought it was supposed to have the "greatest battles ever," but I guess after seeing LOTR, when I finally saw Braveheart I was like, "That's it?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin2121
    I disagree. I didn't much care for Braveheart, it was too Hollywood for my tastes. And I thought it was supposed to have the "greatest battles ever," but I guess after seeing LOTR, when I finally saw Braveheart I was like, "That's it?!"

Wow you didnt like Braveheart. Me either. I thought I was the only one. That movie put me to sleep, TWICE!!

The Patriot was a damn good movie. I loved it. One of Gibsons best performances ever. Seeing it on the big screen helped alot. It is one of the few movies that Ican watch on TV without getting irked about commercials(SW beig the others).
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm pretty sure that Glory had one of the best battles ever, but admittedly it's been awhile since I've seen either of them. But certainly not LOTR (in my opinion.)

"The patriot" was just awful...full of that sickly sweet american sentimentality last seen in another overrated film: Saving Private Ryan.

"Braveheart" while I can recognize it as a good movie, was ridiculously innaccurate from a historical perspective. Being of scottish descent and knowing the story of William Wallace VERY well...some of the melodramatic "adjustments" just stick in my craw....

I love this movie, I'm hoping to get it on DVD. Mostly cause I just prefer to watch realistic war movies, and it has quite a few funny parts. The best part though is that it has some very serious parts, such as the Reverend getting shot as he loans his gun. The church getting burned down with people inside, and the one guy's suicide.

Doubt it would've done well if it hadn't of had such good acting either, perfect choices for alot of the roles. Especially Tavington, the guy who played him could just pull off pure evil very nicely.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord Returns
    "The patriot" was just awful...full of that sickly sweet american sentimentality last seen in another overrated film: Saving Private Ryan.

"Braveheart" while I can recognize it as a good movie
    LOL! You liked Braveheart, and yet didn't like The Patriot or Private Ryan, both of which I loved. So maybe I shouldn't feel that bad about not liking Braveheart.
    LOTR certainly has had some of the most epic battles ever. Like the Prologue fight in FOTR, and Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.
    What the heck would Glory have had? I've never heard much about that movie. I honestly don't see how a Civil War movie could have the greatest battle ever, since it's largely just recreationists walking up to each other and firing blanks.

LOL! You liked Braveheart, and yet didn't like The Patriot or Private Ryan, both of which I loved. So maybe I shouldn't feel that bad about not liking Braveheart.
    LOTR certainly has had some of the most epic battles ever. Like the Prologue fight in FOTR, and Helm's Deep in The Two Towers.
    What the heck would Glory have had? I've never heard much about that movie. I honestly don't see how a Civil War movie could have the greatest battle ever, since it's largely just recreationists walking up to each other and firing blanks.
    Let me be clear.

I can recognize Braveheart as a well made film, but I didn't like it. For many of the same reasons I didn't like Private Ryan. Patriot was just not a good film, IMO. Bad acting, terrible script......all the sentimental "aren't we great" flag waving that Private Ryan had, and more......