Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Race and Star Wars

I was just reading another post wherein someone commented about wanting a "black" Bespin Guard, and some kind of automatic response kicked in and I immediately mentally corrected him with (whisper) African American.

First, I've always thought that that kind of deliniation was silly being that not all "African Americans" really came from Africa, and in fact, hardly anyone who is alive in America today has ever seen Africa.

But I digress. The silliness of my correction hit me when I realized that the Star Wars Galaxy probably doesn't have an Africa anywhere. For that matter, it doesn't have an Asia, or a Central America, or an Eastern Europe. While on one hand, it's easy to look at a Mon Calamari guy and see that they all come from one unique planet, where did all the human "races" come from in the Star Wars galaxy?

Of course, we don't know exactly how or why the races became so (superficially) different here on Earth, and that kind of understanding would go a long way in helping to explain the question as it applies to Star Wars, but did all humans there come from just one planet and then spread like locusts all over the place? Or is there a "white" planet, and a "black" planet, and an "Asian" planet, and a "Hispanic" planet? (did I miss anyone?)

My guess would be that they started on one planet...and throughout the centuries migrated perhaps to other planets....

If you consider the idea that Mon Cals, Quarren, Wookies, and the like have similar superficial differamces that the human populations do, it makes sense that they all started on their own planet, and moved throughout the galaxy to new systems and such. Tattooine alone seems like a planet made up entirely of migrants from other systems....save for the Tuskens, of course......it's like a mirror of frontier times in North America....

Oooohh- before this thread goes astray and gets closed, the strangest observation...
    Okay, in Star Trek, the planet Vulcan has so many light-skinned people on it??? I mean, on earth the differences in colour are largely due to climate and stuff, and since it seems that most of vulcan is arid desert, why would there be different colours, or even why would there be any light-skinned individuals, if the whole place was a blazing desert??? How come they at least all don't have healthy tans or anything???
    I always thought that was real funny
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

I don't see how this thread would be closed....

I've never really considered the vulcan question.....seems more rocky than desert though....

Following that logic, why don't the Mon Calamari dry up?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Following that logic, why don't the Mon Calamari dry up?
    i always assumed that's why they all seemed to wear a similar looking outfit......something that could keep them hydrated in their suits?

Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    Oooohh- before this thread goes astray and gets closed, the strangest observation...
    Okay, in Star Trek, the planet Vulcan has so many light-skinned people on it??? I mean, on earth the differences in colour are largely due to climate and stuff, and since it seems that most of vulcan is arid desert, why would there be different colours, or even why would there be any light-skinned individuals, if the whole place was a blazing desert??? How come they at least all don't have healthy tans or anything???
    I would guess that hundreds of years of living as non-desert inhabitants would eventually lead to a lightening of their skin. At the point that we see the Vulcans they are a civilization of space travelers so the genetic need for a darker skin tone is long gone. Just like how humans are evolving to have have less and less body hair than their cave dwelling counterparts.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudon
    Green blood.

Anyway, as Overlord pointed out, Wookiees, Mon Cal, Neimoidians, Ugnauts, Ewoks, Gungans, and especially Twi'leks lately, all have different races within their species, it's not so hard to believe that humans would too. Why would their home planets work any differently from ours? Earth has varying environments that facilitate physical differences in the evolutions of peoples, why not Corellia, Alderaan, Coruscant, and wherever?

So do the humans call them "black" and "white"? I wouldn't think so, that seems like a pair of woefully inaccurate descriptions. Would they even have terms to describe them as a race at all? My guess there is that because of all those non-humanoid species cohabitating the SW galaxy, the humans would band together rather than segregate themselves and not recognize an artificial social stigma based simply on skin color.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think the Gungans show the best example of differences within one species (other than humans). Look at the differences between Jar Jar and Boss Nass.

As for why humans would all hang out together, "birds of a feather flock together." I think language and biological needs would keep most species living together. Humans would have food, medical, habitual needs that wouldn't suit other species living with them. Humans would then set up shop with a micro-culture that would incompass their every need. Either you live within that area or you tough it out with the Huts and try to find a doctor that knows what the heck legs do.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I agree with whoever brought up different races in their species. They probably do have names for the places where they were born but since its a galaxy wide community they go by the name of their planets. Like for example, lets say Earth was in the Star Wars universe. We have Russia, India, Colombia, Canada etc. but it would be easier to identify yourself as an Earthling. I doubt there is a planet whose main population is human that is strictly white, black, brown, red, or any other color. Look at Correllia, Han is white and if i recall correctly isnt Adi Gallia the from the same planet. She doesnt have white skin. In short, i dont think skin color would be a big deal (if any at all) in the Star Wars universe.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay