Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Special Edition Trilogy VHS question

Back when the Special Edition Trilogy set was released, I was not yet aware of the differences between Widescreen and Full Screen. As many are aware, sometimes the packaging is so close with just a small band saying if its wide or full screen. While I was watching the VHS version of the set I own, I noticed that I have the full screen. My question is, was there a wide screen version made? I have seen many eBay auctions with the SE box set, but they never mention Wide or Full screen, and I am a fan of the wide screen.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Yeah, there was one made, but it was relatively hard to get, i think, i could be wrong. I was a putz and didn't know the beauty of WS and i got the FS instead. The WS set is in a silver box instead of the gold and I think it says "wide-screen" on there somewhere. I'd look, but mine are upstairs, and all those stairs?!!?

I later got the WS as a gift when i graduated from high school. Cost roughly about 75 bucks, as it was rare those days in 2000.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I bought the Widescreen the day it came out. It was in a silver box and they had a bunch of full screen versions. I was not smart at the time and thought that becuase it was the only silver box that it was a rare edition. It said widescreen so I thought there was something special about it. I guess I was right and my accidental purchase paid off in the long run because widescreen is a zillion times better than fullscreen.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

I missed out on the Star Wars SE releases but do have both Full and Widescreen editions of the original SW trilogy that came out a few years before the SE. I'm glad I did purchase them as I prefer Han Solo just blasting Greedo.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Great, I'll have to keep my eye open for them on eBay, even though it's not like I don't own enough copies of the trilogy already. Maybe I'll just wait until Lucas releases them on DVD, only this time I will wait to get the widescreen.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Why anyone would ever buy a "full screen" copy of any movie is beyond me. If you're only going to be allowed to see half the film, you should only have to pay half the price.

The best way to solve this problem is to let the studios know that you hate full screen by never buying any of them. Insist on widescreen and let the retailers know it.

I'm with you stillakid, I ALWAYS buy widescreen . . . except for The Master of Disguise because it was only released fullscreen.

I like the silver/gold boxed sets and still see them in the used CD stores on occasion . . . I see the fullscreen gold a lot more though.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Why anyone would ever buy a "full screen" copy of any movie is beyond me. If you're only going to be allowed to see half the film, you should only have to pay half the price.
    People with smaller TVs might want to see more detail in the central focus of the film instead of less detail covering a wider focus - it's hard to enjoy a massive battle shown in letterbox when everything on the screen is a small dot. If they can't see it, they can't enjoy it. It's like Ted Turner's colorization, it's an affront to cinema and lessens the quality of the images, but it invites a greater opportunity to the uninitiated to experience the film.

Besides, widescreen's just a gimmick to counter television's overwhelming grasp on the viewing audience... 50 years ago!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Once again, the MAN is just keeping us down with Widescreen.

I went to the store 2 weeks ago to finally by ATOC on DVD and couldn't find a single Widescreen copy anywhere. There were tons of the Full screen but tha was it. These things were clogging the shelves so I had to go without. I might be forced to purchase it online since it's so hard to find the proper version in an actual store.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    I missed out on the Star Wars SE releases but do have both Full and Widescreen editions of the original SW trilogy that came out a few years before the SE. I'm glad I did purchase them as I prefer Han Solo just blasting Greedo.
    One of the best scenes in ANH and lucas took it out. Does anyone believe he will reinsert the original Greedo demise into the archive additions when the OT is finally released on dvd? I do. I think Lucas knew that was a mistake. I also think he'll finally put the cut scenes into the OT. I believe!!!