The TSA is a crock.

Our relatively new transportation security providers, the TSA, isn't do much to improve our safety over the previous high school dropouts running the checkpoints. Now they have a cooshy (sp?) government job and a fancy uniform to impress the opposite sex. This firm put together a report that blasts the TSA security. It just goes to show that we have a long way to go.

Aviation Security

Too bad, it was a good idea that hasn't matured.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I'm reopening this one on the condition that this thread avoids discussing the political elements mentioned in the article.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Check this out for TSA mess ups:

DALLAS (Sept. 10) - A homesick shipping clerk had himself shipped from New York to Dallas in an airline cargo crate, startling his parents - and a deliveryman - when he broke out of the box outside their home.

Charles D. McKinley, 25, was arrested and jailed on unrelated bad-check and traffic charges after his overnight odyssey. Federal officials are considering additional charges of stowing away on a plane.

``My husband asked him, `Man, what are you doing in this crate?' He said he was coming home,'' McKinley's mother told KDFW-TV in Dallas.

Federal officials want to know how the stowaway bypassed airport security.

In a rambling jailhouse interview, McKinley told KXAS-TV in Dallas that he made the trip because he was homesick and a friend thought he could save money by flying as cargo. McKinley said he took no food or water on the 15-hour journey, just a cell phone, which did not work.

``I'm sitting there thinking, `Oh God, I don't know why I'm doing this,''' he said. ``I'm sitting there thinking like any minute somebody will notice that there's somebody sitting inside this crate. ... No one did.''

Before setting out, McKinley filled out shipping instructions saying the crate held a computer and clothes. Authorities believe he had help from at least one co-worker at the warehouse where he works in New York when he loaded himself in the box.

The box was taken by truck from New York's Kennedy Airport to New Jersey. Then it was loaded onto a pressurized, heated cargo plane operated by Kitty Hawk Cargo. It flew from Newark, N.J., to Niagara Falls, N.Y., then to the carrier's hub in Fort Wayne, Ind., and on to Dallas, the FBI said.

On Saturday, Billy Ray Thomas, a driver for Pilot Air Freight, picked up the crate at Dallas-Fort Worth Airport and delivered it to McKinley's parents' home in suburban DeSoto.

When Thomas went to unload the 350-pound crate from his truck, he saw a pair of eyes and thought there was a body inside.

Then McKinley broke the box open and crawled out, said police Lt. Brian Windham.

McKinley's mother was stunned. The delivery driver called police.

DeSoto police said the crate measured 42 by 36 by 15 inches. McKinley stands 5-foot-8 and weighs 170 pounds, authorities said.

Authorities said they did not know whether McKinley had any toilet facilities. But the stowaway told the TV station that he got out of the crate during flights once or twice and walked around.

His box was carried in the pressurized, heated cabins, but could just as easily have been placed in the lower, unpressurized holds, said Richard G. Phillips, chief executive of Pilot Air Freight.

``He could easily have died,'' Phillips said.

The freight cost - billed to McKinley's employer - was $550. At that rate, ``he could have flown first-class,'' Phillips said.

Investigators from the federal Transportation Security Administration interviewed McKinley twice to learn how he got past security.

``We're not aware this has happened previously, so obviously it's something we are investigating aggressively,'' TSA spokeswoman Suzanne Luber said.

Air cargo receives less federal security attention than passenger planes, in part because of its sheer volume, and critics have suggested that terrorists could use cargo flights as weapons.

Other than the federal statute, District Attorney Bill Hill said he could not cite any law that McKinley broke.

``He violated the law of stupidity if nothing else,'' Hill said.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Nice work boys.

I have to deal with the movie studio's and their "security" quite a bit and I think that both they and the TSA are in a contest to see just how ridiculous they can be.

What it boils down to is that it's all just a big show put on to make us feel better. Fact is, if somebody wants to inflict damage somewhere, they'll find a way to do it. These "security guards" run through the standard checklist of what they're told to do without really "checking" vehicles, bags, etc. thoroughly. And this nonsense of checking "regular" people in spot checks is the biggest waste of time since, well, the internet. You can't stop disgruntled workers who come from every sector of society, but the only terrorist we've had attack lately who was "non-ethnic" was Timothy McVeigh. I'm all for the TSA and other rent a cops to start using some common sense and use racial profiling a bit more. I don't want to see more security. I'd rather see smarter security.

Was that political?

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    I don't want to see more security. I'd rather see smarter security.
    Oximoron.

The thing that gets me is that we (pilots) aren't required to go through security unless there isn't a discrete entrance for us to use out of the public eye. I guess the last thing the TSA wants is for passengers to watch us "bypass" security, nevermind that police officers and air marshalls (and their guns) walk around in plain view. So since we're forced to pass through I've been made the scapegoat a few times. "We'll show that we're througho by making an example of this guy." Gee, thanks. Nevermind that I've had a 10 year Federal background check and my fingerprints are on file with the government.

I hate to say it but if a pilot wants to crash an airplane, putting them through a metal detector does prevent that. In the history of commercial aviation how many times has a US pilot used his aircraft as a weapon or terroristic tool? Now, how many passengers have done it?

I think you hit the nail on the head Stilla, they have to be smarter and to things differently, not do the same job better than the previous group.

Exhaust Port,

how does a person get to be an airline pilot? were you a pilot in the military or did you go to a commercial flight school?........just curious.

Commerical flight school. 4 year degree, earned all the required certificates and ratings in the program, was a flight instructor for about 2 years teaching after graduation everyone from brand new pilots to the more advanced. Had done an internship that got my foot in the door and BAM, I'm an airline pilot.

That was then, now you have to be Chuck Yeager's son and have 5 Shuttle missions under your belt to get in. Times are tough but looking to get better.