Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yet another archival edition thread, but it's a fun one to chat about...

I know this thread has been set up so many times it isn't funny, but we could always explore some areas not explored yet. I have always though that the way the PT is presented, the film quality is lightyears beyond that of the OT, but if you really watch it closely, there's really no where in the OT that is visually different than that of the PT (minus some very few bad effects shots and the darkness of the OT). I think the biggest reason I thought this, and others as well, is the fact that ever since the OT has left the theater it has been presented on VHS (which is horrible quality compared to DVD). I think when the movies make a digital transfer and perhaps a digital clean up like they are doing for Indy DVD's, the movies will look flawlessly alike and flow perfectly showing the downfall of a beautiful society to a decrepit universe.
    Ah, good...here comes the Air Force with those new round planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Monarche
    I think the biggest reason I thought this, and others as well, is the fact that ever since the OT has left the theater it has been presented on VHS (which is horrible quality compared to DVD).
    *JJB pets his widescreen laserdisc boxsets of the OT and the OT:SE*

I have to agree totally. The VHS versions have pretty much always looked pretty bad, once you've gotten used to the quality of DVD. But the film is 20 years old, it's always never going to look as perfect as anything new. But the LD versions are still vastly superior to the VHS versions. Which is why my home theater set up will always include a Laserdisc player. It's the best friend a videophile can have.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 09-09-2003 at 10:58 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Would be nice if I could find one of these Laserdisc player things that I've heard about ... I'm just waiting for the day when a friend or family member finally walks up and says, "Oh hey, didn't you want one of these? Take this one."
    (Oh, some day.)

"I think when the movies make a digital transfer and perhaps a digital clean up like they are doing for Indy DVD's, the movies will look flawlessly alike and flow perfectly showing the downfall of a beautiful society to a decrepit universe."

You know, I'd also think that your pretty much right. I do think that for the most part, we fans would (or should) be able to suspend our tendency to reflexively compare, contrast and then criticize the films when played in sequence. I would hope that the story ... the adventure from start to "finish", would be the most important thing. I find myself trying to get away from contrasting the digital look with the celluloid look ... all of the movies that we have are visually compelling in their own way. Just because something is "new" or something is "old" doesn't automatically make it better or worse.

Yeah. It would be great to have a nicely done digital transfer of the OT ... hopefully done in such a way as to maintain what is best about "film" as a medium. Hopefully the rich and warm characteristics that are inherent with film can be translated to DVD. But agreed, it would have to be better than what we have on VHS. Watching a video tape these days is about as entertaining as listening to music on a cheap cassette tape ... a bit thin.
    plasticfetish.net

Okay, I agree with you that it will look better, but I kinda like watching it on VHS. Call me old fashioned but I do. Kinda the same as slapping an album on a record player and hearing the crackle of the needle. Technology is good and soon enough we will be saying DVD's are bad because of the next best thing. It makes about three times I would have bought the SW OT. VHS, then the SE and then the DVD. Kinda like going from album, to tape, to cd.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I have total faith they will clean it up perfectly for it's DVD release. Also, not go go off topic, but does anyone else think Lucas will redo the scene where Luke takes the helmet off of Vader? Well, not the Luke parts, but the Vader scene, and have a battle damaged Hayden instead?

I really think he will go this route.

I hope not! There's nothing wrong with having another actor portray Anakin, we've had two in the prequels. The only actor I hope is replaced is the old chimp-lady Emperor in ESB. Ian McDiarmid is amazing!!!

I think there may be a bit of a digital clean up, like on the Indy DVDs, but only stuff like removing Han's reflection when running away from the Imperial Bunker .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Agreed Pendo, they need toleave Vader alone. He is aged, and all. Putting Haydens mug in there will be horrible.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Just for the record, I myself hope they will leave it alone, but I just have a strong feeling Lucas will feel the need to change it.

IMO I don't care what Lucas does in the Archival Edition, just as long as we get the original versions on DVD too! If the AE sucks I'd still be able to watch the original versioons . I can't see what Lucas' big problem is with releasing the original versions?!?

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    But the LD versions are still vastly superior to the VHS versions.
    I understand LD is superior to DVD too.

Plus, I don't have a problem adding in scenes that "could have been there" like seeing Bail Organa on Alderan before it blew up. Anything that doesn't change what was there in the beginning is fine with me but don't go changing major things like adding Hayden's face on Vader. The monkey eyes on the emperor can go(ESB) maybe even putting Ian Mcdirmind in there wouldn't bother me because it was suppose to be him all along anyway. New scenes with the Emperor in ANH would be okay. But still, we need ALL and I mean all versions on DVD released!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by scruffziller; 09-13-2003 at 09:27 AM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!