Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Please help settle an argument

Hello,

An office argument has erupted and I really hope I am right - but i'm not absolutely certain. The question is : When Star Wars was first released in 1977, did it it say on the opening scroll 'Episode IV'? I say it did, but others disagree. Please help, you're my only hope.

Thanks
    Mightywhelk
    and I thought they smelled bad on the outside...

Quote Originally Posted by mightywhelk
    Hello,

An office argument has erupted and I really hope I am right - but i'm not absolutely certain. The question is : When Star Wars was first released in 1977, did it it say on the opening scroll 'Episode IV'? I say it did, but others disagree. Please help, you're my only hope.

Thanks
    Mightywhelk
    I BELIEVE IT DID HAVE THE "A NEW HOPE" BUT NOT THE "IV", BUT I MIGHT BE MISTAKEN AND IT COULD BE THE OTHER WAY AROUND.....I FORGET ACTUALLY.

I wasn't born then, but from what I understand it said neither "Episode IV" or "A New Hope" when it was released in 1977. I think those two titles were added with Ep4's re-release so it was the same as TESB's . I'm not 100% sure on that though.

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Pendo's correct, Lucas origianlly left off the 'Episode IV: A New Hope', since it was uncertain at the time, whether the film would be popular enough to guarentee the entire Saga. When it became box-office gold, greenlighting future films it was decided to tack on the chapter number. This occured during the re-release for ANH, before ESB opened in theaters.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

hehehehehe Office Arguement. Alright, who stole who's stapler?!?!??! I'm gonnna set..the building on fire.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    hehehehehe Office Arguement. Alright, who stole who's stapler?!?!??! I'm gonnna set..the building on fire.

LOL!!!!! Geat movie...

I never knew that though, interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    Pendo's correct, Lucas origianlly left off the 'Episode IV: A New Hope', since it was uncertain at the time, whether the film would be popular enough to guarentee the entire Saga. When it became box-office gold, greenlighting future films it was decided to tack on the chapter number. This occured during the re-release for ANH, before ESB opened in theaters.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

So thats where the SE'S started. Way back when.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Yes, I being old enough to remember seeing ANH at the theatre in 1977, recall that there was no "Episode IV: A New Hope".

Now where did I put my car keys?
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Hmm, I seem to remember it having the episode number on it (but not the ANH title). Just, Episode IV, Star Wars. I vaguely recall an article from way back when which examined this mystery.

When I get the chance, I'll dig through my tomes of stuff and see if I can find something about it.

I was not born at the time either (like Pendo). I wish I was because then I could have gotten some of the toys and watched the movie when it first came out etc etc. Good question about the title.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.