Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Inbound Hurricane

I was just wondering if any of the forum members are going to be getting hit by the Hurricane. It looks like it's going to be passing over eastern OH/western PA (albeit a lot weaker) by Saturday depending on the track. We probably won't get the high winds but I'm sure we'll be floating in the heavy rains. We've already lost one building downtown thanks to the rain this summer, something like this should prove interesting for the building left standing. I've got to make sure that I have extra batteries for the digital camera.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Just in case you haven't seen a plot of Isabel's track here's a picture.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/AL1303P.GIF

Speaking on behalf of the 20+ members who participate in the MD/VA/DC thread, we should all catch a decent part of the storm, especially the Virginia members. Last I read, DC and Baltimore are going to get 3-6 inches of rain, while VA and West VA could get 6-10 inches.

I live just east of DC and my backyard usually floods during normal storms, so we'll see what happens Friday.

Just hope for the best for our friends in North Carolina.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

My brother just moved to Baltimore last week and is preparing for the worst. 2 years ago he lost his car to a hurricane/flooding in Houston. It seems Mother Nature is trying to teach him a lesson. Bad Karma?

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Just in case you haven't seen a plot of Isabel's track here's a picture.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/AL1303P.GIF
    Wow, all the way up into Canada.
    I never realized a hurricane could reach so far.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Yeah, but with the exchange rate it'll only hit there with 80% force.

Yeah, but with the exchange rate it'll only hit there with 80% force.
    True, I could tell that from the map. But it always seemed to me that it would completely stop where the green would end there on the map. Do alot, or even most hurricanes reach that far(in the yellow) or is this one extremely bad. Like compared to hurricane Andrew.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I think what the map is showing is were the center of the low pressure will track. Obviously the eye of the hurricane won't last very long over land but the low pressure will still exist. You can assume then that with the low pressure that the hurricane rain will be brought with it. So looking at the map, Ohio is in the 10-19% range which means that is the chance that center of the low pressure can pass over us. Then you can assume that a majority of the rain will be associated along that path and decrease/fan out from that point.

I think most hurricanes have long reaching effects in land, even the weaker storms. The biggest decrease will be seen in wind speed leaving the rest of the country to suffer under the tons of rain. The flooding is what ends up killing most people which is why even the land locked need to watch out and prepare for the passage of the low pressure.

Also, my 80% force comment was a joke about the US/Canadian exchange rate. It seems my humor was lost there.

Also, my 80% force comment was a joke about the US/Canadian exchange rate. It seems my humor was lost there.
    I thought it was pretty funny

Looks like I don't have to go to work tomorrow or Friday. The DC Metro System (train and bus) is shutting down as well...and since that is my ride to work. My wife went to 4 stores to day and all of them were sold out of batteries.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".