Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Either way it sucks.

It doesn't matter what he has now or what he had then, he still had to steal to get any of it. I'd feel like crap no matter what.

"for more, LEGIT star wars stuff like a true fan!"

I'm not sure exactly what we mean by fan here, and I'm not sure why this thread's in the Saga section either.
    plasticfetish.net

It's neat to have some stuff that other people don't have, but who really want's one great piece like a baseball that sport fans have. I would probably have traded in the one thing for many things like your friend. There would also always be questions of authenticity, and presentability. IMO
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonk 1979
    I told him he did the right thing...
    You mean he returned it to the owner from which he stole it?

It seems your definition of the right thing is a bit warped.

If your friend is in Texas it's considered a felony if the item is valued at more than $1,500 but less than $20,000. I'm sure anything taken from ILM or whatever has a pretty high value.

Section 31.03 Theft (4) a state jail felony if:

(A) the value of the property stolen is $1,500 or more but less than $20,000, or the property is less than 10 head of cattle, horses, or exotic livestock or exotic fowl as defined by Section 142.001, Agriculture Code, or any part thereof under the value of $20,000, or less than 100 head of sheep, swine, or goats or any part thereof under the value of $20,000;

Felony then puts it into a different catagory which is beyond just the petty theft statute of limitations time frame. I don't know what state would be procecutig the theft but I'm sure they have similar laws.

Your friend also seems to be assuming he knows when the statute of limitations clock started counting down. It definately wasn't from the day that he stole it. Even if those limitations were exceded he still can be procecuted for selling stolen property. Even if he was able to keep his trap shut for 3 years what makes you think the guy that he sold it to can? The problem people have with stuff like this is the compulsion to show it off. And when the cops show up at that persons door (or the person he sold it to) I'm sure they'll sing like a canary pointing their fingers to the previous seller.

No matter what your friends interpretation is of the law a big factor that you can't account for is that their lawyers are bigger than your lawyers. They want to punish you, they'll find a way.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Heck, I want to know what he got from Lucasfilm!?

Anyways, I would want a bunch of cool stuff rather than the one thing. It can drive somebody mad too, like in LOTR!
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I must have got in late on this thread. Oh well, from what I read, someone stole something. I say we brand his forehead, with the words "Thief". That will teach him!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

It seems Gonk 1979's friend stole something from LucasArts/ILM or something, held onto it for 3 years with the hopes of avoiding penalty by exceeding the statute of limitations for theft. Then after the 3 years, traded it for tons of "legit" Star Wars merchanise. The original question was whether he did the right thing by trading it for common legit Star Wars stuff or should he have kept the obviously rare/unique piece. The "right thing" wasn't having the thief return the item but rather the decision of keeping vs. selling. Idiot.

I guess this thread just proves once again why criminals eventually get caught, they can't keep their bloody mouths shut. The urge to brag becomes impossible to silence and next thing you know they're talking about it on a public forum. Duh!

Hey George, you reading this?

It seems Gonk relized he said too much.

For sure too much.

(Paraphrasing for latecomers.)
    "Hey my buddy stole something from a guy most of you really admire and then he traded it for a bunch of cool toys that you all probably couldn't afford. What do you think of that?"

Sorry, but ... duh!
    I suppose there's a reason the Gonk droid can only say "Gonk, gonk."
    plasticfetish.net

Perhaps Gonk is Basic for "Duh, Duh."