Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dances with Wolves

Here's another movie that I recommend in case you haven't seen it yet.

I love the idea of frontier exploration and the valiant effort it took to communicate with the native American Indians.

The story's good and the way the movie comments on life, finding happiness, and what things are really important - such as Dunbar's conflict with his duty and with what he decides is morally right is really well done.

The action in the film is well done with Indian vs Indian and soldiers vs Indians, not to mention a great opening that takes place during the Civil War with Yankees vs. Rebels. It's all good.

The music here is great, too. I love epic films.

Excellent movie recommendation, and I'm not a huge fan of westerns and especially Kevin Costner. But I love this movie, mostly for the story and how it handles the Native Americans realistically and respectfully. They're not portrayed like savages like many earlier western movies.

Though I recommend if you're a fan of the film, you pick up the recent SE 2-disc DVD set from MGM. It includes the much better extended 3 hour and 56 minute cut of the film. As well as director commentary by Kevin Costner and some excellent making of features and more.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

What extra scenes are in the movie?

And why do people get down on Kevin Costner? I like his movies.

It seems bandwagon to bash people who are successful.

I saw this movie in 8th grade and loved it. I do remember when they show Costner's arse and the teacher covered it up, but looked at it (she was a woman) hehehehehe

I think they bash him cos his last couple movies have been horrible. "Waterworld", "Dragonfly", "The Postman"

I think "Open Range" was a success to disney studios, so he's back in the business. My fave movie of his will always be "Field of Dreams" or "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" That new RH DVD is awesome!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

A lot more character development, it's really too much to list here. I suggest just picking it up, it really does make the movie a much richer experience.
    Much of the additional material embellishes relationships already in the theatrical cut. We see some things depicted more literally, such as the departure of the soldiers from Fort Sedgewick. We observe additional images of the Sioux homestead before Dunbar meets them. Other sequences broaden relationships such as the one between Fist and Dunbar; the longer version shows their romance in greater detail. Nothing revelatory happens here, but various elements get a little more room to breathe.
    As for Kevin Costner. He's an egomaniac, and a lot of bad press has come from the directors that he's worked with that say he's incredibly difficult to get along with. Not to mention like JMG said, he's had some real stinkers. And I just don't like him as an actor. It's not a bandwagon I'm on, I can dislike someone without it being the fashionable thing to do.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I take it you don't like Egomaniacs then? They make me laugh.

As for Westerns, I'd like to see some realistic westerns being made without all the cliches that the older westerns had. I mean the war movie genre has seriously moved on and movies today are better for it.
    "Trust me, itís paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the Globe in search of something we havenít Tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what, itís probably worth it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    I love epic films.
    Good news for you if you're a Ridley Scott fan. He starts filming an epic movie called "Crusade" in January 2004 about the Crusades. Should be AMAZING.
    "Trust me, itís paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the Globe in search of something we havenít Tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what, itís probably worth it."

DWW is a great movie. I love the epic feel of the scenery and how the movie carries itself so well for so long with minimal dialog. It always looks great on the big screen.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I just watched this again with some of my company who arrived for Comic Con and my friend was as fascinated with the film as I was. Here's another soundtrack I'd buy, also.

And whomever said the scenery was beautiful was so right. It's hard to believe (living in over-crowded Southern California like I do) that there are places in this country with miles of untouched land.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho
    It's hard to believe (living in over-crowded Southern California like I do) that there are places in this country with miles of untouched land.
    This movie highlights the natural beauty that exists there better than most, but the funny thing is, hundreds of thousands of people drive right through it every year on the way to more popular spots like Mount Rushmore, Sturgis (or these days, Deadwood), and curse that same landscape for being so drab. I lived there for ten years and miss it every day.

One downside is that while SW collecting isn't impossible, it's not easy either.
    You'll never have another boss like me ó someone who's basically a chilled-out entertainer.
    ó David Brent