Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Re: 'X-3' & 'Wolverine: The Movie' News!!

i was just watching "thunderbirds" (quite an enjoyable little film, pretty fun...) and the actress who plays "lady penelope," sophia miles would be PERFECT in the rold of emma frost, aka the white queen. not that i've heard anything to suggest she's in the movie, but if they were to use her character, they'd be very remiss not to cast her. she's also been in "from hell" and "underworld." it just hit me as i was watching this movie, though, because the character is very similar to emma...

http://imdb.com/name/nm0617009/
    Nachos are the right of all sentient beings.

The guns... They've stopped!
    - Dan Akroyd, Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope

Matthew Vaughan Officially Off X-Men 3!!

Well, holy crap. This is a bit of a suprise. But it's confirmed, since they talked to Avi Arad himself about the project. I'm suprised they didn't try to work around his schedule. Especially after how big a deal it was that Matthew Vaughan had the job. But assuming they want it out in 2006, maybe they couldn't. I doubt it's Whedon, given his schedule and Wonder Woman. Hmmm. Wow!
    AICN EXCLUSIVE!! Major News On X-MEN 3! It’s Gonna Be A Bumpy Ride At Fox This Week!!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...

Did you hear that sound just now? I think that was the other shoe finally dropping...

In talking to people in and around the X-MEN camp over the last month or so, it became obvious that Matthew Vaughn was really excited about making an X-MEN movie, but that he was also feeling a lot of pressure regarding this particular X-MEN movie’s production schedule. As with any film of this size, there were a lot of people exerting control over the film, and Matthew dug in for a series of important fights. He managed to convince the studio to cast Kelsey Grammer as The Beast, something that he was very proud of, and together with Zak Penn and Simon Kinsberg, he worked on the script that has evidently had the actors all excited about what they’re going to get to do. It looked like Matthew had finally reached a point where he was confident that the film could be made the right way in the time they had to make it, and he sounded ready to go. Now, nine weeks out, we’ve got word that Vaughn is off the film and on his way back to England. As soon as I heard this, I called Marvel Studios to get their reaction, and I ended up talking with Avi Arad, who confirmed that Vaughn has indeed left the film.

”This is not a case of creative differences,” Avi said. “This is a personal decision by Matthew, and I can tell you that he is heartbroken. He loved this material, and he wanted to make this film.” Vaughn has evidently already left to deal with whatever personal issue requires his attention, and Marvel and Fox are expected to make an announcement in the next few days regarding both the casting of Angel (who plays “a major role” in the film, according to Avi) and the new director, who may actually be someone who had circled the film earlier but who wasn’t available at that point.

Hey... didn’t Joss Whedon just finish SERENITY?

Excuse me. Just thinking out loud. Whoever steps in, they’re going to have to hit the ground running. Avi says that they’re still committed to starting work on the film in nine weeks in Vancouver, and they’re still planning to have the film in release on Memorial Day 2006. “We think this is better than either part 1 or 2,” Avi said. “This is the most controversial, classic X-MEN story we may ever tell, and I can’t wait until people hear the big idea that holds this all together.” At the rate these guys are moving, we’re not going to have to wait long at all. More as the story develops...

"Moriarty" out.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

ah, this is nuts. It sucks, but hoepfully if they get Joss to direct, it could be SUPERB. I think many fanboys, myself included, would salivate at the sound of him directing it.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    ah, this is nuts. It sucks, but hoepfully if they get Joss to direct, it could be SUPERB. I think many fanboys, myself included, would salivate at the sound of him directing it.
    They won't get Joss. He's far too busy. He's scripting Astonishing X-Men #13-24 + Astonishing X-Men Annual #1. Plus he's got Wonder Woman on his plate.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

What about Del Toro? Would be a different direction but interesting none the less.
    Sigh... For once in my life i have nothing to say...

I think what made Singer work so well for the first films was that he had a few movies under his belt but wasn't so tied to a specific style. I think this is key because too much of a director's "trademark style" shoehorned into an outside project can turn it into an incoherent mess, such as John Woo with MI2: Mission Unwatchable. At this junction, Marvel has to be incredibly careful who they get to pick up where it was left off because if they choose the wrong guy and they tank another Marvel movie, their cinematic reputation will be severely comprimised. (Other Marvel movies that haven't lived up in the public's mind: Blade 2, Blade 3, Punisher, Hulk, looks like Fantastic Four is going to be another, and Daredevil is right on the bubble)
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well according to AICN the field has been narrowed down to two directors and to be honest I'm not thrilled about either. Why do I get the feeling FOX has a turkey cooking?

AICN EXCLUSIVE!! Wanna Know Who’s Directing X3 Now?!

Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...

My, oh, my... now it’s getting interesting.

When we broke the word that Matthew Vaughn was leaving X3 as director, we tried our best to pry some hints out of Avi or Lauren Shuler-Donner about who might be stepping in to take over the helm. Both of them played incredibly coy, with Avi telling me that the director was someone whose name came up the first time around, but who was busy at that point. “Now that we are further down the road, obligations have changed,” Avi said, “and suddenly someone is available, which is wonderful for us.” Lauren said, “We’re trading up.” They both sounded pleased, but weren’t about to spill the beans.

Another source close to the production dropped a few more hints. “Fans are going to be... vocal... when they hear who it is,” she said. “It’s one of those names. It’s someone who studios like, who is considered an A-list director, but sort of by default.” No matter what, though, my source wouldn’t give me a name.

I mean, I had a few guesses. I was kidding when I mentioned Joss Whedon yesterday. As our TalkBackers were happy to point out, Joss has said that unless he was writing the film, he wouldn’t be interested in stepping in, and I get that. He’s had a chance to work out his X-MEN jones on the comic page, so it’s not like he’s got to do it, or he’ll never be able to tell the stories. In fact, right now, he’s got control of the X-MEN stories he wants to tell, and budget’s not an issue. Making a movie for Fox would be like a step backwards for him, because you’re playing by someone else’s rules, you’re juggling movie star schedules and desires, and you’re having to satisfy the studio and meet their impossible schedule for a set amount of money. My guesses were Francis Lawrence and Zack Snyder. Snyder was one of the names that was supposedly short-listed the first time around, and Francis Lawrence seemed to have a great relationship with Shuler-Donner on CONSTANTINE. But both guys are developing other films right now, with Lawrence allegedly prepping I AM LEGEND and Snyder working on 300 for Warner. And neither one of them seemed like they’d cause much of a stir among fandom... at least nothing on the magnitude that my source had suggested.

Talking to another source today, I mentioned that I wanted to run two names by them. “Okay. You’ve got that right... it’s down to two names.” I tried out Snyder and Lawrence and got a laugh in response. “Nope. Not even close.” They told me the two names that they heard, and suddenly all the clues made sense. I spent the rest of the day trying to get someone from Marvel to comment, while Harry worked on getting Shuler-Donner to respond. Now, understandably, they’re sort of busy right now, so it didn’t surprise me that no one got back to us.

At least, not until late tonight, when I got the two names confirmed from inside the Pico lot, from a spy I’ll call “Putch Harker,” who tells me that we’ll have an announcement very soon. So either we’ll have X3 directed by John Moore, who did solid, sturdy jobs with both BEHIND ENEMY LINES and FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, or...

... brace yourselves...

... Brett Ratner.

Now go back and read those clues that everyone gave me at the start of the piece. Makes sense, doesn’t it? What just fell apart? RUSH HOUR 3. Ratner’s definitely considered an A-list filmmaker. And he’s certainly one of ”those” names. Right now, I’d bet he’s the guy who’s going to end up in the chair by the start of the week.

Which raises the question... which X-MEN 3 is he going to make? The one that Matthew Vaughn left behind, that famous “six day script,” which is still evidently being revised by Kinberg and Penn as we speak? Or something else? With only nine weeks left to go until the film starts shooting, it would seem like they’re pretty much locked into what they’re going to be doing. It’d be nice to know what the general plot is... which characters are definitely in it, and what they’re doing... wouldn’t it?

Well, stay tuned, because as soon as Marvel confirms their choice of director, we’ll be back with a brand-new spy and your first look at the plot of X3. And Avi Arad wasn’t kidding when he called the film “controversial,” either. Three major characters that absolutely should not die, die. Really dead, too. Not Spock Dead. And one mutant who should not lose her powers, loses her powers permanently. Really loses them, too. Not SUPERMAN II loses them. And the sex scene... when you see who does what to who... oh, boy. The entire X-MEN universe may face some incredible overhauls, and it's going to be fascinating to see what fandom does when faced with this stuff. But all that's for next week. Until then...

"Moriarty" out.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

I wouldn't mind seeing Brett Ratner give it a whirl.
    He may not seem like a great choice, but neither did Brian Singer.
    Plus, it would be pretty funny since Ratner was once attached to Superman.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketboy
    I wouldn't mind seeing Brett Ratner give it a whirl.
    He may not seem like a great choice, but neither did Brian Singer.
    Speaking for myself I was actually thrilled when Singer signed on to do X-Men and unlike Ratner I actually enjoyed one of his films, that being The Usual Suspects. Nothing I've seen from Ratner would lead me to believe that he is a good choice to direct this picture.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: “Your said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now don’t take this the wrong way but I think you’ve been holding out on us.”

Joker: “I don’t keep count. I’m going to kill everyone in this room.”

John Moore? He's done next to nothing, I haven't seen either of his 2 studio films because they both looked by-the-numbers and lame.

As for Ratner, I loathed "Rush Hour", didn't sit through "Money Talks" or "Rush Hour 2", and the trailers for "Family Man" ensured I wouldn't be seeing that one either. I don't have a lot of feel for the guy, all his films I've seen have had Chris Tucker overdoing it, but Ratner seemed to have a specific style to them which I don't think would come even close to what X-men movies are supposed to be.

And with Moriarty's comments at the end of the article, this film sounds pretty bad off.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.