Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIpartnr
    Jim Carey's a stooge all right... and I'm not saying that as a compliment!
    Right.............That is why "Stooge" is capitlized in my post.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmiller
    Sonce no one has mentioned it- John Carpenter gets my vote for best composer of modern movie music

=MATT=
    aside from the ultra-creepy halloween soundtrack, nothing i'd listen to by itself. zimmer, williams, elfman and trevor jones (last of the mohicans) are all composers that the music by itself to enjoy. carpenter accompanies the movie well but really can't stand alone.

I think John Barry, and James Horner are pretty strong composers comparable to Mr. Williams.

With that said John Williams is the master in my eyes. I only listen to movie soundtracks, and John Williams always clings to me. Whether it's the somber Saving Private Ryan, to his masterful Close Encounters. I do love the SW soundtracks, and I am sure he will be remembered for themes like Jurrassic, SW, and not to forget Jaws. The truth is many music critics will never accept Williams as a mozart because sometimes he rehashes his music subtely. Some of Saving Private Ryan can be toned in Episode I. Hook is a rehash with some E.T. moods. However in my mind any Williams rehash as long as it is done by him is good to go. I will say that he needs to stay away from electric guitars in hover car chase themes. That part in Episode II still bugs me. Talk about lowering the standard!!!!!
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff
    I will say that he needs to stay away from electric guitars in hover car chase themes. That part in Episode II still bugs me. Talk about lowering the standard!!!!!
    Are you talking about Zam's speeder's sound?
    That was done by Skywalker Sound.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

On the soundtrack, there's an electric guitar riff in a few spots during "Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant." Lucas said he didn't want it in the movie, so the sound effect was substituted.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Thumbs up

John Williams has the benefit of massive audiences. He is being remembered in his own time. He makes links to the images seen in the films with his recurring motifs (Raiders theme, Yoda's theme, Superman love theme, etc.) that make the songs more memorable. He uses several instruments, including electric and synthsizer ones, and only occasionally voices. Is Harrison Ford the greatest actor of all time? He's made the most money from his films. If you use that aspect, Williams must be the top composer, from all the gross receipts.

Basically, it's tough to say. Do I like his work? Oh, yeah.
    "That's what Sheev said."