Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rolling Stone back with more silliness: The Top 500 Albums

This is sorta old news, but Rolling Stone came up with a somewhat ridiculous list of the top 500 albums of all time: http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2164.

Pretty funny stuff. Some albums are spot on, but the majority leaves me scratching my head.

I'm going to compile some thoughts on the list, and post them here later, but in the meantime, your thoughts!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Saw this poor excuse for an albums list last week....pure and utter crap...

How Sgt. Peppers beats out revolver AND the White Album for number one is beyond me...

I don't know who ranked these but what is Appetite for Destruction doing in the top 100? A Notorious Big album in the top 150? Radiohead making the list twice in the top 200? Some of these things leave me puzzled.

But I will leave you with this most confusing choice on the list:

17. Nevermind, Nirvana

Back and more bearded than ever before

Quote Originally Posted by James Boba Fettfield
    Radiohead making the list twice in the top 200? Some of these things leave me puzzled.
    I agree with you here, JBFF; Radiohead should've been in the top 50, at least the top 20.

I'm surprised they didn't rank Nirvana higher; it seems that every critic adores the overrated hype about them.

Might just be me though.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Pet Sounds shoulda been #1.

One of the biggest mind-bogglers to me is how low some true classics ranked:

43. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
    47. John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
    57. Rolling Stones: Beggar's Banquet
    62. U2: Achtung Baby
    73. AC-DC: Back in Black
    85. Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA
    89. Dusty Springfield: Dusty in Memphis
    91. Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (This one's a major "WTF?")
    115. Derek & The Dominos: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    116. Etta James: At Last
    160. T Rex: Electric Warrior
    172. Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells a Story
    228. Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
    230. Queen: A Night at the Opera (Freakin' Green Day outranked the only entry by Queen?)
    258. Grateful Dead: American Beauty
    262. Grateful Dead: Workingman's Dead
    320. Nick Drake: Pink Moon
    337. Jethro Tull: Aqualung
    343. Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell
    351. Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
    364. American Recordings: Johnny Cash
    384. Def Leppard: Pyromania
    390. The White Stripes: Elephant (Not that I think it belongs, but this is Rolling Stone! I'm surprised it wasn't #2!!)
    415. Van Halen: Van Halen
    437. George Harrison: All Things Must Pass
    473. Coldplay: A Rush of Blood to the Head
    496. Kiss: Destroyer

Right there's enough to round out the top 50, if you weed out garbage like Thriller. (Yeah, it's one of the biggest sellers, and "Billie Jean" is probably the best pop tune of all time, but the album hasn't aged well.)

Nothing by Mellencamp, nor Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend? Frank Zappa's jazz masterpiece Hot Rats should've ranked, and highly (much better than the two Zappa & the Mothers of Invention albums they included). I'd also consider Pete Yorn's musicforthemorningafter a strong top 100 contender. That's a dern good album.

Here's thoughts on the Beatle-centric higher slots from a friend of mine:
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter's buddy
    The Beatles - okay, I understand the Beatles changed rock history. That said, I have two separate complaints. First, every time they cleared their throat, it wasn't noteworthy. Then, with everything that they did put in, they deliberately slighted "Magical Mystery Tour" and I don't like it.
    Nothing against Liz Phair, but Exile in Guyville is another strong contender for "Most Overrated Album Ever."
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 12-02-2003 at 03:28 PM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

OK Computer should have been in the top 10 ...along with "London Calling" by the Clash....

What! No Barry Manilow? I'm outraged!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Seem more like a list of crap to me, the more i think about it the more it makes me want to write these fools and let them know about.

Where the hell is Bon Jovi's (Slippery When Wet) album or Pearl Jam (Ten) or Tesla (Five Man Accoustical Jam) or Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble (Couldn't Stand The Weather) or better yet any of the Hips albums. The top 100 is a joke and the rest along with it. I like Biggie, Dre, and lots of other rap music but they should not be on the list before Kiss in any way.
    So let it be written
    So let it be done
    I'm sent here by the chosen one
    So let it be written
    So let it be done
    To kill the first born pharaoh son
    I'm creeping death
    METALLICA RIDE THE LIGHTNING

Another list Rs has mucked up? Floyd, in the top 200 for years and number 43? I wouldnt use this list for T.P.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Remember, this list was not complied by Rolling Stone editors and writers but rather by musicians, executives, and people in the music biz. I don't remember how many contributed, but I believe it was in the hundreds.

We are always going to gripe about this album, or that one, but I think on the whole, RS did a good job ranking the albums. One reason Sg't Pepper's ranked #1, despite many, many people thinking that "Revolver" was a better album had to do with it's influence and how that album revolutionized music. That was one of the points that earned major consideration in the ranking. And yes, there will be omissions like Pearl Jam's Ten and a few classic Genesis albums, but I state again that RS did a good job.

One thing, there were too many "Greatest Hits" albums on the list and another thing, RS has been doing a lot of rankings lately. Perhaps to generate controversy, perhaps to sell more issues, perhaps to stoke the fires of readers like us. These rankings will always cause a ruckus.
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.