Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Frank & Son (SoCal)

Despite all the negativity I'd heard about this "scalpers' paradise," I had my first go around with the warehouse of collectibles. First, found an actual parking space in an actual parking lot within a minute. Second, I found a Sith Attack Speeder for only $10.

I missed out on the Pit o' Parking Horror!
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Cool! Didja have fun too?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Cool

Well, JT cool is the wrong term; it was el mucho hot-o. But aside from the guy who was more interested in talking about the Zahn trilogy and dualogy books and how "fans" don't understand what Attack of the Clones means than making a potential sale to me, and the seller yelling at "hey lady" to not damage his expensive Cal Ripken card by leaving the card holder open the wrong way... yes, I had fun!

Talking New place?

Where is this place in S. Cal? What's it called?

Frank and Sons Collectible Show is in the City of Industry, open Wednesdays from 4-9pm and Saturdays 10-5pm (I think). It's north of the 60 freeway off Fairway exit, in a warehouse on San Jose St. (I think). Check out their website www.fs-collectibles.com for more info, as well as JediTricks on this site (he's who helped me with info).

Thanks for the info. Are the prices reasonable, or standard marked-up comic shop deals? Any vintage stuff available?

Thumbs down

I'll put it this way... it's a paradise for scalpers hawking their wares.

Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time.

I have found fantastic deals at F&S, though most of the stuff you see goes from "slightly over retail" to "what the heck were they thinking with THAT price?!?" Think of it as a middle eastern bazaar, some folks are there to rip you off, some are there to make a living, but almost everybody is interesting.

Avoid going in the summer though, think about all those geeks (like me) crammed into one air-conditioning-free warehouse in the sweltering heat.

Glad to hear you had a good time Bel-cam, sorry a couple folks were really nutso though.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I figure that 2 wacky people out of hundreds is a good percentage, JT!

Don't say "Thanks for the heads up. I won't waste my time" just because it's a "paradise for scalpers hawking their wares." There were several decent deals there, on items I already have. But of course there were "what the heck were they thinking with THAT price?!?" sales. (I am the master of quoting today!!) Vintage, POTF2, POTJ, E1 stuff was a-plenty, plus comics (no Marvel SW, though!), cards, etc. Lots of Nascar, sports cards and signed items, other toys, Manga, wrestling (ugh), etc. etc. etc., too.

It's free too! Check it out, if you've got the time. Or don't.