Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Death of my CD player?

The other day I was kicking back listening to a CD when it skipped. I'm about as anal as you can get when it comes to keeping CD's clean and scratch free so I didn't think it could be the disc. It didn't happen again so I paid it no mind. Here I am today listening to a couple more CD's when I realize that I have a real problem. Now at roughly the same minute mark on different discs they skip. Sometimes back, sometimes a little forward.

It seems to me that something is screwed internally. My CD player is about 11 years old so there's a good chance that time and entropy have caught up with it. Any advice? Is it time to write it off and purchase a new player?

Update: Ok, it might be screwed up more than I thought. Now it seems to be skipping a several different minute marks but not consistantly. Argh!
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    The other day I was kicking back listening to a CD when it skipped. I'm about as anal as you can get when it comes to keeping CD's clean and scratch free so I didn't think it could be the disc. It didn't happen again so I paid it no mind. Here I am today listening to a couple more CD's when I realize that I have a real problem. Now at roughly the same minute mark on different discs they skip. Sometimes back, sometimes a little forward.

It seems to me that something is screwed internally. My CD player is about 11 years old so there's a good chance that time and entropy have caught up with it. Any advice? Is it time to write it off and purchase a new player?

Update: Ok, it might be screwed up more than I thought. Now it seems to be skipping a several different minute marks but not consistantly. Argh!

You'll never want to go back.

Your right, those iPods are just awesome and someday I plan on getting one. My dying/dead CD player is part of my home entertainment system so I need to replace it with something similar.

Do they even make CD players anymore or are they all DVD/CD players now?

Your right, those iPods are just awesome and someday I plan on getting one. My dying/dead CD player is part of my home entertainment system so I need to replace it with something similar.

Do they even make CD players anymore or are they all DVD/CD players now?

I'm not sure, but when I replaced my CD changer with a DVD/CD changer I found that the newer box would not play some of my homemade burned disks. Go figure.

In any case, when I get the time and a few spare bucks, I will devote an old laptop computer to the entertainment system so that REALONE will be plugged right in. Why have a CD changer when you can have a jukebox?

Man I thought I was the hip young dude with my 301 CD changer and my MP3 player in my car in which I put about 150 songs on a disk. My car MP3 player which I bought in May 2001 was about $400 made by SOrNY.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Now it seems to be skipping a several different minute marks but not consistantly. Argh!
    You could just have some loose debris (lint, dust, grease from inside the player) floating around that's causing the laser to skip on its track. A while back my little Sony mini-system (which I love but paid way too much money for because it was one of the first mini-systems that came out) was doing the same thing and I opened it up, cleaned it out and it ended up being just fine.

Right now, the DVD player on my computer is doing the same thing. I'll probably open it up and see if I can fix it just for the fun of it ... but, I'd almost rather skip it and buy a newer and better one.

You'd have to decide if it's worth the time and effort to clean it or have it serviced by someone else. Otherwise yeah, I'm sure you can find a replacement component somewhere.
    plasticfetish.net

Well nothing can kill your C.D. player faster than when you get into a fight with your girlfriend and she goes into the bedroom and smashes your player into the wall. Yep, that's when I got my current player which is actually a boom box I think they called it. It started having problems while I still had a warranty on it. I got it fixed, and the only problem I've had since was when I played an INXS C.D. in it shortly after finding out Micheal Hutchinson (sp?) had killed himself. The disc played about halfway through the first song, then just slowed down then quit. I played another disc in it a week later , and it was fine.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

That's kind of spooky. Do you think maybe the INXS CD was haunted?
    plasticfetish.net

I hate to say it, but Yes! I haven't had a single problem since that time, with the C.D. Player.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfetish
    I opened it up, cleaned it out and it ended up being just fine.
    Any advice on opening up a CD player to clean it? I'm pretty hesitant to take apart any electronics.