Thread: Movie Series

Movie Series

This thread is stealing Stillakid's idea. <sorry>

What movie series have stood up well over their run? Which ones gave out during their run and when did it happen?

Having trouble thinking of the different series over the years? Here's a list to look over. To be honest, it never occured to me that there were this many.

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/franchises.php

Let's keep the discussion to those that have a 3 movie minimum to their credit to avoid a bulk of the movie series.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

James Bond. It dies and comes back. Goldeneye.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Movies that I don't think have died:

Star Wars
    Harry Potter
    Indiana Jones
    Back to the Future
    Lord of the Rings

Series that have Tanked and how many good movies they had:
    Aliens: 2
    Jurassic Park: 1
    Matrix: 0
    Star Trek: 4
    Batman: 1
    Lethal Weapon: 2
    Jaws: 1
    James Bond: ??

Looking at the different series, it seems that 2 movies should be the limit. There is a pretty long list of 2 movies series that did pretty good. Going to the 3rd movies seems to be death for a lot of them.

Bond is definitely the Granddaddy of them all. It's the oldest, has the most films, and new films in the series are at least moderately successful at the box office...even if they have to stoop to putting Halle Berry in them.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

It seems to me that the last few James Bond movies have had only a moderate success because they are a franchise. People go out and see the movie for no other reason than that its a Bond movie, good, bad or indifferent reviews. Most movies live and die by the review but Bond seems to be one of those that is almost guaranteed some success because people have to go see the new Bond movie. What new villian will there be? Who will be the Bond girl? What new toys will he get? What will the car be like? etc...

Star Wars = Still Strong, look at the fan base it still has, and the licenses it holds
    Aliens = I think all 4 we're great. The last one was a little cheesy, but each movie has a powerful feel to it.
    Predator = First one was good. Second one was silly.
    Star Trek = All the movies have stayed strong, V sucked, but the rest held their own in box office and fan base. DS9 and Voyager were also strong. I think Enterprise has really damaged the series, it's too trendy. I think thats why less people went to see Nemesis. It's lost allot of strength. I'm still a fan though.
    Batman = The first one was fairly good, but it was no big deal, the rest were just laughably challenged. Downhill after the second one.
    Matrix = What a incredible movie. The Matrix Reloaded was fodder for sure. I hope the third one makes up for it.
    Superman = The third one took the series down. The fourth targeted kids only I think, what a mess!
    Indiana Jones = Still stong in my book, as long as Grandpa Indie film is reality based!
    Back to the Future = 2 was the worst of em, but it was still good. 3 was just as good as the first if you ask me!
    Harry Potter = First one was great, chamber of secrets was no big deal. However if they make the next one Prisoner of Azkaban it should be great.
    Rambo - Watch the first one ignore the rest
    Die Hard - First and Second one are great, why did they make that crappy third one.
    Nightmare on Elm Street = 1 and 3 were great, the rest are trash. Welcome to prime time B$#%*!
    Friday the 13th = Was any of these ever good
    Halloween = The first two were fair, the rest didn't compare!
    Jurassic Park = All of them = nice dinosaurs + nice concept - bad plot
    Jaws = I love the first and second movies, but I can't stand the rest!
    Rocky = 3 was enough. Although the fourth one was good, it was repetition. The fifth was just too much.
    Bond = I'm a bond fan so I am impartial. To me they are still stong, and I can't wait for the next one.
    Lord of the rings = The best is yet to come!
    Police Acadamy = 1 - 3 was funny. The rest we're really stinky like Ren's rotten teeth!
    Godfather - Wow. It started great, it ended great, and the middle was the best!
    After 11 months The BEST/WORST figure poll is still going strong.

You beat me to it Jaff-

the Godfather series is one of the best. In my book it goes-

Godfather,
    Indiana Jones,
    Star Wars
    and now Lord of the Rings.

LOTR may end up being the best series ever. I'll hold judgement until I see ROTK, but my gut feeling is "Yes".

Most all Horror movies have their stinkers. But I'll throw one vote in for the Evil Dead series (including AOD).

I'm also a big Matrix fan, and will hold out for the 3rd one before I rank the series with the above movies. I thikn it will enhance and link to Reloaded quite well.

Also- one last vote for something that is not a true series. Kevin Smiths Askewniverse

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.