Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Han, can you reach my lightsaber?"

While bundled up in the Ewok net, why did Luke ask Han to grab his lightsaber?
    Why not use The Force to pull it to himself?
    Were Luke's hands so tightly bound that he couldn't open his fist?

He probably didn't think that it was necessary to use the force. Luke would probably try to resolve all situations without it, and use his power as a last resort.

Ok, I know I'm probably talking a load of bull... but I can't think of any other reason !

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar
    While bundled up in the Ewok net, why did Luke ask Han to grab his lightsaber?
    Why not use The Force to pull it to himself?
    Were Luke's hands so tightly bound that he couldn't open his fist?
    Who knows, but isn't a better question, what was he going to do with it if he got it? I'll have to watch it again to be sure, but I don't think he could have ignited the thing and then swung it around without compromising someone's vital organs.

I doubt it Stillakid, they were tightly wrapped together in the net. Maybe he was going to cut 3PO to pieces. There was noway he could of ignited it. He would of been better off using his powers.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Perhaps he didn't have a specific idea in mind when asking for the saber. Maybe he knew that if they got the saber and they all calmed down, letting the net stop spinning, he could do something with it. Just my thoughts.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Who knows, but isn't a better question, what was he going to do with it if he got it? I'll have to watch it again to be sure, but I don't think he could have ignited the thing and then swung it around without compromising someone's vital organs.
    Perhaps due to the tight quarters and that he didn't know exactly where everyone's body parts where he didn't want to risk using the Force to use the lightsaber. Ideally he would have someone who could see a bit more of the situtation use it to cut a few of the net ropes.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Perhaps due to the tight quarters and that he didn't know exactly where everyone's body parts where he didn't want to risk using the Force to use the lightsaber. Ideally he would have someone who could see a bit more of the situtation use it to cut a few of the net ropes.

LUKE: Thanks, Han. Now hand it to Threepio.

A collective look of "Huh?" crosses over the faces of Solo, Chewy, and (somehow even) R2.

The spinning whirr of R2's cutting tool gets louder as the little droid struggles to finish before they are all doomed.

Perhaps he was hoping that C3PO would do himself in with the blade and put them all out of his misery.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

R2 cut them down by only sawing through one section of the net, perhaps Han could have simply aimed the lightsaber outwards towards the netting and then turned it on.

As to the original question, it doesn't seem like Luke can move things with the Force in any way other than in a straight line, and his saber and hands weren't lined up at the time IIRC.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I actually considered that, JT, and what little evidence we have does seem to support it. And then it kinda doesn't as well . . .
    In ESB he pulls a lightsaber straight into his hand. In ROTJ he pulls a blaster straight into his hand. Later in ROTJ, he lifts Threepio into the air. But then he moves him all around . . . during which time Luke's eyes are closed (much like Yoda and the X-Wing in ESB ).

So I'm thinking that if we combined those two ideas we can assume that he only needs to see what he's going to move before he does it.

Personally I still think he should be better than that. He knows where that weapon is right by his side so it shouldn't be that hard to move it from that position. Sorta like Yoda in AOTC.