Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

State license plates

I think I read something about a change in license plate technology a month or so ago but I saw my first "changed" plate today. At least in the state of Ohio, new plates are no longer metal but a plastic sheet with the numbers/letters printed on. Now rather than purchasing pre-stamped plates you go the othe DMV/BMV and they use a special printer to print the numbers/letters on the blank plate.

As always, I fear change and this is no exception. The new plates look goofy. The numbers are no longer raised from the surface but just written on a flat sheet. I like seeing a stamped plate rather than this cheap looking thing. I would hope that for special plates, like Collector and Historic plates you could still get a metal plate. They are good for life once you register the vehicle and I would rather have a nice metal plate on an old vehicle than a piece of plastic.

Any other states going to this type of plate? What are your thoughts on it?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Haven't heard of this, but it sounds dumb - very easy to copy, easier to reflect light and make it harder to read, and easier to break.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And I thought Kentucky was silly for having that license plate of that stupid cartoon sun rising.

I heard about these things about a month and a half ago when my dad was talking about it on a trip to Athens, OH. I don't understand the purpose, they don't sound very durable. Maybe they'll allow for more characters on a license plate or something....maybe not, who knows. I haven't seen any in person yet, but I'm sure they won't make me change my opinion.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Here's a little blurb about this from the Ohio BMV website. They have a picture of the new flat plates.

http://www.state.oh.us/odps/division...tml#Flat_Plate

What are the convicts going to make now?

It looks ok from the picture, but I think in person it might be a little different. I don't know, I'll keep my eyes open for these things here at Ohio State's campus, maybe I'll spot one.

I also live in Ohio. This will be interesting to see.
    Come vote in my Best Figure thread this Preview Month.

Looks kinda dopey. If it's only for specialty plates, it makes a little more sense, but I still think it's going to be way too easy to make phoney plates now.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I can't believe that I missed the paragraph stating that this system is only for the specialty plates (ie those with an image on them). I guess my plans of someday purchasing an OSU plate for my car will now be dropped. I'll be sticking to the plain-Jane plates to avoid the flat plates.

That apple tree branch on that plate looks like something else. Hint:minus the apples.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

It's not an apple tree. Buckeye, scruff. Though the Ohio State Apples does sound good.