Thread: Sommersby

Sommersby

I'm curious if any of you guys have seen this post-Civil War movie about a web for forbidden love, deceit, and lies.

It's a very good movie and takes you for a ride the first time you see it.

Richard Gere, Jodi Foster, Bill Pullman.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Tycho- seriously, you are killing with me with those random movies.

Sommersby has to be one of the worst movies i have ever seen in a long long long time. Hated it with a passion and applauded the ending.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Tycho, maybe I should set aside a part of the forum as your Civil War movie discussions.

As for the movie, the story reminded me of something I'd see on a soap opera.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

LOL, yeah I have seen it. Not one of the best, but it's OK.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Well, I was going to move into more Western movies. Actually had a request for a Wyatt Earp / Tombstone thread and will gladly start one. I just don't want to dominate this forum with old movie threads, so I figure I'll delay starting it for just a little while. (Young Guns movies rock, too!)

Anyway, I liked James Earl Jones as the Judge in Sommersby, also. Forgot to mention that.

Why don't you like this movie, JM Guyute?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Eh, there were a plethora of things i hated about the movie. For one, the movie seemed to drag on for me. I also HATED those accents used in the movie, they seemed beyond fake and phony. I also found myself not really giving a damn about anyone of the characters. I was hella happy when Richard Gere got strung up and lynched at the end cos it meant the credits weren't too far off. It just never really didn't anything for me, this flick. In the words of "Men on Film:" Hated it!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I haven't seen it, but I tracked down a used copy of the soundtrack for a reasonable price a few months ago. (It's out of print and rather tough to find.) It's got to be one of Elfman's best scores, bar none.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yes, I just watched this again and loved the music. I never found their accents fake, btw.

Finally, Jack Sommersby wasn't lynched. He (or Horace Townsend posing as Jack) was tried and convicted and sentenced to death by hanging.

But man, I'd have died for a chance to "play house" with Jodi Foster back in those days, too.

* timidly steps forward *

Ahem, I'll admit to liking Somersby...a lot. Oh jeezus, what's wrong with me? I let it slip in a conversation with a co-worker how much I liked the movie and every cube around me just went silent, then a wave of laughter. I was honestly quite confused by the reaction. I had no idea people hated Somersby so much, and ended up opening up the biggest can of worms with "Somersby? Oh yeah, that movie was really cool." That was like, a year ago, and I still get razzed about it to this day. I'll even get the occasional "Cuz I never loved him the way that I love you!" as someone walks by.

I'll admit, you have to kinda give yourself over to a movie like Somersby, much in the same way you have to be dedicated to a soap opera. I'm curious, ror all the Somersby haters out there, what exactly is so terrible about it? Do you hate the cheesy, romantic genre of Somersby, or is it just the movie itself?

I know you asked for comments from the "Sommersby haters" but I might point out that I don't look at it like a cheesy romance movie at all: Horace Townsend pulled off one of the greatest cons of any movie ever.

He burried Jack Sommersby, then took his wife, had another child with her, caused the rebirth of a whole town in Tennessee, literally started the whole tobacco revolution that recreated a lot of the south after cotton no longer remained the cash-crop it once was (until the causes of lung cancer were discovered), and died for the rights for the once-poor, and former slaves to own land. Plus the film included a look into the northern efforts to integrate the South with black judges holding court (James Earl Jones' role as Judge Isaacs - hehe - he always sounds like Darth Vader to me. They could have used the line "I find your lack of faith disturbing" or something. That would have been funny).

Anyway, I'll step aside for the Sommersby haters now.