Thread: Tacky figures

Hybrid View

Tacky figures

No not the cape on the vintage leia bespin tacky, but actually tacky to the touch.

I noticed a couple of my figs from the droids line are getting tacky...anyone have a remedy?

Also, not a vintage issue...but I noticed one of my MOC stormtroopers from 1996 actally appears yellow...is the plastic beginning to breakdown on the new figs in anyone elses case? I guess even my "new" stuff is getting more vintage every day.

This is a problem I fear above all others. As far as I know there is no cure, no way to stop or reverse this once it starts. The best you can do is slow it down. My advice would be to put your Leia, as well as any other figure that feels sticky or tacky, in a zip lock bag and put them in your freezer. Why? Because (I believe that) its a chemical breakdown and chemical reactions happen slower when the system is cooler.

I don't have any Droids or Ewoks figures, but I have noticed that the POTF figures seem to be more prone to frosting and becoming tacky more then my other vintage figures. It might be the plastic used in '84 and '85.

This problem not only affects us as Star Wars collectors, but also other toy lines. Vintage Barbie collectors have been dealing wit it for years (Barbie has two other condition that efface her, weeping and ear infection). So you might go find a site about Barbie and see how they are handing it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane