Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Dawn of the Dead (2004) - Trailer

The trailer for the remake of the classic zombie flick has just been released on the Apple site. I swore we had a thread for this, but I guess not. Well, if you've seen the original it's basically just a revisioning of the 1978 classic. The story and the effects have been updated for the New Millenium. While it's worrying quite a few classic 'DotD' fans, it looks pretty cool to me. Love the shot of 'Sheriff Tom Savini' in the trailer. Here's a couple plot outlines, and the link to the trailer on the site. It will be in theaters, March 26th.
    As the United States is turned upside-down by a strange plague-like event in which millions of corpses walk the earth as blood-thirsty zombies (with the recently-deceased that the zombies kill usually returning as zombies themselves, multiplying their number), a small group of survivors of the onslaught, which include a nurse and a police officer try to find shelter and protection within a massive shopping mall in the mid-sized city of Everett, WA. What they don't reckon on is that the zombies still have some sort of residual memory, and *everyone* loves going to the mall, right? Realizing that their time is running out, they decide to make another attempt at flight, to a presumably un-zombie-infested island, but to do so, they'll have to get past thousands of zombies in-between...
    A young female nurse named Anna is caught in the middle of the chaos as zombies begin taking over the world and attacking the living. She escapes into the streets and is rescued by a black police officer named Kenneth. Together they find shelter in a mall along with a group of other survivors. For a while everything is ok, but pretty soon they start running out of food, the power goes out, and the dead keep finding ways to break through their defenses. Realizing they're sitting ducks, they make a plan to head for an island by using two armored mall shuttle busses to get across the sea of zombies.
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/dawnofthedead/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Thumbs down Ugh!

I can't describe my disgust. JJB, you know how you feel about the Twisted Land of Oz, that's how my feelings are towards this. But then I also want to see it succeed, because then perhaps studios will be more than willing to let George Romero make his final Dead film, which will be 100 times better than anything done by Mr. Scooby Doo.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

(mike promptly vomits, wipes his mouth and says, "eh!")

Yeah, this can't be Dawn of the Dead. See, Dawn of the Dead was a good zombie movie that had characters we liked and cared about. It also had some social commentary about people and consumerism. This is just another goofy, pointless action flick. Damn you James Gunn for ruining my favorite horror movie.

EDIT:
    Ok, i've had time to watch it a few more times and kind of digest what i'm seeing and honestly, while i think it'll totally suck in comparison to the original classic DOTD, it will make for a good zombie flick. I know JBFF and other fellow Deadheads are going to hate me for it, but i really think if it were called something else there wouldn't be nearly as much hatred for it. In order for me to enjoy this flick, i'm going to just imagine that it's just another branch off in the Dead Saga, something happening during the events of the original Living Dead Films. I have the slightest bit of hope for this flick now. Sorry, JBFF, i'm still a Romero purist!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

When I saw the trailer again today before TCM, I thought this film was looking an awful lot like 28 Days Later. What with their fast moving and whatnot. Maybe I was just seeing things, but that's what it looked like. And JMG, that's what a lot of horror fans are upset for. It's like they're creating a totally different movie and just using the title to get fans of the original to lay some money down to see it.

The one thing I have a problem with regarding this one, and let's be honest - the trailer doesn't really show much of anything, is the fast zombies. Don't get me wrong, fast zombies are cool, and very scary just...in a different way than the more traditional, slow and shambling zombies. The thing is...EVERY zombie movie that's come out in the past several years just about has has fast zombies. The novelty has worn off, and I for one think that the slow and relentless types of undead are much creepier and a bit scarier in a different and somewhat better way.
    What I'd honestly like to see is a bit of a mixture of both types. Some of the "fresher", less damaged ones could be quite fast. Some of the older, crustier and more damaged zombies could be of the slower, creepier variety. I have a feeling that that would make for a much better mix of action and suspense, and could prove to be much more interesting.

I couldn't find an actual thread about the flick, as i'm not sure if we even had one? but, this seems like this is as good as place as any to post this.

the poster for DOTD has been released. Frankly, i love it. alot.
    Sorry JBFF, i'm regaining faith on this project. Hell, maybe Romero even has faith in it since he's granted them use of his title...at least, i think he is. anyway,

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/ind...plate=newsfull

or just check the attatchment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dotd.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	7307  
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
    Sorry JBFF, i'm regaining faith on this project. Hell, maybe Romero even has faith in it since he's granted them use of his title...at least, i think he is. anyway,
    Poster is fine. It does not make me feel any different about the project, though. I want it to do well for the reason that it could bring about some future zombie movies. Then again, it can also further convince the people of Hollywood that remakes are the new thing people want to see, after the success past remakes have had.

I'll go see the film, and then I'll let you know for sure how I feel about it. There won't be any bias, though. I went into House of 1000 Corpses expecting it to be terrible, and came away enjoying it. Maybe the same will happen in this case, who knows.

I think i'll just tell myself it's not called "Dawn of the Dead" when i go see it and discuss it later on. I think i'll dub it, "Zombie flick of 2004" just so i don't have any bias when i view the film. I think with that in mind, i'll enjoy the movie a lot more than i would going into it thinking it's a remake. I mean, it has the same title as the classic, but i can't think of it as a remake as the characters are all wacky and stuff. It does irk me that Gunn is trying to capitalize on Romero's films, but like you said, this one does well, we get more zombie flicks. Maybe even the one i'm writing right now will grace the big screen someday...(sighs)

I just think it's cool that this movie takes place in my neck of the woods. Wonder what mall was used to mimic the real Everett Mall? For those of you that care, Everett is basically a lower to middle class navy town. I wonder how it will be portrayed in the film.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...ofthedead.html

Official trailer is up @yahoo movies. Once again, i remain torn about this flick. I liked the trailer muy muy much though, i'll leave it at that. cheerio!