Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

How often does Lego release new sets?

I'm not an avid Lego collector, but I picked up a few sets this year, namely the Imperial Shuttle and Chewie's AT-ST.
    It was a loooooooong time ago I believe . . .

So how often do they roll these out? I've not heard of any new ones lately.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Do you have access to the internet? You COULD go to LEGO.com and they MIGHT have a release calendar.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Nope, no Lego release calendar. Usually, Lego releases new sets in most lines every Winter and ever Summer, sometimes with a set here or there in Spring. However, due to their barrage of Jack Stone, Bob the Builder, and Bionicle stuff this Summer, they've put off new Star Wars stuff till... probably next Winter, though it may wait till Spring 2002 for Ep 2.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Thanks JediTricks.

Eternal Padawan, I have no need for a release calendar. I'd rather ask collectors since they have the most reliable info.

I've seen dinosaur sets in a local retail and I suppose its related to Jurasic Park III? That's the latest series that Lego had rolled out I assume.

ooh. My post sounded kind of snotty didn't it? That was unintentional. Sorry. I am thinking about starting to buy these but would also like to know what the older sets are, so if I see one that might not be on the shelves anymore I can grab it. Anyone have a list of the older sets?

Caesar, you're quite welcome.

humsup, I forgot about the Dinos, I have 2 of 'em, they're only OK as far as dinosaurs go, but they make great replacements for SW beasts (Ronto and Dewback are what I've come up with, the Dewback even holds a Stormtrooper on it's back!). The Dino wave is a sort-of offshoot of the JP3 sets, but not directly related. There are only 2 JP3 sets anyway, both are part of the Lego Studios line.

EP, here's a list of the "retired" sets:
    • Landspeeder
    • Snowspeeder
    • Speeder Bikes
    • Vader's TIE Fighter and Y-wing
    • Mos Espa Podrace
    • Gungan Sub
    • Sith Infiltrator
    • Naboo Swamp
    • Lightsaber Duel
    • Droid Fighter
    • Anakin's Podracer
    • Droid Developer Kit (mindstorms)
    The X-wing and Naboo Fighter will continue production, but these others are no longer being produced.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    ooh. My post sounded kind of snotty didn't it?
    Actually, yeah it did - I was backpeddling! Not because you suggested that I check the Lego website, but because you asked if I have internet access. No apologies necessary!

Regarding the thought of starting up a collection of these, I say go for it! The reason I waited so long was because I did not want to spend the cash in addition to my already over budget spending habit. But I eventually started small, with things like the Skiff and Speeder Bikes and moved up to some clearance sets (Vader's Tie vs. Y-Wing for $13 !) and then this year I spent retail on the shuttle. Still, I only have just under a dozen sets.

They are really fun !

I bought the Sith Infiltrator on clearance, also. My girlfriend had NEVER gotten LEGO sets when she was a kid (poor thing) so she insisted on putting it together and had a blast doing it. Now I'm thinking of getting others and/or finding my old LEGO space sets for her to play with. She's 22, but what the hey, you're never too old for LEGOs or Star Wars!

Thanks for the list JT. I actually saw a Slave 1/Landspeeder combo pack the other day, so are they making landspeeders again?. Might more combo packs be on the way? And is Mos Espa Podrace the same a Watto's Junkyard or are there TWO podracing playsets??

Originally posted by JediTricks
    ...here's a list of the "retired" sets:
    • Landspeeder
    • Snowspeeder
    • Speeder Bikes
    • Vader's TIE Fighter and Y-wing
    • Mos Espa Podrace
    • Gungan Sub
    • Sith Infiltrator
    • Naboo Swamp
    • Lightsaber Duel
    • Droid Fighter
    • Anakin's Podracer
    • Droid Developer Kit (mindstorms)
    The X-wing and Naboo Fighter will continue production, but these others are no longer being produced.
    Are you sure about the DV TIE/YW, JT? My local TRU has been restocking their shelves with these at the regular price.

EP, the Mos Espa Podrace and Watto's junkyard are two different sets. MEP is one of the OG sets with three different pod racers and some other crap. Watto's craphole has enough to make some podracers, but they are different. There's also a bucket o'podracers that still may be available. The container is black and looks like a giant lego piece.