Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up The Muppets - Wizard of Oz!!

This seems to have slipped under the radar, but the next Muppet Movie is gearing up for filming. And it's going to be a Muppet adaption of 'The Wizard of Oz'. This is a cool idea, as the Muppet adaptions of classic stories always turn out pretty well. And it's a good choice, as 'WoZ' was the first movie the late Jim Henson ever saw.

'Muppet Treasure Island' and 'Muppet Christmas Carol' were pretty faitful adaptions of the original stories. So Oz should be good. No word on what famous actors will make appearances as of yet. Hopefully some more info will come out soon. Atleast this is a better idea then the abomination, 'Twisted Land of Oz'.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I've loved all the Muppet movies so far and I don't expect this one to be a dissappointment either. I'll be making the trip to the local cineplex to watch a Muppet Oz movie for sure.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Question

JJB - any reference for that info? This is nothing more than a rumour (and a 10-month old rumour at that). At any rate, they certainly aren't "gearing up for filming" this. WoO being the first movie Henson saw is the grain of truth that likely started this rumour.

Anybody else here collecting the awesome Palisades Muppets figures?
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks
    This seems to have slipped under the radar, but the next Muppet Movie is gearing up for filming. And it's going to be a Muppet adaption of 'The Wizard of Oz'. This is a cool idea, as the Muppet adaptions of classic stories always turn out pretty well. And it's a good choice, as 'WoZ' was the first movie the late Jim Henson ever saw.

'Muppet Treasure Island' and 'Muppet Christmas Carol' were pretty faitful adaptions of the original stories. So Oz should be good. No word on what famous actors will make appearances as of yet. Hopefully some more info will come out soon. Atleast this is a better idea then the abomination, 'Twisted Land of Oz'.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Hmmm...A Muppet Movie or a Twisted Land Of Oz Movie??.....Definetely TWISTED!!

Personally, I never really enjoyed the Muppets on the big screen. Like David Caruso, they were just one of those TV entities that couldn't make a successful jump. (In the same way, this is why any attempt that Star Wars made to be on television sucked, whether it be the Holiday Special or ironically on the bad episode of the Muppet Show.) Muppets are good in quick small doses. 90 minutes of narrative song and dance is too much for me. While the idea of the Muppets going down the yellow brick road is intriguing, I fear that the execution would be disappointing in the end.

I think I'd rather see Tim Burton do a Twisted Land of Oz version instead.

Quote Originally Posted by EricRG
    JJB - any reference for that info? This is nothing more than a rumour (and a 10-month old rumour at that). At any rate, they certainly aren't "gearing up for filming" this. WoO being the first movie Henson saw is the grain of truth that likely started this rumour.

Anybody else here collecting the awesome Palisades Muppets figures?
    I have some of the large sets like Animals drums, the Swedish chef's kitchen, and Beaker in the lab. I also have a few of the figures. Most of my figure budget is reserved for the Star Wars collectibles though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a muppets version of WoO!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by [DSS]Pedr0
    Hmmm...A Muppet Movie or a Twisted Land Of Oz Movie??.....Definetely TWISTED!!
    How about at Twisted Muppet Oz movie?

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

Finally an update on this production. Even if it is from AICN. Take it with a grain of salt. But I like who might get the Dorthy role. Yay Natalie.
    The MUPPET WIZARD OF OZ.... casting! Well, the Muppet parts anyways!

Hey folks, Harry here with those fabulous guys from the MUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEETTTTTTSSSSS!!!!! That's right, we're talking about their next flick... albeit it's heading straight to tv because, well they don't want to put the marketing money necessary to launch this as a feature.... or the extra cash to make it magic on the big screen. Seems nobody believes in the power of the Muppets these days. I tell ya, do "NIGHT OF THE LIVING MUPPETS" and have Kermit and the gang holed up in an old farm house as old puppets from yesteryear come to try and eat their stuffing! You could have Charlie McCarthy and Mortimer Snerd and Lambchops and Beany and Cecil and all sorts of vaudeville era puppets and marionettes... Kermit ends up the last one alive, he hears shots outside, he sticks his head up to see CG versions of all the muppets with guns clearing off the old puppets, they take aim... blowing a hole through Kermits head, taking the middle two fingers off of the hand inside... last shot is of the Kermit puppet being thrown on the fire. Wouldn't be a dry eye in the place. Hehehehehehe....

"This is a Muppet News Flash! Muppet Newsman here, back with more details on the upcoming ABC (yes that's ABC, not NBC) made for TV movie- "The Muppet Wizard of Oz". Since I first broke this story a few months back, there's been question as to what Muppets would be playing which roles in this reinterpretation of the classic story. Well wait no longer:

Kermit the Frog will be the Scarecrow

Fozzie Bear will be the Cowardly Lion

The Great Gonzo will be the Tin Man

Miss Piggy will be pulling double duty as both the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch

In a really cool bit of casting, Pepe the Prawn will take on the role of Dorothy's dog Toto.

And the role of Dorothy will played by a yet to be cast human guest star.

One of the issues that comes up often with Muppet productions, is how well the human guests will interact with the characters. Apparently, it's very important that the humans play it straight, and not make light of their role, or the characters. Michael Caine and Tim Curry are shining examples of this principle at work, while Kermit's Swamp Years shows what can happen when it's not. Anyway, rumor has it that "The Muppet People" (impressed with her guest spot with Elmo on Sesame Street where she donned an elephant costume) may be eyeing Natalie Portman for the lead role."

Mr Amphibian B. Frog
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 12-29-2003 at 02:06 AM.

Re: The Muppets - Wizard of Oz!!

And finally we have some pictures from this long under wraps production. Have to say it looks pretty good so far, hope the magic of the muppets can continue to shine in this upcoming film. No release date yet, as far as I know.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarecrow Kermit.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	9866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cowardly Fozzie.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	9867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tin Weirdo Gonzo.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	9868   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Cast.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	9869  

Re: The Muppets - Wizard of Oz!!

Like Harry of AICN, I think the only one that works for me is Gonzo as the Tin Woodman, the others just don't look right to me. And Ashanti seems like a TV, Disney-channel, type of actress, not up to the big screen talent they usually get for Muppet live-actor leads.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.