Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hasbro Files Suit against Maker of Highly Offensive Ghettopoly Game

PAWTUCKET, R.I., Oct 21, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) today filed suit in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island against David Chang of Saint Mary's, PA, manufacturer of the highly offensive "Ghettopoly" game.

"Hasbro will not tolerate Mr. Chang's unlawful use of its intellectual property to sell the reprehensible 'Ghettopoly' game," said Frank Bifulco, President of Hasbro's U.S. Games. "Mr. Chang has chosen to ignore our cease and desist demands, and therefore, we are taking the necessary legal action."

In the complaint Hasbro stated that Chang violated Hasbro's trademark rights and copyrights to the MONOPOLY game, which has been a Parker Brothers game since 1935. The complaint also cites unlawful acts which "have caused and continue to cause irreparable injury to the value and goodwill of the MONOPOLY(R) real estate trading game trademarks, as well as to Hasbro's business, goodwill and reputation."

Hasbro is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

SOURCE: Hasbro, Inc.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Glad to hear that Hasbro's going to lay the smackdown on the company making this offensive game. If you haven't seen it, it basically uses every black stereotype in the book. Not to mention ever other ethnic stereotype they could shove into the game. Good for Hasbro, go kick some arse in court. I wouldn't normally post a link, but I will in this case. I have to laugh at his 'Message to the Haters' on his website. Sounds like he's just trying to cover his own arse. Especially how he turns it into an attack against his race.
    I am sorry that my last name is of Asian decent, maybe if my last name was different, some of you might not be so harsh.
    http://www.ghettopoly.com/
    http://www.ghettopoly.com/message.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Bwaahahahahahaaaa!!

Call me what you will, but I think it looks kind of fun.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Looks like an interesting game.Sterotypical of course but most things in this world are.

Should we also ban every single comedian who cracks jokes about Asians? Is Jay Leno a racist because he made a comment about Asian people eating dogs? How about Snoop Dog, on his TV show on MTV, is he a racist too? What do you think when Rappers rap about "Chinky eyes" or "eyes slanted like", should they be called racist also. Or how about the broken English Asians who are portrayed in Black Movies, are the people who laugh, all racist?
    Why does he suddenly go from African-American sterotypes to Asian sterotypes?Its about the game,not the race of the creator.
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

My brother thought it was funny but i didnt think it was. Perhaps if the creator had released an Asian version first (we could call it Bootlegopoly because Asians seem to be notorious for bootlegging cds and dvds) and then went about releasing his other crap there wouldnt be quite as big an outrage. But maybe it came from his being Asian and making fun of certain aspects of African American society. It seems to me that those two races are wary of each other. I could be wrong but thats just the impression i get.
    Good Traders/Sellers: Cameo, Darth Cruel, Sith Killer 99, JJReason, icatch9, ChasingJediDogma, AT-AT Man, JediMasterGuyute, Brainiak76, JangoFett96, njscollectibles, Vulcantouch, AC Pin, TheDarthVader, msjedi, DarthQuack, Roojay

I don't know, my son says he wants to buy one. I just brought him up from a bad neighborhood, not quite the ghetto, but lots of gangs.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I love to be politically incorrect sometimes... here's how to play:

Go Directly to Jail: Do not drive a white Ford Bronco, just get your zrse in jail Mo-Fo. That's 3 strikes! But you can collect 100 cigarettes.

Community Chest: Get Affirmative Action: Go directly to college. Do not pass the SAT, just collect a scholarship, G.

Chance: Drive-by shooting. Give up your pitbulls, and lose 30% of your ammunition. But you no longer have to pay child support due to civilian casualties.

Add real estate by acquiring spray paint and marking your territory. When you get all 3 corners matching the same color, add crack houses to increase the value of your property.

You can take out a loan to properly outfit your ho's, and if you want to pimp it, build brothels next to your crack houses. If your opponent lands in your hood, you can trade profits from 3 brothels to invest into 1 crack house.

Community Chest: To avoid an audit, transform your crack houses into legitimate businesses for the benefit of your community: add pawn shops, gun stores, and liquor marts. Charge exorbinant prices.

Chance Card: Find the winning lottery number in the serial label of your malt liquor. Move out of that neighborhood. Buy a gas station. Add employees who can't speak English.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

He should counter sue hasbro for being sexist and mysoginistic. Dictating what toys boys and girls should play with. Just as ridiculous but that's the way it goes with lawsuits.

Personally I find the whole game of monopoly offensive. Capitalism isn't a suitable subject for a game. It's time some of these old games were retired anyway. Hasbro's conservative 1950's attitudes don't really serve todays society.

Hasbro didn't invent Monopoly, they weren't even in business back then IIRC, they simply bought the company that bought the game from the original inventor.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Are they selling it in the UK? I love a copy. I am a real monopoly freak and have loads of different (SW) versions.

jeddah
    eVerlasTing