Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What you you think about Special Edition DVDís?

I was debating this with a friend of mine the other day- What do you think about Special Edition DVDís. Iím talking about real ďSpecial EditionsĒ that have extra footage different from the theatrical release incorporated in them. I guess this would include ďDirectors CutsĒ and ďExtended EditionsĒ as well, but not ones labeled Special Edition that just have some extras added to the disk and not into the movie itself.

I can understand some people not liking them, as they take away from the original feel of the movie, and what they liked about them the first time. But I myself really like them. I look forward to seeing what all is changed and different than the original cut. It also is like getting a new movie that I havenít seen before, instead of just watching the same movie as before. Sometimes I donít agree with some of the additions and/or changes, but normally that doesnít change how I feel about the film. Actually, it very rarely makes a movie worse and mostly make the movie that much better. The LOTR FOTR Extended Edition is a prime example of this. Not only do the additions make FOTR better, but they make The Two Towers better as well. I canít imagine seeing TTT without seeing the gift-giving scene from the extend version of FOTR.

But one thing about DVDís and DVD technology. Why can they not include both versions on the same DVD? Few movies do this (The Stargate SE, Lion King and Beauty of the Beast SEís) and it seems like anyone who is going to release a SE version could as well. Maybe Iím confused about the technology involved, but to me the only reason a company would not release a SE disk with the option of watching it in itís original form is to try and make a few more bucks getting you to buy both versions. But if thatís the case, why release the SE after the original version? And if you do, then why not still include the option to watch the original version?

Just a few thoughts and rants- Whatís your take?

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

If GL is going to close the book on the OT once and for all with tinkering with it.
    GIVE US EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All versions, all outtakes, deleted scenes, featurettes, promotions, makings of, picture stills. Granted it might be a $200-$300 20 disk set but I would buy it in a heartbeat. And I speak for a great deal many of the fans out there. If GL wants to cash in big here is his chance.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    If GL is going to close the book on the OT once and for all with tinkering with it.
    GIVE US EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All versions, all outtakes, deleted scenes, featurettes, promotions, makings of, picture stills. Granted it might be a $200-$300 20 disk set but I would buy it in a heartbeat. And I speak for a great deal many of the fans out there. If GL wants to cash in big here is his chance.
    I'd have to agree with Scruffziller there, even though he is Jedi Ambassador scum. I'd rather get a complete set with both versions, outtakes, the making of, commercials, trailers, behind the scenes. Just quit pulling us around, and making all these different versions with added THX sound, then the Special Edition. I'm tired of it.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I was really talking about Special Editions in general, not specifically the Star Wars Special editions. But when they do the OT, why not include both version as well?

=MATT=

1) Special Editions are a mixed bag. The extended cut of Terminator 2, for instance, is excellent. Far better than the original. But just look at The Lion King for an example of a useless SE. The song is bad, the animation is subpar, and overall, it just doesn't fit in the movie.

2) I hate any kind of expanded re-release. Well, not any kind. There are a few movies that were slighted the first time around, like Monty Python & the Holy Grail. But for every one example like that, there are fifteen American Pies. (I think there are either six or eight versions of that one! )

3) Lucas has said the originals "don't exist," or that he considers them to be early works in progress. Whether he'll ever change his mind is anyone's guess.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I have both the Original Cut and the Special Edition Cut on Laserdisc. And to be honest, I don't even watch the original cuts anymore. I prefer the special editions, in most respects. All Lucas needs to do is re-tweak the 'Greedo' scene and the 'Jabba' scene in ANH, and I'm cool with it. With the state of CGI now, I'm sure they can make Jabba look 100 times better. So as long as Lucas is happy with what he puts out, I don't care if it's his finalized SE DVD's.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree if Lucas gets rid of Greedo shooting first, and fixes up Jabba a little I will be happy with the Special Editions.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

Mr. Miller and I have the same beef. Why can't special editions/extended versions contain options for to play either one or the other on the same disc? I'm sure PJ could have done it on FotR.

I cite as my example the original X-Men special edition DVD. They have the option where you can either watch the movie as was originally released or with the deleted scenes added in. It's fairly flawless. I don't recall if it is the same format with the Stargate disc but I imagine they don't put two completely different films on one disc, just an option to insert (or delete, depending on how you look at it) the extra footage.

I love the EE of FotR, but sometimes I want to just watch the theatrical version due to time constraints. Is it so hard to provide both on the same disc?
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Depends on the amount of changes done to a movie, whether it's feasible or not to put both on the same disc. With Star Wars, it would likely be impossible. Just due to the number of minor changes throughout the entire films. Plus Lucas considers the original versions to be unfinished works in progress. So will likely not release them that way. He's been saying that since the S.E.'s came out. And stated it again not that long ago. As an artist, it's his right.

Note that the more things you cram on the disc, means that sacrifices need to be made. Such as encoding the video at a lower bitrate to squeeze things on. When you do that, you start getting video compression artifacts popping into the pictures. That's why they've been going to 2-discs for most movies with a Theatrical and S.E./D.C. version. Such as the latest Stargate and Legend releases. Plus some players and people have trouble with the Seamless Branching used for incorperating new scenes. Since it causes a brief pause as the player acesses those scenes.

Note also that audio tracks take up some room as well. Such as the case with LOTR's 4 Audio Comentaries, etc. That's why the EE was split over 2 discs, so that it could maintain the highest quality video and audio. And PJ did release the theatrical versions of both films months before the EE. And none of the extras are carried over from one version to the other. So owning both is no big deal. Fitting the original version would have been improbable, as it would have meant encoding at a lower bitrate.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree that for some movies it might not be possible. Like for Star wars with many minor changes throughout, or LOTR that spans 2 disks, but for many (or most) I don't see why it would be such a big deal. The seamless branching shouldn't be a problem, I'm sorry to say, but if your DVD player can't havdle it, move up to a better DVD player. That or just accept the 1/2 second pause. I mean, you don't gripe because you can't get a high res picture on your $99 TV or that you can't get stereo sound out of your mono VCR. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice a bit to keep up with technology.

Most are just an extra scene or two spliced in anyhow, so the seemless branching technique would be perfect, and is on the movies that incorporate it. I just wish more movies would do the same.

And for Bit rate- that's why I love the 2 DVD sets. Keep the extras on a seperate DVD and max out your Bit rate. As much as I like the comentary tracks- get as many people together as possible and do as few as possible. Since you have to have a different region DVD player to play DVD's from a different region where the language may be different (that's a lot of differents)- keep off some of those extra language tracks and max out the bitrate. I mean, why is it neccessary to have a French track on my Wrath of Kahn Regoin 1 NTSC DVD?

Yes the Xmen is like the Stargate SE in that respect, and they both pull it off perfectly.

=MATT=