Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will anyone miss Zach Malamute?

Toyfare #50 claims this is his last issue. I for one will not miss him. I've been reading that mag since the first two seasonal issues were published, and I think I stopped reading Zach's column by issue #1 or #2.

I stopped reading that magazine a while ago, it became too much of the same stuff over and over and nothing that creative. The Zach stuff is a perfect example of this, take a thin concept and beat it to death for several years without really making it fresh or new, and folks will get tired of it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Toyfare started out as a promising magazine, but now it seems like all the editors just use the magazine to furher their own personal interests. Hence the high level of Wrestling toys coverage and McFarlane stuff. Their Star Wars coverage has become pathetic since EP1. When they do specials on Star Wars, they're so full of blatant inaccuracies I find myself tempted to rip the magazine to shreds.

Case in Point #1: they get the Small/Large Head Han Solo from the initial twelve completely backwards. In their version the large head Han was a product of rushing the toys to market and the small head was the corrected version, which followed through to the end of the toy line. If this was the case then why did ROTJ and POTF cards only have large head Han Solos? ESB cards had a few small head versions, but only because of stores returning SW carded backstock to be re-packaged. If a magazine of their supposed caliber can't get a simple fact like this straight, then how can we trust the rest of their coverage?

Case in Point #2: their version of the rocket-firing Fett story. In their world, Rocket-Firing Fett was made and shipped to market; but after the Battlestar Galactica toy related death, thousands of parents hoping to cash in on their kid's suffering would purposely aim Fett's missile into their kid's mouth in the hopes he would start choking. Thus, they would then sue Kenner and Lucasfilm. Supposedly this is why Lucasfilm liscensed so many products, to cover lawyer fees and pay-off for these families to keep quiet.

Huh??! So is Toyfare now the National Enquirer of the toy world? Never bothering to check out a story (unless its a wrestling story), and just printing hear-say?

Sorry, if I went off the topic, I've had a beef with Toyfare building up for years now. As for Zach Malamute, at this point I cold care less. He's just a trivial part of a now worthless toy magazine.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I agree that the whole mag has gone downhill over the past several years.

In this month's issue, the mailbag staff asks where all the SW collectors are - since Episode II is near. What do they expect when they give 1 page of "incoming" releases per month?

I still like reading through it (this month has an article about Stan Winston's new ventures) but not for anything SW related.

Yeah, that was another thing, the wrestling figure coverage really started taking over that magazine and they're all pretty lame IMO. No imagination there, no real play value, just violence and playing out those silly plotlines about who broke who's head open with a bottle of acid or whatever. FEH! I don't care that The Rock has 10,000 different figures or Kurt Angle has removable clothes. The high coverage of these toys in TF have given that magazine removable dignity.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Rest assured, given the way Wizard sucks--I mean, works--Zach will have his own magazine soon.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I just read Toyfare for the action figure cartoons. Iron Man drinks (hic!), Ewoks get eaten a lot, and Hulk can't talk no good. I seldom found any helpful info from the mag itself.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Twisted Mego Theatre is probably the only thing keeping the magazine going, although even that has been strained for ideas lately.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Question So what Toy Mag do you like?

I do find some interesting stories and info in Toyfare, occasionally. But I see many of my fellow posters do not care for the mag. Well then, answer my question in the subject post. And please elaborate. Thanks!
    Shop Smart! Shop S-Mart!

Lee's Action Figure News and Toy Review, although their price guide is more than a little unreliable.

Tomart's Action Figure Digest is pretty good also, however the Barnes and Noble near me has stopped stocking it.

Honestly, though, I see no point in spending $6 on a magazine when I can get the info months earlier here at SSG for free. Then I can use the money I save for new toys!!

Not to kiss up or anything.

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go clean off my nose.