Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Wal-Mart in the news again!!!! Hiring illegals for floor work.

Here is the news. Man so much for trying to keep that wholesome image by
    trying to discourage their female employees from posing.
    __________________________________________________ _________

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Federal agents raided Wal-Mart's headquarters and 60 of its stores across the country Thursday, arresting more than 300 illegal workers in an immigration crackdown at the world's biggest retailer.

The workers were members of cleaning crews hired by outside contractors, but federal law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity said Wal-Mart had direct knowledge of the immigration violations. They cited recordings of meetings and conversations among Wal-Mart executives, managers and contractors.

''We have seen no evidence of this from the INS, and if that turns out to be true, we will cooperate fully with law enforcement officials,'' Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams said.

The workers were arrested as they finished their night shifts at Wal-Mart stores in 21 states. Agents also took boxes of documents from an executive's office at Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville.

Top Wal-Mart officials learned of Thursday's sweep when store managers began calling headquarters for guidance in dealing with the raids.

An employer can face civil and criminal penalties for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants or failing to comply with certain employee record-keeping regulations.

Wal-Mart Stores had sales last year of $244.5 billion. The company has about 1.1 million employees in the United States, and it uses more than 100 third-party contractors to clean more than 700 stores nationwide, Williams said.

''We require each of these contractors to use only legal workers,'' she said.

The law enforcement sources said the investigation grew out of earlier probes of Wal-Mart cleaning crew contractors in 1998 and 2001.

All of the arrested workers were in the country illegally, said Garrison Courtney, a spokesman with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They were detained at local immigration offices. Those who had no criminal record were released with instructions to appear before immigration judges.

Wal-Mart is not the first big company to be targeted in an immigration investigation. Six managers at Tyson Foods, based one town away from Wal-Mart in Springdale, were charged in an immigrant-smuggling case in 2001.

One defendant shot himself to death a few months after being charged, and two managers entered guilty pleas early in the case. A jury acquitted the poultry company and three other managers.

Ulysses A. Yannas, an analyst with the investment firm Buckman, Buckman and Reid, said it is too much to expect Wal-Mart to keep track of vendors' workers. But he said the probe could present a problem for the company. AP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

also saying that they knew about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Evidence including recordings indicates that Wal-Mart had direct knowledge of immigration violations involving its cleaning contractors at stores across the country, federal law enforcement sources said.

Federal agents raided Wal-Mart's headquarters and 60 of its stores across the nation Thursday, arresting more than 300 illegal workers in an immigration crackdown at the world's biggest retailer.

The workers were members of cleaning crews hired by outside contractors, but federal law enforcement officials who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity said Wal-Mart knew of the violations. They cited recordings of meetings and conversations among Wal-Mart executives, managers and contractors.

``We have seen no evidence of this from the INS, and, if that turns out to be true, we will cooperate fully with law enforcement officials,'' Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams said.

The workers were arrested as they finished their night shifts at Wal-Mart stores in 21 states. Agents also hauled away several boxes of documents from an executive's office at Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville.

An employer can face civil and criminal penalties for knowingly hiring illegal immigrants or failing to comply with certain employee recordkeeping regulations.

Wal-Mart Stores had sales last year of $244.5 billion. The company has about 1.1 million employees in the United States, and it uses more than 100 third-party contractors to clean more than 700 stores nationwide, Williams said.

``We require each of these contractors to use only legal workers,'' she said.

The law enforcement sources said the investigation grew out of earlier probes of Wal-Mart cleaning crew contractors in 1998 and 2001.

All the arrested workers were in the country illegally, said Garrison Courtney, a spokesman with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They were detained at local immigration offices. Those who had no criminal record were released with instructions to appear before immigration judges.

Many of the workers said they were Eastern European and a few were of other ethnicities, Courtney said.

Wal-Mart is not the first big company to be targeted in an immigration investigation. Six managers at Tyson Foods, based one town away from Wal-Mart in Springdale, were charged in an immigrant-smuggling case in 2001.

One defendant shot himself to death a few months after being charged, and two managers entered guilty pleas early in the case. A jury acquitted the poultry company and three other managers.

Ulysses A. Yannas, an analyst with the investment firm Buckman, Buckman and Reid, said it is too much to expect Wal-Mart to keep track of all of its vendors' workers. But he said the investigation could present a problem for the company.

``It is a question of what else it might bring out. These are long, drawn-out processes,'' Yannas said.

Top Wal-Mart officials learned of Thursday's sweep when store managers began calling headquarters for guidance in dealing with the raids.

Courtney said agents searched the office of one of Wal-Mart's executives. Williams, the spokeswoman, said they spent several hours in the office of a ``mid-level manager'' at Wal-Mart's headquarters and carried away several boxes of paperwork.

She said she did not know if any other Wal-Mart administrative offices were searched.

The arrests were made at stores in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

so there IS some justice in the world

sorta smoke and mirrors, though, hiring illegals and paying them peanuts is one of the less harmful practices they utilize.... there were only 300 arrests, after all......
    pretty hard to comment further, as I feel somewhat religiously political about this whole issue
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Well if they knew about it then they are at fault. If they didnt then they should not be punished in any form. I am sure they didnt inspect the workers and ask for green cards as they came in to clean the floors. Cleaning companies are contracted through home office. The store level has no idea who is coming and who isnt. They people change every week. This is just a case trying to get at Wal-mart in my opinion.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

At any rate maybe it will inspire to have things further investigated in other areas of the business practices so that things can get improved around here at WM.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

This is just a case trying to get at Wal-mart in my opinion.
    And that's bad because....
    chirp......
    chirp....

JK.

But seriously, when noone knows who you are (annonimity) and you change people every week, chances are, something is up. Sometimes it's easier to turn a blind eye and say...oh, they're just "contractors".
    May the force be with you.

reports are that wal mart was aware their contractors were using illegals. if this is proven turn, i think wal mart can be fined $10,000 for each illegal worker.
    which would be 3 million.........pocket change for the wal mart heirs!

I like how they use the word 'raid' when the agents probably just walked in there and whatnot. When I hear raid I think of more SWAT guys coming through the window with MP5s raised and some shotgun guys busting down the door. That would be fun...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

As pointed out on last night's The Daily Show, it sucks that they waited till these workers FINISHED their shifts before arresting them, that's just coldblooded. Beyond the fines they should have to pay, I think WM and the contracted company should also be forced to give fair wage backpay to these workers who they exploited, whether these people get sent back to their countries of origin or not.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

eh, this won't effect (affect?) a thing. Wal-mart will continue to do these sort of things and WM will still be the #1 retailer in the world.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    which would be 3 million.........pocket change for the wal mart heirs!
    Yep, like my theory goes. They keep doing illegal things because they are making more money by doing this stuff for taking a risk of getting a slap on the hand. They save/make $10 million for every $3 million fine. Do the math.
    MWHAHAHAHA!