Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northern Lights

Northern Lights

We're in the middle of one of the largest displays of the northern lights in decades, has anyone gotten a good look at them? From what I've read online they are visible as far south as Texas which is amazing.

Last night I got the opportunity to watch them for about 1 hour as we flew from New England to Ohio. I had never seen them before and it was breath taking. From horizon to horizon they filled the sky. Sometimes in bands, sometimes in large billowing shapes. Just amazing. There was even some pretty good color at one point as most of the sky took a brilliant red hue. It was funny to listen to the pilots on frequency as they missed radio calls due to staring out the window at the Northern Lights. Of course that never happened to us.

Tonight I'm on a short flight to Chicago and back so I'm really hoping to see them again. Very cool.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Cool, but being as I live in a Subarb outside the city of Chicago, the stars even get wiped out my the "city lights". :~( If I remember, perhaps I can take a drive about an hour and a half West of here. I had to drive that far to see the last meteor shower.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Aurora..........Borealis......
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Exhaust Port
    Tonight I'm on a short flight to Chicago and back so I'm really hoping to see them again. Very cool.
    You have seen/read The Langoliers, right?

Have a care!

jeddah
    eVerlasTing

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah
    You have seen/read The Langoliers, right?
    Ugh, thanks for reminding me......blah.

Very cool. Red is the rare color. Unfortunately for me the last few days have been cloud and we're getting snowed on (finally), so in all likelihood I'm miss them.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

My brother in law is staioned in Alaska in the army. He sees them all the time. He says they are amazing. I have never seen them and would love too.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I found it weird in the movie GODS AND GENERALS that Lee and his boys were in the southern states admiring the Northern Lights.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

When I spent the summer working at an Island resort near Rainy Lake, Minnesota, they had a couple nights with the Northern lights. Quite beautiful I must say.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    I found it weird in the movie GODS AND GENERALS that Lee and his boys were in the southern states admiring the Northern Lights.
    Well, when we have solar eruptions or flares of this magnitude it is possible to see the Northern Lights quite far south. As I stated in my first post the current events can be seen as far south as Texas, Georgia and the like. Not to mention that the lack of city glow in the late 1800's would make viewing even easier.