Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I also picked up Thor #1 and #2 (they were sold out of issue 3), but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.
    A wise choice.

I just finished Moloch #2. On the whole, Before Watchmen has been excellent - far beyond my horrible expectations for it. Among a host of standout issues, though, this one might have been the best (though last month's Minutemen issue was also worthy of the distinction). I negatively criticized this entire line before I read them and am happy I was so wrong.

Just got Star Wars #1, brand new series taking place right after A New Hope. Its pretty good, I look forward to the next issue.
    Good trader(s): TheDarthVader...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    A wise choice.

I just finished Moloch #2. On the whole, Before Watchmen has been excellent - far beyond my horrible expectations for it. Among a host of standout issues, though, this one might have been the best (though last month's Minutemen issue was also worthy of the distinction). I negatively criticized this entire line before I read them and am happy I was so wrong.
    I picked up Thor #4 yesterday, but they're still sold out of issue #3. I guess I will have to resort to ordering it off of eBay or wait for the TPB.

So far, it's a great story, though. It's one of those rare comic books that I'm pretty sure people are still going to be talking about 10-20 years from now.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I've recently bought Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures Vol. 1 and iZombie Vol. 4.

Highest recommendation for both (though you should probably read earlier volumes to get what's going on).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I picked up Thor #4 yesterday, but they're still sold out of issue #3. I guess I will have to resort to ordering it off of eBay or wait for the TPB.

So far, it's a great story, though. It's one of those rare comic books that I'm pretty sure people are still going to be talking about 10-20 years from now.
    Agreed. Thor #3 was well done and the story really kicked it up in #4.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Agreed. Thor #3 was well done and the story really kicked it up in #4.
    Still no sign of Thor #3 at my comic book store.

I did pick up All-New X-Men #6 and, even though they changed the artist, I enjoyed it a lot. There's a lot of good drama as the team adjusts to learning about their future selves, but there are some great little side jokes about our present times as well. Like Cylcops' comments "Why is all the water in bottles?...Did something happen to the water?" Or, "Five dollars?! For a magazine?! ... This place is a nightmare."

I really like how Jean is kind of stepping forward as the leader of the team instead of Cyclops now.

I also picked up 'The Goon in Virtue and the Grim Consequences Thereof' TPB. It's a series that I've always wanted to check out, but just never found a good jumping on point. I really liked it and will try to track down a few of the other TPBs. I've always enjoyed books where they take the traditional archetype of a thug/villain and make that character the 'hero' of the story.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

...there are some great little side jokes about our present times as well. Like Cylcops' comments "Why is all the water in bottles?...Did something happen to the water?" Or, "Five dollars?! For a magazine?! ... This place is a nightmare."
    When are they supposed to be from? Given the sliding timescale, shouldn't they still be from the 21st century?

Just curious.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    When are they supposed to be from? Given the sliding timescale, shouldn't they still be from the 21st century?

Just curious.
    They're intentionally vague on exactly what year the original team has been pulled from. In real world time, they were pulled right out of X-Men #8 and their clothing and hairstyles suggest that they came from 1964. But obviously they can't be from the 1960s because that would mean that modern Scott Summers, Hank McCoy, Bobby Drake and Warren Worthington would all be in their late-60s right now.

The modern X-Men also keep making jokes about the original team being 12-years-old, but that can't be the case. Because, when pressed about the ages of the original team in the 1960s book, Stan Lee stated that they were all between the ages of 16-19 years old (they graduated from the school in issue #6 after all). Plus, Hank McCoy is already a doctor (which he technically never was until the 1970s); but if I could accept any character as being the "Doogie Howser" of the Marvel Universe, then it would be Hank McCoy.

Bendis has been bending the rules of comic book time to the breaking point; but I see why it's necessary. If they did a more realistic timetable and pulled the original team out of the 90s or the 00s, then it wouldn't really feel like the original team. So, I'm not that worried about it. I'm just so glad to have human Beast and Jean Grey back, that I'm totally fine with whatever rewriting of the Marvel universe they need to do in order to make that happen. I guess, at the end of the day it's just a comic book.

New Avengers #1 and #2 feel like an extension of Hickman's run on both FF titles. That's a good thing to me. I've liked the new Thunderbolts so far, which is strange considering that I despise Deadpool. I've only read the first issue of the new X-Men and was only mildly interested in following rest.