Page 17 of 47 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Re: So, what COMICS did you buy this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Padawan
    New Comics(4/20/04)
    Punisher. Ennis kicks it hardcore. My fave comic on the racks right now ( and not just because of the movie). The MAX imprint fits Frank like a glove. And Micro's back, which is cool. Lots of cussing and violence.
    Agreed, but I doubt Micro will be around much longer, considering the tone of the series.

Besides Punisher #5, I picked up
    Star Wars Republic #64 - one hell of a confusing and boring story. Flashback in a flashback in a flashback in a flashback in a... in other words it was like the backwards episode of Seinfeld, but terrible. We get a little insight into Palpatine and that's it.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

I'm still continuing getting "Empire" and "Star Wars Tales" and some one shots that come out now and again but I steer clear of "republic" and "clone wars" stuff because of disinterest.

I love star wars tales because of its humor...the story relating to the breakfast club was fantastic to say the least in the latest issue.

I also bought the reprinting of Fathom graphic novel...god I love love love Michael Turner's art. I would love to see him do some art for dark horse, Star Wars titles in particular!!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Padawan
    New Comics(4/20/04)
    Gotham Knights. Another banger issue. I like how the villains get as much "screentime" as Bats. And that Joker is certifiable ain't he? WOW! (circle finger around ear...)

Superman. JIM LEE!!!! JIM LEEE!!!!! And a confusing "Hey we'll tell you the ending before the beginning" setup where Lois is...gone ( and Clark is Catholic apparently.)

Batman. Thank goodness a decent non Azzarello story line with Penguin AND Scarecrow. But I miss Loeb and Lee. ( sniffle)

JLA. If Claremont and Byrne are TRYING to do retro, then this kitsch is allright. But what I think is happening is these two legendary titans are both pulling on opposite ends of the creative rope and were getting mediocrity right down the center. And the exclamation points on the covers make me want to slap...somebody.

Green Lantern. I just found out that after this stroy arc is done, the book gets cancelled and thay are BRINGING BACK HAL JORDAN. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why oh why can't a SINGLE, SOLITARY CHARACTER in comics STAY DEAD?!?!?! Yeah, Hal was the coolest GL, but the fact that DC had the balls to turn him looney and then have his best friend kill him with an arrow was uber dramatic. Heaven forfend they stick to their guns about an editorial decision.
    Good to read some reviews of something else other than Marvel titles (the only Marvel title I read is Punisher). DC definately has been doing some top notch stuff: Superman/Batman, Gotham Knights, the newest Superman story line, HERO, JSA, The Legion...

And then they balance it out with crap like the Claremont JLA storyline and Green Lantern. The recent JLA stories have been terrible. And I can't believe DC is bringing Hal Jordan back at GL. The Kyle story in space was pretty boring, but to bring back Hal they must be desperate. Looks like I may be dropping these two titles soon.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

I wouldn't mind bringing back Hal. . . if DC would finally get the nerve to do an Ultimate-type series. Hal and Guy and Jon and Kilowog Ch'p and Gnort and Alan and all the gang hanging out. They could even throw in Kyle as the stupid sidekick. Kyle sucks.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Lots today, came pretty close to cleaning out the whole bin. Here's the breakdown:

MK Spidey #1
    1602 #8
    Secret War #1 (luckily found a copy at an out of town store!)
    Silver Surfer #'s 4 and 5
    Amazing Spidey #506
    Spectacular Spidey #12
    DD #59
    FF #512
    MK FF #2
    Hulk #'s 69, 70 and 71
    Uncanny #443
    New X-Men #156
    Wolverine #'s 13 and 14
    Batman #625 and 626
    GI Joe: Reloaded #1 and 2

Lots to catch up on.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

What is "Secret War #1" about? Is it any relation to the Secret War series that came out by Marvel in the 1980's?
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Secret War - I believe - is a book about SHIELD. I haven't read it yet, it's a 5 issue limited series by BM Bendis. Eternal Padawan was gushing over it, so I picked it up when I finally found a copy. I'm usually a sucker for most things Bendis anyhow.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Beyonder!

Anyone getting the Frank Miller Robocop story? I just realized that was happening and it's already up to issue 5!!!! Nice comic shop I go to.

The Frank Miller Robocop is just awesome!! A great, over-the-top action fest. Lot's of crazy violence, and a very skewed vision of the future.

The artwork is great too. Highly detailed, reminds me of Geoff Darrows artwork.

I would highly suggest it if you like that kind of stuff. I love it!

I had a look at the cover, it looks like he might have someone else finishing the art this time - Frank's usually QUITE heavy with the black ink on his own stuff. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find the first few issues of this series.

Quote Originally Posted by jjreason
    I had a look at the cover, it looks like he might have someone else finishing the art this time - Frank's usually QUITE heavy with the black ink on his own stuff.
    Frank's only doing covers and writing the series. "Sequential adaptation" by Steven Grant... whatever that means . The interiors are done by Juan Jose Ryp. I had never seen his stuff before this series, I dig it. Like I said before = very detailed stuff.

Which cover did ya see jjreason? For some reason, Avatar press is stuck in the early 90's with the whole alternate cover thing. There's actually 3 different covers for each issue (It seems like they do this for every title):

Frank Miller
    Juan Jose Ryp
    Juan Jose Ryp wraparound cover

I try to go for the wraparound covers myself, I think they look the best. Here's a nice pic of one of the wraparound covers:
    http://www.avatarpress.com/robocop/robo2wrap.jpg

Oh yeah... this weeks buys for me:

Thor 78
    Firestorm 1
    Thanos 10
    Ultimates TPB 2
    Last edited by Reefer Shark; 05-06-2004 at 10:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add this weeks books!