Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    More back issues. I'm almost done with the Marvel 100 "series," after online winning and online buying Punisher 100, Wolverine 100, Classic X-Men 100, Sgt. Fury & His HC 100, and G.I. Joe 100.

Here's what I have/had from comics issues #100 from Marvel Comics:
    Star Wars 100
    X-Men 100
    Captain America 100
    Fantastic Four 100
    Tales to Astonish 100
    Tales of Suspense 100
    Amazing Spiderman 100 (sold this one about a decade back )
    X-Factor 100
    Avengers West Coast 100 (used to be West Coast Avengers)
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spiderman 100
    Web of Spiderman 100
    Excalibur 100
    Conan 100
    The Defenders 100
    Silver Surfer 100
    Iron Man 100
    Master of Kung Fu 100
    Power Man & Iron Fist 100
    New Mutants 100
    Daredevil 100
    Alpha Flight 100
    Marvel Tales 100
    Marvel Comics Presents 100
    Marvel Age 100
    Punisher 100
    Wolverine 100
    Classic X-Men 100
    Sgt. Fury & His Howling Commandos 100
    G.I. Joe 100
    [edit] Forgot about the hero get-together titles:
    Marvel Team-Up 100
    Marvel Two-For-One 100

I might have missed a couple, too. Still looking for Avengers 100 EDIT: I did find this one two years back, and possibly Journey into Mystery 100 or Strange Tales 100 (althought those'll be expensive)

And, from 7/6 of that year:
    I bought Cable #100, to basically complete my Marvel 100s "series." I am forgetting about Journey into Mystery 100 (on cost) and older titles like Strange Tales or from the pre-1962 era (when superhero titles began again). Unless new titles get to that special 100th issue, but even then I may pass on them.
    There have been some new titles, so this week, I added the following:
    Exiles #100
    Spidergirl #100
    Ultimate X-Men #100
    Ultimate Spiderman #100
    Incredible Hulk (1999 series) #100
    X-Men (1991 series) #100
    What If? #100
    "That's what Sheev said."

I recently picked up the original WildCATS mini-series by Jim Lee. Not really sure why, just kind of got nostalgic for the early Image comics. I remember back in 1992-93 how everyone was going on and on about how these would all be worth tons of money in a few years, but I was able to pick up all 4 issues for under $4.

It's still crazy to think that next year will be the 20th anniversary of WildCATS, Savage Dragon, Pitt and Maxx (which were all my favorite books from those early Image days).
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I recently picked up the original WildCATS mini-series by Jim Lee. Not really sure why, just kind of got nostalgic for the early Image comics. I remember back in 1992-93 how everyone was going on and on about how these would all be worth tons of money in a few years, but I was able to pick up all 4 issues for under $4.

It's still crazy to think that next year will be the 20th anniversary of WildCATS, Savage Dragon, Pitt and Maxx (which were all my favorite books from those early Image days).
    And I remember the small press craze of the mid-1980s, where EVERY title was going to be the next TMNT. I have several that were "rare" or "hot" that are now like a rare steak gone cold. But I do have the original TMNT run up to #20 (except #1 is a 2nd print).

Funny enough, the most valuable unsigned, non-variant comic I've seen from the early 1990s was Transformers #80 (the final issue), since the print run was so insanely low. I've seen guys at conventions asking $200+ for it. Flash forward a couple of years, and G.I. Joe #155 is the same story; I think it even was going for more than TF #80 when I've seen it.

I guess error collectors want it because Flint and Shipwreck are twice as big as Gung Ho and Roadblock, Quick Kick is back from the dead, and Storm Shadow's on the Joe team. All Transformers has is a beautiful Wildman cover of the resurrected Optimus Prime about to put a serious hurting on Bludgeon, who's just disemboweled Wheeljack. (Transformers at least went out when they still had an awesome artist on board.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Doesn't that last TF have the caption "... in a four-issue limited series" on the cover? Nice. And I stopped collecting TF with about #50 or so, plus GI Joe about #80... dang it!

TF started slipping badly in the early 30s; the subplot with Blaster being labeled a traitor by Autobot leader Grimlock was the only interesting thing. By 50, it was obvious Budiansky couldn't keep himself interested anymore, and artist Jose Delbo was, well, bad--for the title, at least; he was decent on other books over the years. Budiansky left with 55, and UK writer Simon Furman took over with 56, soon after bringing over fellow Brits Geoff Senior and Andrew Wildman (two of the most underrated artists of the decade, IMHO). It turned into this amazing space epic, but never got back the readers and was canceled with #80.

And, yes, it did list the final issue as "#80 in a four-issue limited series." Nice joke, since it was never intended to last to a fifth issue.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Speaking of which....

I got Transformers Classics Volume 1 a few days ago. Man, talk about rose-colored memories. It's not horrible, but it's not great, either. This volume contains the original miniseries as well as the short-lived "golden age of Budiansky Transformers" with Ratchet's quest to find the Dinobots and save the Autobots, and Buster absorbing the Creation Matrix. The storytelling's decent, but nothing at all to write home about, and, without the surprise of several major points (like how Ratchet does finally triumph over Megatron), it seems a bit hollow. The writers are all top-notch fellows, too: Mantlo, Macchio, and Budiansky. So I'm guessing they were just churning out schlock for a paycheck.

I also, despite having sworn to drop the series, got the second volume of IDW's Transformers ongoing ("International Incident"). A friend recommended trying the title again when these issues first came out, and it was remaindered on Amazon. Wow. Color me impressed. A few minor inconsistencies with characterization (since when is Onslaught a dummy who can't formulate a plan?), but, otherwise, the best new Transformers story I've read in ages. I really find it tough to believe this is the same writer, since the first volume was definitely among the worst comics I've ever read. And I got all the Image #1's back in the day, so I know bad comics (with apologies to Shadowhawk and Savage Dragon, and, well, I guess the first Spawn was pretty decent, too).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

The first two issues of Action Comics have been much better than I assumed they would be. Green Lantern continues the storyline and direction and seems completely unaffected by the reboot. Has anyone else read any of the new 52?

OMG (only mint graded)... I bought a new comic this week. Amazing Spiderman #700. I passed on the 50th anniv. variant cover and just got the "regular" one, but I haven't read it yet. It's been a while since I've heard a RADIO COMMERCIAL for a comic book (supposed to be a big and shocking story).

Well, I have given up print copies of my comics, but just got caught up on the Lantern Series (Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern The New Guardians, and Red Lantern).

I gotta say, I much prefer having my comics on my iPad.
    May the force be with you.