Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647 LastLast
    I liked the book (won't spoilerize any plot details), especially all the "extras" in it (expanded mail column, including answers from Stan "the Man" Lee himself; small pics of ALL 700 covers from The Amazing Spider-Man; and the mini stories at the end).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I've been keeping up with All-New X-Men as well as trying out several of the other Marvel Now titles.

I was a bit disappointed by Indestructable Hulk, because I feel that it focuses too much on Bruce Banner. For me a good Hulk comic needs to be 99% Hulk and somewhere between 0-1% Bruce Banner.

FF (to be distinguished from Fantastic Four) seems pretty interesting and I've always been a fan of Mike Allred's work. I'm just not sure if it's a book that I will follow regularly. It is nice to see that Artie and Leech haven't been forgotten about though.

Uncanny Avengers is alright, but I just have no interest whatsoever in the Rogue/Scarlett Witch dynamic. These two are still fighting over something that happened in the comics 7 years ago. Sure it might still be fresh in their minds, but it's probably not the best way to bring in new readers. In fact, the whole team just feels kind of flat to me.

Thunderbolts has the potential to be awesome, but it just doesn't seem to be living up that potential. You would think that a book featuring Punisher, Elektra, Deadpool, Venom and led by Red Hulk would be action packed and amazing; but for now it's like an action film that just takes waaaaay too long to get off the ground. Plus, the art is not good... at all. The penciller seems like he learned how to draw only by copying other comic book artists. It's not even second tier, more like fourth tier. Third tier at best; but I think that's only because the coloring keeps it from being an absolute disaster. I'll still keep tabs on the book, though, and hope that it improves very soon.

I've heard lots of really good stuff about the new Thor and some promising things about the new Iron Man, but there's only so many books I can buy each month.

I'm kind of cooling off on Wolverine and the X-Men, because it features characters that are also in All-New X-Men, but they don't seem to even exist in the same universe. Marvel really needs to work on their book-to-book continuity. Plus, the book has lost a lot of it's character and charm now that Chris Bachalo has moved on.

I'm loving All-New X-Men though. Brian Michael Bendis has been one of my favorite writers ever since I read 'House of M' a few years back and, 4 issues into the series, he hasn't disappointed yet. I love having the original team back and I'm glad they pulled them out of the past from such an early point in their career (they came right out of X-Men #8), because it makes them feel more "pure" and untainted. But they're also not as cohesive of a team, since Beast quit the team in that issue, so it's going to be interesting to see if they form the same strong bonds after seeing their own futures. Also, having the O5 pop into the future and one of the first things they see is modern Scott Summers working side by side with Magneto was awesome.

Issue #5 comes out on Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it. Supposedly, Bendis tweeted something about #7 making everybody cry and I'm a bit worried that means they might kill off modern Beast, because SPOILER! he did have a heart attack at the end of last issue.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I liked the new Thor series best of all the Marvel Now titles. I am still saddened that Jonathan Hickman is no longer writing Fantastic Four and FF, since his run was my favorite on those characters since John Byrne's run in the 80s. In fact, I like Hickman's tenure better. I've given him a chance on the Avengers, but I'm still not convinced. I will give him a few more issues. Additionally, Kieron Gillen's run on Journey into Mystery was outstanding and I haven't gotten that vibe from his move over to Iron Man. He's a talented and innovative writer, so hopefully he'll be given the freedom to stretch on that big name title. I like the premise of the new Hulk series, since it's something new for the character.

On the DC front, a year and a half after the New 52, the only titles that I think are noteworthy are Aquaman, Justice League, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman, with WW being my favorite. I haven't liked the reintroduction of the Joker. I grasp that characters have to evolve and I endorse change, but this seems quite sensationalistic. All the other titles seem gimmicky to me. The new costumes on the major players are welcome updates, but those of the secondary and tertiary characters have not gone down well with me.

This past week, I got

Justice League #15
    Aquaman #15
    He-man #5

I finally gave up on Green Lantern thanks to Simon Baz.

I've been catching up on Marvel Zombies titles.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post

I finally gave up on Green Lantern thanks to Simon Baz.
    I'm holding on to get a bit of resolution with the Sinestro/Hal story. Sinestro is a far more interesting character than Hal, which is what makes the title palatable to me. I can't say Baz has inspired my readership yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    I'm holding on to get a bit of resolution with the Sinestro/Hal story. Sinestro is a far more interesting character than Hal, which is what makes the title palatable to me. I can't say Baz has inspired my readership yet.
    This, Baz hasn't done much for me as of yet. We will see. Sinestro has always been to more interesting character over Hal.
    May the force be with you.

Guy is a more interesting character than Hal or Sinestro.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Picked up All-New X-Men #5 and was thrilled to see that they seem to have finally done away with lion-Beast. His new look is kind of like a modernized version of his 1970s appearance. So, Jean Grey and human-Beast are back for good and modern Beast doesn't look like a total idiot anymore. This has got to be the most I've enjoyed a comic book since the Walter and Louise Simonson run on X-Factor back in the 80s.

I also picked up Thor #1 and #2 (they were sold out of issue 3), but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Wow; that makes TWO new comics in the past couple weeks for me: first issue of Superior Spiderman, of which I have yet to read. I did NOT get a variant cover (for an extra $1.01, even).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(