The Color Purple

This is one of the few movies that makes me cry, if I've paid attention to it.

Whoopi Goldberg and Oprah Winfrey began their acting careers in this film.

Danny Glover fans get a treat to see the hero-portraying actor play the bad guy in this film.

It's a Steve Speilberg movie about moral decency, amongst other things like the black woman's struggle in America.

However, it doesn't turn me off like many LifeTime channel programs for women that portray all men as the bad guy.

The book was a required reading classic for many in high school, but turned into a movie, it was done as a very emotional, and musical, masterpiece.

It's one of those off-the-beaten-path movies that you wouldn't expect me to praise.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Are you familiar with the new (well, kind of new) special edition DVD ?

I was thinking about getting it eventually and I am curious if the extras are noteworthy.

No I've never seen a new DVD version. It may have been the older version I've seen in stores. I have this film on VHS.

I'd love to hear what Speilberg has to say about things he showed in the movie, as well as Danny Glover's perspective on playing the bad guy.

Oprah and Whoopi's comments, looking back at what began their careers, might also be interesting. (actually Oprah was already a rising star I think).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

...and Whoopi was already acting well before this film came out...

Hey Tycho, is your posting of this film your atonement for that misunderstanding you recently had with your neighbour ?

jeddah
    eVerlasTing

The color Purple is a great film that was not reconized by the Oscars. It made me cry and thankful for what I have in life. All the actors were perfect. It's one of my all time favorites. Just a great story. I loved Harpo.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jeddah
    ...and Whoopi was already acting well before this film came out...

Hey Tycho, is your posting of this film your atonement for that misunderstanding you recently had with your neighbour ?

jeddah
    Nope. I think my misunderstanding with my neighbor was almost a year ago, possibly.

I've owned The Color Purple on VHS for many years now. I own a lot of movies about the advancement of society and mankind throughout American history. The Civil Rights era is included (not that this is what this thread is about though).

But anyway, though I'm a white-eye, I own a few choice movies about black history, as well as American Indian history, and other groups I'm interested in.

A life-long Star Trek fan, Gene Roddenberry introduced me to a fascination with the human condition.

There's a lot in The Color Purple that reflects on that.

Add to that, Harpo's character was funny. Notice how his Dad (Albert) has the exact same relationship to his own father. We saw 3 generations of men trying to take care of themselves the exact same, failing way. Sort of. Harpo did have an entrepreneur in him and made that juke joint bring him a cash flow - and in the end, his wife and he made things work for them. They were real partners and made a success out of that.
    Last edited by Tycho; 11-03-2003 at 06:47 PM.

This movie made me cry again - when Celli is reunited with her grown children who'd she never got to see grow up. Sophia (Oprah) also goes through a similar moment when the mayor's wife drives her home for Christmas. I don't see how when slavery was illegal, she could be kept as the made and not given a choice as to whether she'd ever return to her family for 8 years after they let her out of jail! That made me so angry.

I know the world was cruel to black Americans, but they have to have some sort of reasoning for keeping her away from her family for so long: like parole or whatever. The fact is that she punched out the mayor and caused a disturbance, but no one else gets prison and then slavery-as-parole after that except a black person I guess.

I have always enjoyed movies such as this. I studied to be a sociologist so the stories of this sort always fascinated me. Also such as with the episode "Far Beyond the Stars" from Deep Space Nine.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller View Post
    Also such as with the episode "Far Beyond the Stars" from Deep Space Nine.
    Another excellent story. As I'm a total Niner, I'm very familiar with the episode and the adventure of "Benny Russel." It reminds me of Celli's quote: "I may be black. I may be poor. I'm a woman. But Dead God I'm here!"